My random new criteria for buying cheap bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newforest

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the jug that it arrives in. I won’t buy it in this jug ever again:

AB22DB40-BB8B-4E9D-A057-6F50A44F7C46.jpeg

This is more of an engine coolant jug design. I think a few different retailers have accepted it and branded it from the actual producer, not just Ace.

This jug will tip over if you look at it wrong. The bigger problem is the cap - some Executive in some Supply Corp. somewhere figured out that if they put only one thread in the cap, instead of two, the cap stays on just fine. And then Supply Corp. saves 0.5¢ per jug and Executive who never purchases or touches actual oil, ever, gets a bigger bonus at year end.

Meanwhile, over in your truck, heading out somewhere to get-r-done so Executive’s life can stay all nice and comfy, this jug has now laid a nice slick of bar oil all over the bed of your truck, with the cap still on top.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, never again.

Is the jug that it arrives in. I won’t buy it in this jug ever again:

View attachment 962658

This is more of an engine coolant jug design. I think a few different retailers have accepted it and branded it from the actual producer, not just Ace.

This jug will tip over if you look at it wrong. The bigger problem is the cap - some Executive in some Supply Corp. somewhere figured out that if they put only one thread in the cap, instead of two, the cap stays on just fine. And then Supply Corp. saves 0.5¢ per jug and Executive who never purchases or touches actual oil, ever, gets a bigger bonus at year end.

Meanwhile, over in your truck, heading out somewhere to get-r-done so Executive’s life can stay all nice and comfy, this jug has now laid a nice slick of bar oil all over the bed of your truck, with the cap still on top.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, never again.
I save my Stihl bar oil jug and pour whatever oil I get into that jug, fyi. I hate thin wall, tippy bar oil jugs as well and this has been the best solution I’ve found so far.

I seldom carry to my work a full gallon. Try to keep a quart in a quart gear oil container for backup always on my pickup and bring a partial gallon for planned wood cutting days. Haven't had any problems with jugs leaking out the cap. The quart jugs are easiar to pour from into chainsaws with smallish or partially obstructed oil tank filler holes.

I put some bar oil in a Mobil 1 gear oil quart bottle,,
I thought the "funnel top" would be a good method of dispensing..

75f39900-7c89-43e7-8cea-87694bb1706b_1.6f04c989c60472b833ab50e61bd70751.jpeg

Well that gear oil bottle is made to dispense, and toss,, period.
Without the inner foil seal, the bottle leaks,, and it leaks fast,, it on its side.

Lots of ways to do it smarter. But first you have to be smart enough to not forget to put the better bar oil container in the truck, then have to stop and buy some elsewhere.

Oil leaking out a closed cap was a new PITA, though. So if you get stuck with one of these jugs, don’t let it slip away to misbehave out of sight somewhere.

Lots of ways to do it smarter. But first you have to be smart enough to not forget to put the better bar oil container in the truck, then have to stop and buy some elsewhere.

Oil leaking out a closed cap was a new PITA, though. So if you get stuck with one of these jugs, don’t let it slip away to misbehave out of sight somewhere.
I JUST emptied a silver Stihl jug last week, it is still sitting on my yard trailer,,
I will have to see if I ever bought the "WRONG" jug of oil, then transfer it.

If I do not have a wrong jug, which WRONG jug brand should I buy for the refill??

Just watch out for these jugs that tip over real easy and leak right through the cap. The oil inside is fine but I’ve never had such an annoying plastic bottle full of oil like this one. The Tractor Supply copy store in my town, small chain that I can never remember the name, had these this year too.

I looked at the "Combi-Can" on line,, they are more expensive (in plastic) than a steel JustRite can.
I said the heck with it,,
I ordered a one gallon JustRite ,, When it gets here, I will decide,, fuel, or bar oil,,,

Try a antifreeze bottle cap on it, the paper disk that falls out of the cap is the gasket. Cmbi cans have gone up 40 bucks in the last 6 months, oregon makes a nice version as well that cheaper.Its super convienant to have gas/oil/files and extra chains in whats essentially a briefcase. I can stick mine in the truck behind the seat and never get fuel odors or oil leaks.

Well if you can get way up to the top of Wisconsin, I sometimes buy bar oil at a saw shop across the street from a medium sized petroleum products distributor. So they would purchase empty jugs (sensible round ones) and fill them up across the way and just sell totally unbranded and unlabeled bar oil, real cheap. Everyone was a winner.

So I have always thought if you need to think about buying bar oil jugs by the pallet or something, you might could consider buying your own containers instead, and seeing what a lubricant supply business might be able to do for you.

Latest posts

Back