My Saw "collection" (need some ID help, please)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkside's call

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Okay, after finding this forum to find info on a McCulloch today, and doing some reading I figured I'd join the rest fo the crazies here and admit that I have a little problem with collecting noisy wood chip makers...

I've had several of these saws for years, started with this unknown Homelite. When I got it it ran rough, top end power was not good. While using it to kill some larger Fir limbs it clanked and quit. Post-mortem found the reed valve in the crank case, smashed between the crank and the housing. factory rivets had worked loose... I made a new reed and backing plate, thru bolted them to the case, and it runs pretty damn well, considering. I still use it on occasion, running it with a 27" Oregon Powermatch bar. It's got manual oiling and no markings other than the Homelite on the air cleaner cover. Need some ID help on this one:

View attachment 196246
View attachment 196247

Second saw I bought, when the Homelite broke, is my Pawn shop bought Stihl 041 AV Super, with a 28" Oregon Powermatch bar... What else do I need to say.. Killer little saw that has cut some BIG trees down. I normally run Chisel bit chains on it, as it seems to pull them better..

View attachment 196248

Last edited:
Continuing on:
Next stray to follow me home was this Homelite 650, with a 36" Homelite bar. It's a non-runner died while the P.O. was using it and never restarted... I troubelshot it and it appears to have a bad coil (if anyone has a good coil PM me, please). Also looking for info/ID on this saw...

View attachment 196250
View attachment 196251

Next 2 are my tinker toy saws...First is my 18" Craftsman 2.3. this is my limb nipper/clean-up saw... got it free at work, was left in a car the boss bought for the wrecking yard.
View attachment 196252

Second is my Poulan Wild thing, also free from work, no bar, and missing the bar nuts, but it does run!
View attachment 196253

And finally the newest addition: McCulloch 840 (edit), 48" bar, Aslo FREE from the boss at work!!! Came in with a bunch of oil drums, and other stuff from a widow cleaning out the garage/shop... No fire, figure the points need to be changed/cleaned, or the plug may be fouled... Have several other pic's in my "approximate value of saw" thread.
View attachment 196254

Last edited:
The first Homelite is big. A stab in the dark would be XP1000.
Model Profile: XP-1000
196246-homelite-lt-side-jpg

196247-homelite-right-side-jpg

650 info
Model Profile: 650
196250-homelite-650-lt-side-jpg

196251-homelite-650-rt-side-jpg

There is where I left my old Mac.... Try to get that back over here when you get a chance.........
196254-mcculloch-870-jpg

The other photos
196248-stihl-041-jpg

196252-craftsman-2-3-jpg

196253-poulan-wild-thing-jpg

Last edited:
I hope you're joking about the Wild Thing... that's only an 11 year old saw, and just a limb nipper to boot!!

On Roanoker494's guess on the first Homelite, I'm thinking it's not an XP1000... the spec's say "4 reed pyramid type", but it only has a single reed, kind of a streched out D, or tongue shaped, with a matching back-up plate. It's also smaller (overall) than the 650. (BTW, thanks for linking up the pic's... how'd you do that??)

Here's a group pic of the Stihl, the Craftsman, and the 2 Homey's:

View attachment 196274

And, yea, already have offers on the Mac, and the 650... As of right now they ARE NOT for sale, but if the economy keeps going down the loo.....:msp_thumbdn:

Last edited:
Very likely with the single reed intake but for some reason I was thinking the C series had a longer air filter cover.

You're thinking of the C5/7/9 AF cover that 'hangs over' the back and only draws air from behind the saw. All the later C-series saws used the same AF cover as what's on his saw. They all are 'shorter' (no rear overhang) and draw from the sides. The covers and AF elements interchange between all of the C-Series and XP-Series saws. The saw pictured here does indeed look like a C72 based on the starter cover design. Also, the XP-series saws have a muffler can that's held to the cylinder with three screws, while the C-series only have two screws. That muffler can be identified as a two-screw type not because there's two screws on the cover, but because the back of the can angles away from the cylinder fins. If he's lucky, his C72 is one of the later ones with the pawl-type starter (like a 1050) rather than the earlier overrunning bearing type (like a C71 or XP1000).

