My Portable Wood Rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Head

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I like to share with you guys my portable wood rack composed of 3 cinder blocks, 6 pieces of 2x4, 4 screws, and some scrap 2x4 for spreaders & wedges.
Here are some pics, it should be self explanatory.
I only use a couple of screws on the top spreader.
The base wedges at the ends are just hammered in tight to hold the base and the end supports in.
The end support spreads to the maximum allowable angle of the cinder block.
The key is to make sure the cinder block base is well leveled and run a level on the ends as you stack to make sure the stack is straight. As you can see I have used up two stacks this year.
Once the stack is emptied, I just move pull the racks apart and move it aside to get access to the next stack.
I designed this and used it 3 years now with success.
The first year I didn't use the middle cinder block and had one 2x4 cracked from stress at the middle.
I like more than wood pallets and box-stack end supports.
Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
hey, looks easy and effective! If you had some planks, no need to even tear them down over and over, just drop a plank across and walk, remove plank for reloading again.

Very nice and simple, easily removed to access the next row when burning. For those unfamiliar with cinder blocks, they have a top and bottom. The center web is flared on the top to make them easier to pick up one handed to mud before setting.

Very impressive. I suppose the weight of the wood on the bottom 2x4s keeps the vertical 2x4s from tipping over - or do you also fasten the bottom ones to the side ones?
It's free floating. Just the wedge piece between the two bottom 2x4s keep everything spread out to the length of the cinder blocks.
The only screws are on the top brace of the vertical 2x4s. But I also cut out some shallow notches for extra support.

hey, looks easy and effective! If you had some planks, no need to even tear them down over and over, just drop a plank across and walk, remove plank for reloading again.
I can't because all the racks are not level with respect to each others; they are individually level.
So the plank will not sit flat and will collapse.

Very nice and simple, easily removed to access the next row when burning. For those unfamiliar with cinder blocks, they have a top and bottom. The center web is flared on the top to make them easier to pick up one handed to mud before setting.
The old style cinder blocks are uniform on all sides; they don't have the ergonomic flare.
I have both styles but I much prefer the old style.
Unfortunately they don't make the old style anymore; at least I can't find any from Lowes or Home Depot.

I like it! I now have a use for that stack of blocks that's been living in my woods. Thanks for the pics.

Back