My random new criteria for buying cheap bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buys cheap bar oil because it's cheap - complains that the jug it comes in is also cheap but doesn't want to spend the money for the more expensive jug because he's being cheap...lol the complains about someone else being cheap and causing his cheap ass problems

Some people just don't make sense.

Clearer. More durable. Eliminates confusion. To see if I could. Looks nicer. Lots of reasons.

Getting tape to stick to an oily, plastic jug could be a challenge. Keeping the markings on tape readable would be another.

When you work by yourself you can rely on memory or habit. When you work with others, it is important to be clear. Once I figured out what worked it was pretty easy, so I shared that with others on this site. It is also easy to mark the large, white space with other info, e.g. jugs of thinned or winter weight bar oil.

If I was looking for the easiest solution, I would just leave it in the jug it came in.

Philbert
I probably got the tide jug idea from you philbert. I did get a good laugh from your reply.

I probably got the tide jug idea from you philbert.
Used to be that our curbside recycling program picked up on our block every Thursday. And all items were separated: glass, plastic, newspaper, etc. I could take the dog for a walk and pick up as many empty laundry detergent jugs, any brand, as I wanted.

Now we have those individual, plastic, dumpster things in our alley, with co-mingled, ‘single-sort’ recycling, so it’s harder to score a bunch to give away at GTGs, etc.

Philbert

I looked at the "Combi-Can" on line,, they are more expensive (in plastic) than a steel JustRite can.
I said the heck with it,,
I ordered a one gallon JustRite ,, When it gets here, I will decide,, fuel, or bar oil,,,
I use a JustRite fireproof can for my 2-Mix. I like it.

I just keep bar oil in original container with a small hole poked through the foil seal with a scrench.
Someday I'll buy a gallon of Stihl oil (I like the orange jug in the woods) and then refill it when it runs out.

No one has mentioned a gear oil pump, or a pump top container,,
about three strokes, and most saws would be full of oil,,,
Pumps like this were designed to pump gear oil,, some gear oils are thicker than chain saw oil.

Also, we use a Gain liquid laundry detergent gallon bottle,, with a push button spout
THAT might be handy,,,,,,,,,, I will try that,, when the jug is empty,
that takes months to use up a gallon, now that the kids are gone!!

Hmmmmmmmmmm,,, :crazy2:

I had a jug that the breakaway ring on the plastic didn't come off. So it would never seal right. Leaked a lot if it tipped.

Other than that, I poke a couple holes in the foil under the lid and have never thought twice about pouring it into a different container.

I use enough now where I'm thinking about getting some bulk and putting it in a gear oil dispenser.

I have posted many times that I use old used motor oil. But I don't use oil that is extremely dirty. I only use the oil that is still fairly clean and not completely black. I also don't use used diesel oil. Used diesel oil is to dirty.

I have posted many times that I use old used motor oil. But I don't use oil that is extremely dirty. I only use the oil that is still fairly clean and not completely black. I also don't use used diesel oil. Used diesel oil is to dirty.
I have heard that used hydraulic oil works really well, the guys that told me about it say its liquid gold due to its color

I’ve used a lot of used hydraulic oil. When I’m out of used I typically buy the cheapest hydraulic oil I can find. It works well if you buy a 5 gallon bucket it’s cheaper than bar oil around me

I’ve used a lot of used hydraulic oil. When I’m out of used I typically buy the cheapest hydraulic oil I can find. It works well if you buy a 5 gallon bucket it’s cheaper than bar oil around me

Much better than using used motor oil...
If I were to try hydraulic oil, I would try to find the Valvoline equivalent of hydraulic-transmission oil (HyTran in IH terms)

When I researched hydraulic oil back in 2001, the Valvoline oil had the highest content of zinc,, which is a great anti-wear additive.
I would bet the bar/chain would benefit from the zinc,,,
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 🤔

Buys cheap bar oil because it's cheap - complains that the jug it comes in is also cheap but doesn't want to spend the money for the more expensive jug because he's being cheap...lol the complains about someone else being cheap and causing his cheap ass problems

Some people just don't make sense.
Yeah, like the person who doesn’t bother reading the thread. I bought this jug I didn’t like because I forgot to bring my usual jug with me and the random hardware store was closer than going back home. Happened to me twice this year.

So I thought I would share this random PITA experience I randomly ran into to maybe keep someone else from experiencing this leaky bottle. But of course, someone has to complain about that. You are correct, some people just don’t make sense. You should buy one of these, enjoy.

Latest posts

Back