my fiskars..anyone have this happen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I have noticed here is mostly people on the left coast love them, maybe because of the type wood they have to split there is much easier, and those on the east coast like them but not quite as much because eastern hardwoods are much harder to split. I swung one at my GTG and it really feels nice but its just going to stick like everything else unless its real nice straight grain.

My 36" rounds are still going to be rolled to the splitter, but 16" and below I'll be using the Fiskars for the most part. I honestly haven't tried it on really knotty wood yet, nor really stringy wood (like Birch), but I suspect it won't do quite as well there. I'm ready to be surprised, though!

What I have noticed here is mostly people on the left coast love them, maybe because of the type wood they have to split there is much easier, and those on the east coast like them but not quite as much because eastern hardwoods are much harder to split. I swung one at my GTG and it really feels nice but its just going to stick like everything else unless its real nice straight grain.

I agree. I have one and I've tried in some hardwoods and it still just sticks when sunk into wood. Granted it sticks a lot further in the wood than my 8 lb maul does, but maybe it's my technique, or I just have the rounds cut too long. I will say it goes through ash like nobodys buisness, I have popped through 24 inch long rounds and still taken chips out of the cement on the pad to my OWB.

Kyle

when i get a split with a knot that needs splitting again i lay it on its side and hit the knot with the fiskars. it works!

Great trick. The knot is hard to split after the head has already slowed some through the piece, but when hit first from the side, (with the grain of course) it will often pop quick, presenting less friction and actually aiding the splitting process. I've split a few stubborn pieces from the side in my time.

Blessings in Christ Yeshua

Thanks zamboni!

I tried your little trick this morning on some pieces with knots...they were in the pile waiting by the machine to be gassed up. Worked like a charm!!! That pile got whittled down by half. Tried it on a few crotches as well...not
as good but still worked on some of them.

The best "method" I have found so far with the really big rounds(20" and up) is to take a couple whacks at it in a lineacross the widthto get it to split in half then go at it from the ends.

we may be spoiled a little in my area, i have an abundance of oaks and maples and the fiskers makes it almost too easy and i know my monster maul hefting days are pretty much behind me. the fiskers has so much pop it is almost dangerous and the few knotty hunks i have can go to my splitter friends also good to know the days of loose heads and broken handles are done too

prob. a basic question but, can you find them in somewhere like lowes, or HD. or maybe tractor supply? I would put my #8 to rest in a heart beat with one of those.

Thanks
Matt

Back