My "go-to" saw, probably not what you would think.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It's this little guy. Will tackle anything within it's full 16 inch bar length, including hardwoods. Dry ash in this case, very tough stuff, makes you appreciate a good gas log splitter!

My friend uses a Husqvarna 455 and an Echo cs590. We compared the 3 saws, all three were running the same chain, a full chisel 3/8. My friend was very impressed by the power of the Homelite, he feels it was not much slower than the other 2 saws. I tried out all three back to back. The 455 was a bit faster than the Homelite, and the 590 was a bit faster than the 455- by about the same margin. That meant that in a 10 inch piece of wood we were only seeing of about 1 second difference in cut time each step up.
The 2 most noticeable differences were weight and vibration. The newer saws were a fair bit smoother, (AV) and in fact had a very similar "feel" to them, but the Homelite was by no means debilitating after 6 hours of cutting. The Homelite was considerably lighter than the other 2 and probably has a higher power to weight ratio judging by the cutting times. Oh yeah, all freshly sharpened or new chains were used, so a valid comparison.
Seeing how the trend for a persons body is to increase in age every year, I feel I will be leaving the big saws on the shelf until some very thick hardwood justifies their use.

The xl-1 and super mini saws pull outside of their weight class. I rotate a few into the mix. Echo 452's are equally impressive in that sub 3 cube range. Albeit, a bit on the heavy side. But, they had all the features mid 70's to mid 80's saws offered and more.

Gratuitous Homelite plug. One of my 3-saw plans from earlier this spring.

image.jpeg

I use the lightest saw that will get the job done. Which usually means the ms250 or echo 490. The ported 590 and 7910 have there place but I'm not swinging either if the small saws will do it. Between my FIL and I theres an 011AVT in the shed that has well over 150 cord on it. Have alot of time making a small saw do bigger saw work.

I'm a fan of using the lightest saw for the job also. This little XL-2 is my "go to" for 12" and under diameters. A little over 7 lb. with a 26.2cc weedeater-size powerhead that's had a "little work" done on it. [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pretty cool!

The big, powerful saws are their own type of fun, but when I've got to get work done, I'm usually going for the smallest saw that will reasonably do the job.

I'm a fan of using the lightest saw for the job also. This little XL-2 is my "go to" for 12" and under diameters. A little over 7 lb. with a 26.2cc weedeater-size powerhead that's had a "little work" done on it. [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's really cool! Good little saws in their day & that runs better than my modern 25cc class top handles. What pipe did you use? Moped?

I had a SEZ and Super Mini. Both were great saws but the SEZ pulled a bit stronger. When I brought the SEZ to a cant race I was beat by a Dolmar 420 but after three cuts he only beat me by 1/3 of a cut. Which is pretty good considering the gap in age between the two saws.

IMO those saws really scream if you keep them in 14" or smaller wood.

Latest posts

Back