My new Husqvarna 359 is stuck!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though it's a "homeowner" use saw it seems odd that the clips would have been forgotten. I think the best thing is to wait and see what Husky does for him.

If they make it right that says a lot, if not he should raise hell.

husky 359 is stuck

I work on alot of stihls and a few huskys, not bashing husky but I have to agree their Q.C. is not good. I have seen 1 new husky with no wrist pin bearing and 1 with no wrist pin clips. never saw or heard of that on stihl

The non Mahle cylindres from husky I've seen have all been junk. The xp models have Mahle cylinders, and they're just as good as the other manufactures.

The cylinder i took off the 242xp couldnt be any better! It looks like a quality product but it is a few years old

I am appalled at the statements on quality control of husky saws.
I have seen issues in all the other saws equal to this topic. I have
not had any trouble out of my husky's but they are pro models!
The 359 was not designed for pro use and it shows just like 290
and other home saws. My 372XP and the XP means something to
me has not had any issues other than normal wear which means, a
coil is all I have bought for it in five heavy use years.
But don't forget: There are many happy 359 owners out there, pitted cylinders or not.

Outdoor that's a very good point, the pitting will probably have little or no effect on how the saw runs or how long it lasts.

I'm not sure when husky stopped using Mahle cylinders on there non xp models, as my 04 353 has a Mahle cylinder and it looks flawless.

Last edited:
I work on alot of stihls and a few huskys, not bashing husky but I have to agree their Q.C. is not good. I have seen 1 new husky with no wrist pin bearing and 1 with no wrist pin clips. never saw or heard of that on stihl

I have seen many topics on the 290 look it up. I have good experiance
with the old stihls but when they went to the flippy caps and bs choke
switch's I went orange. I have never regretted it the only newer stihl I
tried to use quit in two weeks 019 T, they stunk. The company I worked for
bought the pos brand new two weeks quit excellent QC eh?

i still say your saw was over revving.

that localised brown / yellow colour on the top of your piston is the typical colour of a saw running a slight lean condition. lean condition = over rev.

on the pic of your cylinder, there is a big chunk in the center of the port. ignore that for a minute. look to the left and you can see a thin gouge running vertical up the cylinder wall. that was where your clip jumped out of bed. it is common for a clip to disappear completely after jumping out and tearing up your cylinder wall.

STK

I'm going to push on Husky to give me two new C-Clips, a new base-gasket AND a new jug as a "worst case" scenerio.

Best case scenerio would be a brand new saw. (Yea....RIGHT!)

Good luck ! I am curious about the outcome !

Too bad it ain't a Stihl. You could easily blame the Stihl dealer in such case and start a ranting thread on AS. :wave:

Update: After finally receiving an email in reply to my "WTF now" email from Husky's "customer no service" department, I brought the saw into the local dealer here.

I had the main body of the saw and the "jug" with me. Their repair guy listened to my story, raised his eyebrows and said, "I don't care who you bought it from. If you still have a receipt, Husky will stand behind this as it wasn't assembled correctly. I bet they will give you a new piston, jug, and the missing C-Clips. Go back and bring me all of the parts of the saw and we'll get it taken care of for you."

Right now I think this is a minor victory in my favor. We'll see what happens....

I said, "Thanks" :yourock: and walked out.........
:biggrinbounce2:

wtf are my eyes reeadin right

your kidding us right? the local dealer said what. i never thought a local dealer would touch a saw that was bought from the bay:jawdrop: that is great news if they follow through with what they said. you must have the Irish blood inz ya. only a leprechaun would have luck:hmm3grin2orange:
:cheers:

Update: After finally receiving an email in reply to my "WTF now" email from Husky's "customer no service" department, I brought the saw into the local dealer here.

I had the main body of the saw and the "jug" with me. Their repair guy listened to my story, raised his eyebrows and said, "I don't care who you bought it from. If you still have a receipt, Husky will stand behind this as it wasn't assembled correctly. I bet they will give you a new piston, jug, and the missing C-Clips. Go back and bring me all of the parts of the saw and we'll get it taken care of for you."

Right now I think this is a minor victory in my favor. We'll see what happens....

I said, "Thanks" :yourock: and walked out.........
:biggrinbounce2:

Nice. that dealer deserves a beer for his attitude alone. I hope you get it repaired under warranty !:clap: :clap:

Could it be he is one of us here and wants to help ya out? I just wonder
if he will have problems with husky directly. I hope ya get it fixed and if
you do a nice tip to that dealer would be iybi, remember the good ones.
I always try to tip the person going the extra mile for me, its good business.

if
you do a nice tip to that dealer would be iybi, remember the good ones.
I always try to tip the person going the extra mile for me, its good business.

Or post his info here if you think he wouldn't mind and it's allowed. Others in you area may be reading this site too and identifying a good dealer like that would be beneficial to all in your area.

Final Update

Well, I can finally post an update.....

Two weeks ago I received a phone call from the Husky shop saying that they had gotten a "repair authorization" and had just ordered parts. :clap:

This past weekend I picked up a very strong running saw. :chainsaw:

I have to admit, I'm impressed with Husky's willingness to stand behind their equipment and follow up with a warranty claim after 3 years of ownership.

Here's a rundown of what was done:
"Cylinder assembly" #537157302 $175.95
"Gasket" #503916601 $2.95
"Gasket" #503966601 $2.95

1.5hr Shop labor @ 69.50 $104.25

Total (paid by Husky) $286.10

One final question: This saw has been weeping bar-oil ever since the day it was new. It doesn't leak much, maybe a couple tea-spoons full of oil over a few days time, but it's enough to be annoying and messy to store.

Any thoughts on this final situation?

Thanks for all of your help and encouragement!

One final question: This saw has been weeping bar-oil ever since the day it was new. It doesn't leak much, maybe a couple tea-spoons full of oil over a few days time, but it's enough to be annoying and messy to store.

Any thoughts on this final situation?

Thanks for all of your help and encouragement!

try cracking the cap open after you have used it, hopefully its just a pressure build up.

note that all saws will drop a bit of oil after you have used them, so it might be normal if its only a small amount

Wow, what a saga. And a happy ending to boot. A side benefit to me: I learned a ton of stuff reading the various diagnoses and fixes from people who know something about the inside of a saw.

Glad the dealer stepped up and did what was somewhat above and beyond the call of duty to get your problem fixed. You really should post his name here as the sort of dealer people should be looking to do business with, regardless of the brand of saws he sells.

And you ought to buy a new saw from him in the near future! -WSJ

Latest posts

Back