My First Flippy Cap Incident.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half the problem seems to be location. More than once I've gotten the cap up against the wood, and unscrewed it I suspect by pivoting the saw while cutting. Once the cap is loose, it's very good at unscrewing itself completely off.

And that's the non-flippy type as well.

Don't know if this was a flippy, but it still makes me laugh.

248587_1773310816999_1366150122_31515957_6570789_n.jpg

Half the problem seems to be location. More than once I've gotten the cap up against the wood, and unscrewed it I suspect by pivoting the saw while cutting. Once the cap is loose, it's very good at unscrewing itself completely off.

And that's the non-flippy type as well.

LOL, Horse crap.......... at no point in your life have you unscrewed a saw's fluid containment system by rubbing it against wood .............any wood.

Don't blame the fact that you either didn't screw the cap on at all or didn't screw it on properly on wood "rubbage", LOL, thats hilarious.

The issue with any cap system and the complaints of them can in almost all cases, easily 98% be attributed to the operator simply not owning up to the fact that he or she didn't install it correctly, NOT to them installing it correctly and then it just simply fell out, due to wild unseen forces at work.

Sam

So, I just had my first experience with "flippy caps" last week while using my buddy's saw (MS250), after my 026 went t!ts-up on me.

I grabbed the other saw and ran it out of gas/oil. So I filled it up and tried to close the caps. As was alluded to above, the oil was filled to the rim. In trying to install the oil cap, the dam thing busted in half. I guess I should feel lucky that it just leaked out onto the grass. But mostly I was chapped to be done cutting for the day.

The thing was only 4.50 to replace but what a PIA. I figured I'd pick up a spare just to avoid this sort of thing in the future, but the gas and oil were both different sizes, so I'd need two. Then I figured screw it, it isn't even my saw!

In almost 40 years of running chain saws, I've never broken a gas or oil cap. What a crappy design. Were they trying to spare someone from carrying a screwdriver into the woods? Please!

I can't wait to get the 026 back together again.

I have them on my ms290, and haven't had any trouble. I have to wonder if the O-rings go bad, and start to bind up. That would make it harder to seal.

My saw is 7 years old or so.

461 = NEW flippy-caps

Have y'all noticed the new flippy-caps on the pics of the ms461s posted in the different threads?

They appear to have "gunning" lines to help align the cap :) Though the old ones have an arrow telling you where to insert them, and such.

Only problem I ever had was one of the recalled caps from E-10 induced swelling. Insert, turn, flip closed and POW flippy cap parts flying across the garage.... Dealer was out of them next day, so went another, bought a cap, then my dealer comped me a new one for my broken one as it was in the recall, now I have a spare.

dw

Sound like alot of operator errors :laugh:

One most be smarter than the "flippy cap" :D

Have y'all noticed the new flippy-caps on the pics of the ms461s posted in the different threads?

They appear to have "gunning" lines to help align the cap :) Though the old ones have an arrow telling you where to insert them, and such.

I was just going to comment on that -- my new 461 has big lines on the cap, and numerous little marks and icons (like hieroglyphics) molded into the case so you know where to unlock and lock the caps. I haven't ever had problems with the flippy caps on my other Stihls, but to be honest I got real annoyed when I saw all the markings on the 461. It takes more time to study the markings than to use the damn caps. The symbols are not obvious on first glance, especially if you already took the cap off and then are trying to figure out how to put it back on. I did better on my older saws where you just study the cap and hole or develop some memory of the motions.

Clearly something is wrong when you have to explain to the user how to operate something that should be simple. Again, I haven't ever had problems with the caps, but it's obvious many people do. I think this is a good example of German engineering (no offense to Germans) where they overcomplicate the simplest things. We own a German car, and it's the same way. It would be a perfect car for a control freak.

....Clearly something is wrong when you have to explain to the user how to operate something that should be simple. Again, I haven't ever had problems with the caps, but it's obvious many people do. I think this is a good example of German engineering (no offense to Germans) where they overcomplicate the simplest things. We own a German car, and it's the same way. It would be a perfect car for a control freak.

Well on the non-461 caps, if you look at one side or the other of the flip hinge ther is a little point molded on. If you look at the tank, there is a similar triangle point, Line the to points up to instal the cap, turn until it stops, close the flippy down. Most probably never notice the points. I didn't for some time.

attachment.php

dw

It does say something when a manufacturer feels the need to explain how to use a threaded cap. That said, they are nice when they work.

Why did they try to improve on a standard threaded cap? It's the same way with auto fuel caps, the goofy quarter turn ones are always failing and the regular old fashioned ones never seem to wear out. Why introduce moving parts to something that doesn't need them? Of course, neither type works when you completely forget to put them on. (guilty):redface:

Why did they try to improve on a standard threaded cap? It's the same way with auto fuel caps, the goofy quarter turn ones are always failing and the regular old fashioned ones never seem to wear out. Why introduce moving parts to something that doesn't need them? Of course, neither type works when you completely forget to put them on. (guilty):redface:

Marketing feedback... Joe Homeowner complaining he has to go in the gargae get a pair of pliers of some kind and open his gas cap (not knowing of course the scrench easily opens the cap). Of course he would have to find that as well because far be it from him to carry it w/ him when he cuts.

I don not mind them, but do agree they seem an solution without a real problem. Maybe this could be a H/O vs. Pro saw difference or and optional model. Maybe a MS451CF (F for flippy) I would be just as happy with the screw in caps like on my 660, but I dont mind either way, they are not THAT difficult to work.

Maybe they watch AS and figured we all needed one more thing to whine and b!tch about.

dw

The oil cap on my truck has a ratchet system to keep you from overtightening the cap. Only problem is that they break, and leave you almost nothing to grab the thread in plug it's self to remove the broken cap. One time when one of the caps broke, I superglued it solid, and that held up longer than a new cap, before the glue joint gave out. I just wish I could buy a solid cap and stop screwing around with this stupidity.

Why did they try to improve on a standard threaded cap?

That's what I'm saying. My old threaded caps never failed.

Joe Homeowner complaining he has to go in the gargae get a pair of pliers of some kind and open his gas cap (not knowing of course the scrench easily opens the cap).

This is just Darwinian - "Survival of the Fittest". People who don't know enough to carry a scrench or screwdriver with them when they're operating a chainsaw probably shouldn't be left alone in the woods with a running chainsaw.

It's a hazardous implement, and those types of people should be separated from chainsaws. Bring back the threaded gas/oil caps.

I read most of this thread this A.M. , I have gotten my MS200t flippy caps half cocked but allways able to get them secured correctly ,having said that the jinx took effect ,today I was cuttin on the log pile the 2171 was purring and throwing big chips ,in my haste to refuel and get back to it ,,,,I neglected to screw the fuel cap on ...picked up the saw and promptly soaked my leg /sock/boot with pre mix . honestly have nvr done that before !!!!karma is real ...jk :laugh::bang:

Latest posts

Back