My new MS241cm has shipped!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Randy, what's you're take on the size, weight, and power, compared to the 261?

Andrew says that he never uses the 261 since we ported the 241 for him. I think that the lighter weight and power will make this a very good selling unit.

I really like the build quality of Stihl equipment, so the price seem reasonable.

Last edited:
Don't think the op mentioned what bar and chain he's going to use with the 241. 3/8 low pro or .325? From the video I watched, seems to do very well with a 16" bar.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

There are certain situations where the 261 will be more suitable than a 241 but in my experience I'd be using the 241 over a 261 90% of the time. For a firewood guy go the 261, for smaller trees and limbing the 241 will tan a 261's arse. By miles. If you need a 50cc saw to limb the 550XP is a better choice.

This is great news.

I was just doing searches the other day trying to see if there was any new info about if or when it was coming to the USA.

Will be perfect for filling in the gap between my top handle and 460.

There are certain situations where the 261 will be more suitable than a 241 but in my experience I'd be using the 241 over a 261 90% of the time. For a firewood guy go the 261, for smaller trees and limbing the 241 will tan a 261's arse. By miles. If you need a 50cc saw to limb the 550XP is a better choice.

With the same chain on each, or are you talking about the 241 with 3/8 lo-pro & the 261 with .325? If I recall correctly, you liked to use 3/8 (.375) on your 261. Anyway, your comments here would be helpful. FWIW, I have heard of people putting lo-pro 3/8 on the 261 with remarkable results if cutting speed alone is what you are after.

241C ported .325 16'' bar
V
261 with muff modd 3/8 18'' bar

in green Yellowbox

Very nice! I can see why you & Matt are high on the 241. Even though the 241 is ported & the 261 is not, a MM 261 is a very strong runner (I have one), & you would expect it to equal or better the smaller saw. Mine has recently been "semi-Snellerized". Brad did the timing advance & squish tightening after I had done the MM & unlimited the H needle. It is now 4-stroking clearly at 14,500 & holding 12,500 in the wood. It is not ported, but I suspect it would be more than a match for the ported 241. Wish I was computer savvy enough to post pics or vids. I would show it off along with its "little cousin", an also Snellerized 201C-E, which, with its lo-pro 3/8 chain would give a very creditable performance in wood in the 6-10in dia. range. Hopefully, I'll get it figured out. I enjoyed & appreciated the vid. Thanks for posting.

With the same chain on each, or are you talking about the 241 with 3/8 lo-pro & the 261 with .325? If I recall correctly, you liked to use 3/8 (.375) on your 261. Anyway, your comments here would be helpful. FWIW, I have heard of people putting lo-pro 3/8 on the 261 with remarkable results if cutting speed alone is what you are after.

Yeah that was with .325" 36RM on each. I have got both 7 and 8 tooth .325" rims for the 241 (mine is stock) and it is faster with the 7 tooth rim. I haven't run 3/8"LP on the 261 or any of the 50cc saws I've owned (I've owned a few :)) You are correct that I preferred standard 3/8" on the 261 I had as it wore a lot better. Despite cutting speed being similar to .325" the wear factor alone made it more productive at the end of the day.
Here is a video with some of the cutting I've been doing. The only issue I can find with the 241 is it's off idle response is a bit slow - in the video you can hear me blipping the throttle constantly to keep it spooled up between cuts. Mastermind fixed this on Andrew's 241 when he ported it and the throttle response on Andrew's saw (which when stock actually used to be mine!) is now excellent. Randy really did a good job on that little thing without going too crazy. He turned it into a really nice little work saw.

I bought both

mine are stock

I always grab the 241 16 bar .325 semi chisel unless I need to use the 261 18 bar .325 semi chisel
All saws have a new or freshly sharpened chains.

this is the local trees made of "concrete" these trees get no rainfall for ten or eleven months of the year.

I told one of the local Husky dealer to give me a buzz when the first 543xp shows up. He said it could be soon. No word on the ms241.

I told one of the local Husky dealer to give me a buzz when the first 543xp shows up. He said it could be soon. No word on the ms241.
My dealer in Kansas told me yesterday when I asked about the 241, that he expects the 543XP to arrive in March and I should wait until then.

How does that saw compare to a 261 Andrew?
I picked up the MS241 cm this afternoon and it sure has surprised me. The narrow profile sure is different than the 261 cm.
My dealer in Kansas told me yesterday when I asked about the 241, that he expects the 543XP to arrive in March and I should wait until then.
I picked mine up Friday and I'm going to cut this afternoon. I'll let you know what I think of it. I have it ready to cut w/ full fuel and oil. I put it on the scales ready to cut and it was 13.26#. My 261cm is 15#. It idles smoothly and sure has a narrow profile. Ill take some pictures.

Yeah that was with .325" 36RM on each. I have got both 7 and 8 tooth .325" rims for the 241 (mine is stock) and it is faster with the 7 tooth rim. I haven't run 3/8"LP on the 261 or any of the 50cc saws I've owned (I've owned a few :)) You are correct that I preferred standard 3/8" on the 261 I had as it wore a lot better. Despite cutting speed being similar to .325" the wear factor alone made it more productive at the end of the day.
Here is a video with some of the cutting I've been doing. The only issue I can find with the 241 is it's off idle response is a bit slow - in the video you can hear me blipping the throttle constantly to keep it spooled up between cuts. Mastermind fixed this on Andrew's 241 when he ported it and the throttle response on Andrew's saw (which when stock actually used to be mine!) is now excellent. Randy really did a good job on that little thing without going too crazy. He turned it into a really nice little work saw.

As usual your info is thorough, practical, & given out of experience. I much appreciate it all. I'm giving you a nickname, "The Domino Sawyer". It seems that we see trees going down like dominoes in your vids! I'll never forget the one in which you felled 350+ trees in one day with a 7900! It makes me ache just thinking about it!

Back