My lovely new to me 357xp!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnnt

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well! Finally after waiting over a week for it, the weather picked up for it to be delivered.I opened it up and found it actually looked ok. It was covered in grease, oil, fuel, everything you could think of by the looks of it. Set about cleaning it and i took it all apart (or at least as much as i dare) and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. It took all my effort to shift the muck. It was rock hard and really thick. I think it was bar oil that had just gotten everywhere and it had obviously been put away like that for several years.

I believe the saw is a 2005 model. By the time i had gotten it all back together it was too late to try it, so i fitted it with the bar and chain from my 346. Sharpened the chain and put it away for the night. Took it out with me today, fuelled it up and started to pull... It took about 15 pulls then it fired, popped the choke then pulled again and it fired straight away. Let it warm up for a few minutes whilst i sorted some wood out. Then i stood there and watched it melt its way through 14 inch wood like butter. The wood had been down about a year and logged, but needed cutting smaller for firewood sales.

BLIMEY!!! It is completely different to my 346, it revs and revs and revs, and is seriously like lightening!! How does 6-7cc's make that much difference?

Could do with a few new plastic parts, but they will have to wait for a while yet. Just out of curiosity, what is the biggest size bar it could run comfortably? Obviously don't want to stress the saw, but if i could run a bigger bar then it would make my back feel a bit better i'm sure!

Here's a few pictures, no before ones as i was excited and just teared straight into it. Cleaned up quite well imo. Sorry about the crappy phone pics again.

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

Let me know your thoughts, opinions and any tips you have.

Many thanks, David.

Since the Recoil sticker is scratched, you will need to send me the saw so I can check it out really good for you, it will take years to send it back to you though.

Seriously, great looking saw!
I would not run much over a 24" bar.

It 'll run 20" bar quite nicely. Maybe a little bigger depending on the wood your cutting.

Since the Recoil sticker is scratched, you will need to send me the saw so I can check it out really good for you, it will take years to send it back to you though.

Seriously, great looking saw!
I would not run much over a 24" bar.

LOL!!

I am really impressed with it. Couldn't believe the difference, a 372 must be fantastic to run!!

Maximum diameter wood would be about 16-18 inches. Wouldnt want to run a 24 inch bar, possibly a 20 inch. Probably just end up getting an 18 though and sticking that on it just to have a bit of balance and still be useable for me.

LOL!!

I am really impressed with it. Couldn't believe the difference, a 372 must be fantastic to run!!

Maximum diameter wood would be about 16-18 inches. Wouldnt want to run a 24 inch bar, possibly a 20 inch. Probably just end up getting an 18 though and sticking that on it just to have a bit of balance and still be useable for me.

18" sounds much better than 20" on that saw, but with that wood a 16" wood really be enough!

When I had my 357xp it was perfectly balanced with an 18" which I think would be ideal for your situation. Congrats--it is a fantastic saw, has great acceleration, and noticeably more power than the 346. Stop now with the 372 questions--that is what happened to me! I ended up selling my 357 because I couldn't justify the money I had invested in 3 professional saws! In the end the 372/ 346 combo suits my purposes better than a single 60cc saw. I have to at times handle some pretty sizable fencerow trees that are just beyond the power range of the 357. Having said that I did block up a 36" maple with the 357 and it got the job done! Enjoy the saw! :biggrinbounce2:

Tim

only reason i said 18 was because i have the 15 already. Would you runa 16 then?

good looking saw,,,i will trade you a blown up poulan even for it,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: nice score

only reason i said 18 was because i have the 15 already. Would you runa 16 then?

15" or 16" called length makes very little difference in .325, in 3/8" it is a bit more real difference.

I run 15" and 18" on my MS361......

Last edited:
When I had my 357xp it was perfectly balanced with an 18" which I think would be ideal for your situation. Congrats--it is a fantastic saw, has great acceleration, and noticeably more power than the 346. Stop now with the 372 questions--that is what happened to me! I ended up selling my 357 because I couldn't justify the money I had invested in 3 professional saws! In the end the 372/ 346 combo suits my purposes better than a single 60cc saw. I have to at times handle some pretty sizable fencerow trees that are just beyond the power range of the 357. Having said that I did block up a 36" maple with the 357 and it got the job done! Enjoy the saw! :biggrinbounce2:

Tim

Thanks Tim!! :)

15" or 16" called length makes very little difference in .325, in 3/8" it is a bit more real difference.

Not thinking of cutting difference, was thinking more of choice as the 346 is 15, the 260 is 16 and i thought i could have the 357 with an 18 then i have a bit more of a wider scope. I don't want it to lose any of speed though. Haha, maybe i should get a 13, 16 and 18... :yoyo:

Not thinking of cutting difference, was thinking more of choice as the 346 is 15, the 260 is 16 and i thought i could have the 357 with an 18 then i have a bit more of a wider scope. I don't want it to lose any of speed though. Haha, maybe i should get a 13, 16 and 18... :yoyo:

I was referring to difference in true length of the bars, not in cutting speed!

I've tried 'em all

My 357XP came with a 20 inch, 3/8, 058 bar. It was OK, but not impressive for sure. Swapped it for 16 inch 3/8 .058 set up. Really ripped very nicely with that combo. After I got the 346XP the 16 inch 3/8 bar went on it and the 357XP got an 18 inch 3/8 058 bar that is currently on there. Balances very well and the saw has the guts to pull a good chip when the bar is completely buried.

Can you mount a 24 inch bar on a 357XP? Sure, but it's going to be a real dog and not perform anywhere near what you're used to nor as Husky intended it to run. Besides that a 24 inch small mount Husky bar is not a common thing and they cost between $75 and $80 around here. Also the longer bars put more torque and stress on the clutch and bottom end of the saw. OK for occasional use and work in soft wood, but for 24 inch bars are the realm of the 70+ cc saws

I've tried 'em all

My 357XP came with a 20 inch, 3/8, 058 bar. It was OK, but not impressive for sure. Swapped it for 16 inch 3/8 .058 set up. Really ripped very nicely with that combo. After I got the 346XP the 16 inch 3/8 bar went on it and the 357XP got an 18 inch 3/8 058 bar that is currently on there. Balances very well and the saw has the guts to pull a good chip when the bar is completely buried.

Can you mount a 24 inch bar on a 357XP? Sure, but it's going to be a real dog and not perform anywhere near what you're used to nor as Husky intended it to run. Besides that a 24 inch small mount Husky bar is not a common thing and they cost between $75 and $80 around here. Also the longer bars put more torque and stress on the clutch and bottom end of the saw. OK for occasional use and work in soft wood, but for 24 inch bars are the realm of the 70+ cc saws

Ya, might want to go skip chain tho. I run 24 on my ported 2156 jred with full comp. Fun saw.

Latest posts

Back