I think our new friend has the bars on these saws mixed up (based on the pics). The C72 has what looks like an XL mount Oregon PowerMatch bar, while the 650 is wearing an older Homelite hardnose that from the pic looks to be of the wider large frame Homelite mount. Can't be 100% sure without seeing the tail ends of the bars, and Homelite DID make some XL-mount hardnoses that looked llike that. At the time they would have been sold for use on the XL700/800/900 series saws, as the 450/650/750 didn't exist yet. Of course, a dealer could have had an old NOS bar on the rack and sold it to a 650 owner. I've never seen an Oregon PowerMatch bar for a large frame Homelite. Oregon hasn't made bars in this mount pattern for quite some time......but it is possible.

That McCulloch gear drive is an 840 by the way. McCulloch never made an 870. That's a Remington shotgun...:D

Please rub some light oil on the exposed magnesium on those saws. They're just starting to get some "white death" corrosion (especially on the C72 rear handle). I like to use a 3/1 mix of WD40 and ATF. The little Craftsman is a later version of a Poulan 2300. Part of the Poulan Micro family.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...22942624cb63933888256c2600183ef9?OpenDocument

Last edited:
You're thinking of the C5/7/9 AF cover that 'hangs over' the back and only draws air from behind the saw. All the later C-series saws used the same AF cover as what's on his saw. They all are 'shorter' (no rear overhang) and draw from the sides. The covers and AF elements interchange between all of the C-Series and XP-Series saws. The saw pictured here does indeed look like a C72 based on the starter cover design. Also, the XP-series saws have a muffler can that's held to the cylinder with three screws, while the C-series only have two screws. That muffler can be identified as a two-screw type not because there's two screws on the cover, but because the back of the can angles away from the cylinder fins. If he's lucky, his C72 is one of the later ones with the pawl-type starter (like a 1050) rather than the earlier overrunning bearing type (like a C71 or XP1000).

I think our new friend has the bars on these saws mixed up (based on the pics). The C72 has what looks like an XL mount Oregon PowerMatch bar, while the 650 is wearing an older Homelite hardnose that from the pic looks to be of the wider large frame Homelite mount. Can't be 100% sure without seeing the tail ends of the bars, and Homelite DID make some XL-mount hardnoses that looked llike that. At the time they would have been sold for use on the XL700/800/900 series saws, as the 450/650/750 didn't exist yet. Of course, a dealer could have had an old NOS bar on the rack and sold it to a 650 owner. I've never seen an Oregon PowerMatch bar for a large frame Homelite. Oregon hasn't made bars in this mount pattern for quite some time......but it is possible.

That McCulloch gear drive is an 840 by the way. McCulloch never made an 870. That's a Remington shotgun...:D

Please rub some light oil on the exposed magnesium on those saws. They're just starting to get some "white death" corrosion (especially on the C72 rear handle). I like to use a 3/1 mix of WD40 and ATF. The little Craftsman is a later version of a Poulan 2300. Part of the Poulan Micro family.

Model Profile: C-72

Very smart young man. I think he nailed all of them.

The c-series saw came to me with no bar or chains, so I went to the local saw shop and they had that bar hanging on the rack... it was the last one they had back then (1996-ish). The 650 came with the bar and chain as installed. I'll get them cleaned up, now that I know they are worth "something"...

I just grabbed them as work tools originally!!!

I agree with Eccentric's muffler explanation, buuuuuut, Roanoker's take on the Homelite has some potential also. That sprocket cover IS for an XP, not a C series..... and if you look at the base of the air filter housing, there's a screw hole where there COULD have been a muffler shield attached. Truth is all the C's, XPs, and 10x0 saws are like mutts with tons of possible swap outs. I'd remove that muffler and measure the bore. There'll be a noticeable difference between a C7x and a 1000. Never know, but you may get lucky!

Dan

I agree with Eccentric's muffler explanation, buuuuuut, Roanoker's take on the Homelite has some potential also. That sprocket cover IS for an XP, not a C series..... and if you look at the base of the air filter housing, there's a screw hole where there COULD have been a muffler shield attached. Truth is all the C's, XPs, and 10x0 saws are like mutts with tons of possible swap outs. I'd remove that muffler and measure the bore. There'll be a noticeable difference between a C7x and a 1000. Never know, but you may get lucky!

Dan

You're right Dan. That cover looks like what's on my XP1020. Could have easily been swapped as you said too. It'd be odd for the single 'flat' reed manifold to be swapped onto an XP1020. Not outside possibility though, as the carb box/rear handle casting is the same for all these saws (with the exception of provissions for the third "idle adjust" screw on some of the later XP series saws) and they're all drilled with both sets of manifold mounting holes. That carb box/handle casting and AF cover on this saw look like they took a nasty hit. They're pretty cracked up. If when he pulls the muffler, there's a boss on the cylinder for the third muffler screw, then the saw MUST be a 6.1ci XP1000-1050. Maybe the early XP1000 saws don't have the boss for a third screw either. I know they've changed the cylinder part #'s about a dozen times for the XP-series saws....

