My Log Lifter Invention

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got to see it! I had a completely different mental image. I like what you made a lot better than what I had envisioned. :cheers:

As has been posted I think this would be a prime candidate for adapting to the tow hitch. Without making any changes to the device a lenghth of 2 inch square tube with a 90* weld or bend in it could be pinned into the reciever on one end and the other end would simply extend down into your counter weight box.

I may have to visit the local pick-n-pull and see about making one of these. I'd probably do it in 1" sqare tube though and build it expressly to be attached to the tow hitch. Like one of those wheelchair carriers. Flip it down and load wood then flip it up to drive away. Probably take two joints with pins but It won't have to carry more than the weight of the lift itself.

This could make a great poor mans lift gate. Aside from firewood I haul equiptment that weighs 250lb+ not such a struggle for me but I'm sure my guys would love to have the help next season. I'm (of course) thinking of supersizing it to tailgate width with 4 shocks. Heavy? Yea. But in my case It get put inthe reciever and stay there unless I wanted to use a trailer instead.

I'm lovin' this idea. Have another! :cheers:
As soon as I get my 50 posts your the first person I'm repping Doc.

StrongBack,

"This could make a great poor mans lift gate. Aside from firewood I haul equiptment that weighs 250lb+ not such a struggle for me but I'm sure my guys would love to have the help next season. I'm (of course) thinking of supersizing it to tailgate width with 4 shocks. Heavy? Yea. But in my case It get put inthe reciever and stay there unless I wanted to use a trailer instead."

======

I'm thinking along the same lines... Problem as I see it is,, You have to over come the lift capacity to return it to load positon.. Could be a problem...

I'm thinking along the same lines... Problem as I see it is,, You have to over come the lift capacity to return it to load positon.. Could be a problem...

The thought did cross my mind but some of the difference will be counterbalanced by the extra weight I'd be adding by building it from steel vice wood. As long as the return weight was kept around the 200# mark (I'm 250#) it shouldn't be a problem for me to climb up on it and ride it back down. If I aquire 80# shocks I may have to use 3 vice 4 because a simple frame out of 1" tube with an expanded metal cover probably wouldn't weigh much over 50#. So 3 would still leave me with a 190# +/- "assist and my body weight would return it to the start position no prob. I've been turning it over in my head all day now. I'm also working out (mentally) a release latch vice the pins. ie... push it down and it latches and another push releases it.

Bore and Retired Redneck, I really considered a patent last year when I designed it from scratch. You probably noticed the extra holes in the frames.

Great contraption, 'Doc, though I think you did yourself a disservice to yourself by not seeking a patent. Don't know what the process is and how long it would take from start to finish, but I think you're on to a good idea.

Unless I read it wrong, I don't think Ductape was reffering to the lifting portion being extendable but rather the foot of the device being longer, giving more stability. I could be wrong.

The counter weight is only needed because the foot doesnt extend past the center of the load, making it lopsided or off-balance as it is trying to raise it. Make the foot longer with a cross brace on the end, like on the lift arm. This gives you a place for the lever to get things started once you are ready. You wont need the counter weight and it should be lighter to carry.

Instead of making the lift arm extendable put in a second 'flap' for shorter trucks.

It looks like you have spent some time , thought and effort maximizing it's lifting potential. I have to say, Nice Work.

Bingo !!

Here are the same PICs. I reorganized the album location at PhotoBucket and that wrecked the original links:
LogLifter1.jpg

LogLifter3.jpg

LogLifter2.jpg

Please forgive me, but after you get a rather large number of PICs uploaded, you have to get organized to maintain your sanity and the host site starts to slow down to a crawl.

Thanks Ed, I hadn't seen this post before and was bummed that the pics were gone until I got to the end.

That's the trouble with digital cameras, trying to keep everything organized. Back in the print days, it was easier to keep up with, but probably only due to the cost of taking zillions of pics like I do now.

Hey Doc Question

Hey Wood Doctor, Have you used your little invention (which I think is a great idea by the way) in the winter time? I mean in real cold or snowy weather. I notice the gas springs on my tool box, and on the rear hatch of our Ford explorer don't quite seem to have the lift power they do in the warmer weather. I really like your idea and want to build one, would just like to make sure I could use it year round.

Ed
:chainsawguy:

If it's really cold, say 0 F, they will be a bit weaker. I find I get full power all the way down to about 20 F before they start to lose it. In time, I guess all gas springs eventually fail, but no one knows exactly when. Frequency of use has a lot to do with it. I used these again this year with some big soft maple rounds, and they went right up onto the tailgate.

I made an attachment platform for this lift that allows me to take a 100-lb thickness sander that I made for my table saw's motor drive. The platform swivels as it moves vertically and I can hoist the sander up and down right off of the table saw. So, big wood rounds are not the only thing you could use it for.

And, BTW I can't seem to edit the earlier posts and revise the path to Photobucket. I guess old posts are untouchable.

Very Nice! I've never seen this either, I reorganized PB too and it did the same.:mad:

Latest posts

Back