My Random Tree Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elm Hunt

On my hunt for American Elms to use in my film I found these, amazing trees.
IMG_3095.jpg

This is my great uncles house before he died and it was sold, he had a great American Elm over the garage:

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

When I was probably 5 I remember planting a tree with my great uncle and checking up on it all the time to bury cutworms at its base for some reason. And it dawned upon me to check out the tree while I was there and sure enough I planted an American Elm on the side of the road with my great uncle over 15 years ago. My father said he brought it back from Connecticut so maybe it's a hybrid of some sort:

IMG_3153.jpg

This is a nice twin trunk Elm along the same road:
IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

Big Elm

On the same road as the previous post (minus the first tree) this one also stands. Have not seen this many large Elms this close to each other in any of my surrounding towns at least yet. This one is huge much larger DBH single trunk and perfect canopy just a little thin.
IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

There is even some new shooters at breast height I was thinking about cloning it for its size, shape and obvious disease tolerance:
IMG_3119.jpg

Last edited:
Gardner MA Elm Street

Sadly this is the only original elm on Gardner's Elm Street:
IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

Directly across the street there is a small elm that who knows maybe it was taken from/as a sucker from the only remaining elm? (working on it)

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

There IS two more, both in the same persons yard a handful of houses up. But they look funny, they appear to be old enough to be planted around the 60's or 70's which is when the street lost all it's elms. So maybe they are "disease tolerant" cultivars? Maybe even two different types because they look completely different but both odd:
IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

Another One Bites The Dust!

This kinda sucks, this was a huge tree around the corner from my street I live on. This was some sort of silver maple, many street trees have blue X's I even saw a few with red (not sure if they mean different things) but this tree was unmarked, I don't know what the motive was. ALB? Who knows, there was a large decay hole at the buttress from what might have been a limb long ago but like I said no X.

IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4758.jpg

I spotted this along the railroad and I walked over 5 miles and this is THE only one I saw. It's an odd Pine of some sort, kind of soft and fluffy looking. Any idea what it is?

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

I think that there is a Tamarack (Larix laricina) go back and visit it during the autumn colors. It will change colors and lose its needles.

I think that there is a Tamarack (Larix laricina) go back and visit it during the autumn colors. It will change colors and lose its needles.

REALLY!? The only pine that looses it's needles interesting. I have seen just a few of these full grown, not many that's for sure.

I stumbled upon two large oaks behind an old elementary school, with a pipe grafted into both of them. Almost too low for swings and too high for a chin up bar haha I have no idea how or why someone would do this!

IMG_8561.jpg

IMG_8570.jpg

IMG_8567.jpg

IMG_8562.jpg

IMG_8565.jpg

Can anyone identify these two trees for me? I'm confused.

IMG_0971.jpg

It's really tall and the crotch doesn't split at all until the canopy line, not a single lower branch under that crotch. This led me to believe it was an elm but this is in the middle of the NH forest plus the bark is definitely not elm. Maybe a black hickory, bark looks right along with crotch height. What the heck is it?
IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

Then there is this thing across the street from my uncles house, is it a maple because the bark kinda does look like elm but the canopy seems too full too low to be an elm. Why is it all black and dried out is it dying or is this a disease/fungi?

The first tree looks like a white oak to me based on bark and bark coloration as well as the shape and size of the tree. Second tree is a maple, and lots of large maples have that dark thing going on, looks almost like they've had their bark charred by fire.

Untouched Beech in the woods by a sand dune, low branches and a twisted pair of what appears to be suckers...if you look by the top you can see one of the suckers is grafted to a tree branch:
IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

Another graft up higher between a branch and the sucker, will make for a neat tree someday when all mature like the roots of a mature ficus:
IMG_2385.jpg

I stumbled upon two large oaks behind an old elementary school, with a pipe grafted into both of them. Almost too low for swings and too high for a chin up bar haha I have no idea how or why someone would do this!

IMG_8561.jpg

IMG_8570.jpg

IMG_8567.jpg

IMG_8562.jpg

IMG_8565.jpg

Looks like where the old chain link fence used to be. What're you doing creeping around the woods by the elem. School? :msp_confused:

Back