My Husky 51/Woodsman Pro/Full Chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well sir, according to the box the chain came in it requires a 1/8 grinding wheel or a 3/16 file. The rankers are set according to the same instructions on the box .025--.028. I use my Jolly Star and set the raker's to what I see works.
Compare your tooth to one on a new chain and its pretty easy to tell you are out of wack.

Compare your tooth to one on a new chain and its pretty easy to tell you are out of wack.
Well sir ,I see chips on the ground not saw dust. How can you argue with results like this? The saw runs great and is cutting well so you can get off my back with your insipid tasteless comments. Ken

The "tune" sounds good, cutting performance is OK but for sure you shouldn't have to "dog" the saw in to get it to pull thru the wood and make chips. A correctly sharpened chain should suck the saw into the log and glide right thru without having to help it much if at all. Really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, can's say I've ever seen a rule-book for when you get tired of a worn down chain and have to replace it vs just continuing to use it and cut up firewood.

Nice video non-the-less and the saw sounds great. I love the Husky 51-55 series saws, even the open port versions and strong runners and very well built.........

Mr. Walker, What we have here is a classic difference of opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I simply disagree with your assessment/comments. Yes I have been known to get a tad testy at times however, I will stick to my guns when I believe that I am in the right. However no matter what the size or shape of the chain, you cannot dispute that this does cut, plane and simple. Initially this thread was simply to show what a inexpensive chain is capable of doing that is properly maintained/sharpened however, it appears to have made the snowball effect. BTW,I just received two more chains identically to this one.$14.95 apiece. For the cost this is a good deal. Bailey's/Carlton full chisel chains. Thank you for your input, Ken

The "tune" sounds good, cutting performance is OK but for sure you shouldn't have to "dog" the saw in to get it to pull thru the wood and make chips. A correctly sharpened chain should suck the saw into the log and glide right thru without having to help it much if at all. Really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, can's say I've ever seen a rule-book for when you get tired of a worn down chain and have to replace it vs just continuing to use it and cut up firewood.

Nice video non-the-less and the saw sounds great. I love the Husky 51-55 series saws, even the open port versions and strong runners and very well built.........

Mr. Walker, What we have here is a classic difference of opinion. Nothing wrong with that. I simply disagree with your assessment/comments. Yes I have been known to get a tad testy at times however, I will stick to my guns when I believe that I am in the right. However no matter what the size or shape of the chain, you cannot dispute that this does cut, plane and simple. Initially this thread was simply to show what a inexpensive chain is capable of doing that is properly maintained/sharpened however, it appears to have made the snowball effect. BTW,I just received two more chains identically to this one.$14.95 apiece. For the cost this is a good deal. Bailey's/Carlton full chisel chains. Thank you for your input, Ken
Yes, it does cut, but not like it should. Not even close. Your filing or grinder setup could improve greatly. And we all been there at one time. It's not like we all started with excellent sharpening skills.

Yes a new tooth. Now remove about 70% of the tooth and raker off and it will resemble what I was using.
I would run your grinder at 30° top angle. 55°-60° side angle and 10° tooth tilt. Set the depth properly and it should net you the tooth profile very close to what I posted.
In the 6-8" wood you were cutting a chain set up that way will blow through it like a hot knife through butter with no dog work. Leaning on the dogs like you were in the video just causes excessive wear to your bar, clutch, crank, etc.

I would run your grinder at 30° top angle. 55°-60° side angle and 10° tooth tilt. Set the depth properly and it should net you the tooth profile very close to what I posted.
In the 6-8" wood you were cutting a chain set up that way will blow through it like a hot knife through butter with no dog work. Leaning on the dogs like you were in the video just causes excessive wear to your bar, clutch, crank, etc.
Sir, you must be a magician. .I do not lean on the dogs as you have mentioned. I do not need to. This is why my rakers are set to pull the chain into the wood using only the weight of the saw. This method allows the saw to chew it's way without any "leaning" The bar has been reconditioned buy me. The bar groove is now 60-63 thousandths +/- a few thousandths. The chain gauge is.058. I hope you understand what I am attempting to explain to you.

Sir, you must be a magician. .I do not lean on the dogs as you have mentioned. I do not need to. This is why my rakers are set to pull the chain into the wood using only the weight of the saw. This method allows the saw to chew it's way without any "leaning" The bar has been reconditioned buy me. The bar groove is now 60-63 thousandths +/- a few thousandths. The chain gauge is.058. I hope you understand what I am attempting to explain to you.
The video tells the story as does the paint burnt off the bar just in front of the dogs.
Like at the video I posted and then look at yours. Your saw is cutting terribly in that small wood.

The video tells the story as does the paint burnt off the bar just in front of the dogs.
Like at the video I posted and then look at yours. Your saw is cutting terribly in that small wood.
Well ,here we go again. You know the story? Well I will tell you. I payed $65 for this saw the way you see it. It was badly abused with the bar and chain that you see. The saw did not even run but had good compression. I put a carb kit and a new gas line. I did a muffler mod. As of now this saw gets great maintance. It has 175 lbs of compression. This picture was taken yesterday. One more thing. I have been sharpening the chainsaws being in my local fire department. Never had any complaints. One final note. Before you make a statement like you did, get all the facts.20211217_172827[1].jpg

Well ,here we go again. You know the story? Well I will tell you. I payed $65 for this saw the way you see it. It was badly abused with the bar and chain that you see. The saw did not even run but had good compression. I put a carb kit and a new gas line. I did a muffler mod. As of now this saw gets great maintance. It has 175 lbs of compression. This picture was taken yesterday. One more thing. I have been sharpening the chainsaws being in my local fire department. Never had any complaints. One final note. Before you make a statement like you did, get all the facts.View attachment 949097
That's all fine and well, but that saw isnt cutting as it should as videoed.
Did you watch the video I posted? That's how a 50cc saw should cut and I bet your Husky has as much or more snot than that 260.

Yes I did watch the video. Pine, Spruce, Hemlock? The hardwood I was chewing on was white oak. And I bet your chain has more meat on it than the one I was using. Anyway, I'm done arguing with a closed door.. I almost forgot. The only one that I have to please is myself regarding how my saws perform. Funny though a friend of mine who uses a saw had nothing but good things to say. Oh well. I guess you can't please everyone. Have a safe and happy holiday, Ken

Have you seen this one?

Yes I did watch the video. Pine, Spruce, Hemlock? The hardwood I was chewing on was white oak. And I bet your chain has more meat on it than the one I was using. Anyway, I'm done arguing with a closed door.. I almost forgot. The only one that I have to please is myself regarding how my saws perform. Funny though a friend of mine who uses a saw had nothing but good things to say. Oh well. I guess you can't please everyone. Have a safe and happy holiday, Ken

Have you seen this one?

The chain I was using was .325 stihl RS new, which isn't at its peak off the roll. That spruce was bone dry and double the size of what you were cutting. I can assure it wouldn't be much slower through hard maple or oak of the size you were cutting.
I just touched up the chain on my 361 tonight when I got home from work. This is what a decent work chain should look like.

20211217_184117.jpg

Back