My first crane job... Tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beware of CO's with little or no experience working tree removals.

Never make a pick anywhere close to the crane's capacity at any given distance or angle, be extremely conservative in the size n weight of your picks until you've got a lot more crane jobs under your belt.

Learn your crane hand signals.

Get an integrated hardhat with two way radio communications, like the Peltor Pro Comm.

Get a green log weight chart calculator that'll give you an accurate estimate of how much a twenty foot long 30 inch Diameter red oak green log weighs. Answer? 6180 lbs.

The best advice I can give you's to make sure the CO's got lots of experience doing tree removals.

jomoco
I couldn't have said this any better myself. If this is your first one, having an experienced crane operator is the MOST important aspect of the job. They will know where the choker should be attached, how big a piece you can take for their capacity and how to make your cuts.

I work with one company who uses two climber on crane jobs. On big decurrent trees it's pretty effective and is a real time saver. I position my self for the cut, while the other guy rides the ball up, hooks the cable up then lowers himself straight down.
I always use a canvas tool bag I hang from my belt with my climbing line in it. You don't want your line to get tangle up in anything moving in the opposent direction, or as your being lifted riding the ball. You can toss the bucket once you get to your work area.

That's my job most days, setting chokers on the tips and rapelling out. I'd do it for free but don't tell my boss. Most fun u can have at work ? Somebody else usually cuts. Also always make release cut on side w sling so co can lift log off pinched saw !

Latest posts

Back