my first Fern gully tree take down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edited

This reply is related to how tramp started his climbing career not about this tree. I dont like cotton woods to climb let alone a rotten one.
It might just be a west coast thing but in high school forestry (basically landing rat 101) we were taking 100 ft doug firs out of peoples yard and it wasnt considerd anything extrordinary it was considerd stndard PNW run of the mill school work same as running 045's with 32" bars. I think because logging was so big back then that it was just expected as run of the mill woods work. I can still remember letting my first top go it was the ride of a life time swaying back and forth watch the top taking its time hitting the ground

Fun thread

Last edited:
It might just be a west coast thing but in high school forestry (basically landing rat 101) we were taking 100 ft doug firs out of peoples yard and it wasnt considerd anything extrordinary it was considerd stndard PNW run of the mill school work same as running 045's with 32" bars. I think because logging was so big back then that it was just expected as run of the mill woods work. I can still remember letting my first top go it was the ride of a life time swaying back and forth watch the top taking its time hitting the ground

Fun thread

I agree, climbing to the top of a tree and blowing the top out is easy...really is child's work. Where the job becomes difficult is the aforementioned fgt, standing dead,high risk rigging, etc etc etc.
As a climber it's your call as to weather you climb the tree or not ( not some jerk off sitting at a computer or even your boss) I've removed standing dead trees and even rigged out of them. But you can be sure that I assessed the tree to the best of my abilities to assure my self that I was taking as little risk as possible for my own safety.
I'm not saying I'm the best climber out there but what I am saying is that I've been climbing for quite some time now and I STILL have all my fingers, arms, legs and can still walk on my own recognizance.
I applaud your judgement op good job!

I agree, climbing to the top of a tree and blowing the top out is easy...really is child's work. Where the job becomes difficult is the aforementioned fgt, standing dead,high risk rigging, etc etc etc.
As a climber it's your call as to weather you climb the tree or not ( not some jerk off sitting at a computer or even your boss) I've removed standing dead trees and even rigged out of them. But you can be sure that I assessed the tree to the best of my abilities to assure my self that I was taking as little risk as possible for my own safety.
I'm not saying I'm the best climber out there but what I am saying is that I've been climbing for quite some time now and I STILL have all my fingers, arms, legs and can still walk on my own recognizance.
I applaud your judgement op good job!
This reply was to Tramps begining of his climbing days and how he learned. I totally agree on the snags and rotten trees.

glad you got that little feller down. Is that a picture of you standing next to the pile of wood?

Off subject, hope you dont mind. Been thinking about moving out west or to alaska. Someone was telling me the mosquitos are horrible up there in alaska. Is that true?

Yup that's me after burning 2 1/2 gallons of saw gas that day. . Used a Zoom Boom with a man basket. I'm standing on the stump there

you ain't alone Glenn. 2 yrs. ago i busted my back good. Gained about 40lbs. I didn't need from my cuttin' / in the riggin' weight. I am down to 212 right now and i ain't been easy. Don't feel bad, Sir. when i get done at the end of the day, i got something done. On acct. of guys like you and Gologit, and RandyMac and several others on this site. And puttin' up w/ slackmouth punked kids with cigs hangin' from there mouths has always pissed me off, too. Besides that, Cig smoke is nasty. Don't care who this offends.

I read this whole thread and i gotta commend you. Great job all the way around. And if it matters to any that don't already know, i am Cutter and Logging climber only. I enjoy learning this arborist side of tree work. I have made a lot of $ over the years taking out hazard trees and have not had any accidents yet but will confess to making $9.00 or less on several jobs cause i just new I could do it for that much. A lot of you guys have learned me up. Thanks- Darby

Last edited:
In the end I ended up with a bit less than 15 crew hours on this tree so I was at or less than my bosses target
And nothing got broken and noone got hurt. .
I did stop for a trip to the store and got 3 cans of hornet and wasp killer. One for me up in the basket. 1 for the groundies and one for my operator. I didn't want him to have to run away from the controls if I got into a Big nest of them. .

ie, GET ME DOWN. . NOW!!!!!!!

Last edited:
In the end I ended up with a bit less than 15 crew hours on this tree so I was at or less than my bosses target
And nothing got broken and noone got hurt. .
I did stop for a trip to the store and got 3 cans of hornet and wasp killer. One for me up in the basket. 1 for the groundies and one for my operator. I didn't want him to have to run away from the controls if I got into a Big nest of them. .

ie, GET ME DOWN. . NOW!!!!!!!

I was trying to explain this to you before your boyfriend banned me. This tree was obviouslly going to be a major challenge from the start. You posted a few pages back you put 10 hrs into this before you rented a lift. The profit margin between15 hrs and 5 hrs is huge. In time youll get the hang of this and have a lot less stress and a thicker wallet. Best of luck

Actually. With the contract we have. If the tree would have taken another day that would have been just another crew day we would have been paid for.
This is an hourly rate contract. Not footage ect. I work by the hour also. So Everybody's happy as a clam at high tide. I'm not interested in the competitive bid process. .
I guess you don't read my posts as I have stated these things a few times already. .
Oh well.

Back