Why is it many of these saws are missing the MN/SN tag? Both my XP1020 and 1130G are missing the tags. A friend gave me an XP1000 tag to put on my XP1020. Still looking for a replacement 1130G tag...

Last edited:
Ooops.. I missed the bit about the single reed. Need to take more time reading through these posts! Yea, unless the orignal manifold was busted and something was thrown on just to try to get it running..... odds are it'll probably end up a 7, but there's always hope!

Dan

thanks to everyone for the help, I THINK I'm following the reasoning. Is there anything I can easily pull off to help make positive ID's on the Homey's? I'm not adverse to a little evening/weekend exploration session.

IIRC, the starter drive on the C7x IS the pawl type (I believe I had to fix the rope at one point... ).

As far as protection/restoring, has anyone tried powdercoating saw parts? should be tough enough to hold up well, and if you have friends in the business (like I do) it wouldn't cost THAT much...

Honestly never thought I'd consider "restoring" a saw...

Maybe I should go grab my dad's Stihl?? Can't remember if it's an 064 or an 084... Local saw shop guy back home told him the electronics package was bad, and he couldn't locate one... That was a hard working saw when it was running!!

Nice collection, if your interested in selling I hope you make a few bucks...:msp_thumbup:

I do like the plywood/chipboard subwoofer box, got a laugh out of that one...:laugh:

I do like the plywood/chipboard subwoofer box, got a laugh out of that one...:laugh:

That is so he can rock on some heavy metal...while working on his HEAVY metal.

Darkside -- that's a fine collection you have going. Not familiar with the older Mac's and Homelites, but am familiar with the 041 -- at least its older brother the 040.

thanks to everyone for the help, I THINK I'm following the reasoning. Is there anything I can easily pull off to help make positive ID's on the Homey's? I'm not adverse to a little evening/weekend exploration session.

IIRC, the starter drive on the C7x IS the pawl type (I believe I had to fix the rope at one point... ).

As far as protection/restoring, has anyone tried powdercoating saw parts? should be tough enough to hold up well, and if you have friends in the business (like I do) it wouldn't cost THAT much...

Honestly never thought I'd consider "restoring" a saw...

Maybe I should go grab my dad's Stihl?? Can't remember if it's an 064 or an 084... Local saw shop guy back home told him the electronics package was bad, and he couldn't locate one... That was a hard working saw when it was running!!

As for identifying the Homies, you're 1/2 way there already. The 650 is definitely a 650. No question there. The other saw is probably a C72. Best way to know for sure is to pull the muffler cover and baffles/screen. put a popsicle stick or other similar NON METAL item in the exhaust port until it rests against the far wall of the cylinder. Rest it against the top of the exhaust port (closest to the spark plug) and SLOWLY rotate the engine until the piston clamps it in the port. Keep the stick straight in the jug, and wiggle it a bit so the edge of the port marks it. Take it out, and measure the stick from the end to the mark. That will give you a 'rough' measurement of the bore.

2.0" means a 4.9ci/80.5cc C7/71/72 (if the saw was blue, that measurement could also mean a C5/51/52)..

2.0625" means a 5.22ci/85.5cc C9/91 (they have green clutch covers, but yours has probably been swapped).

2.1875" means a 6.1ci/100cc XP1000/1020/1050 saw.

Exact identification will be impossible, since some parts have been swapped. With the starter type, reed type, and color of the saw, I still think it's a C-72. If you don't see a boss for a third muffler mounting screw (would be nearer to the spark plug, under the 'left' overhang section of the muffler can), then that again points to a C7/71/72. I believe all of the XP-series (100cc/6.1ci) Homelites had that boss on the cylinder.

Guys have stripped and powedercoated (or painted) saws for restoration. Just be sure that your guy is experienced at powdercoating magnesium.

cool, will try that this weekend adn see what it comes up as...

BTW, most sub cabinets are made from chipboard, this one just doesn't ahve the grey fabric on it anymore. I work in a wreckingyard, and have a deal with the boss to bring home the stereo gear and sell it at swap meets, etc, for him.... Keeps it all from disappearing out of the yard!

Latest posts

Back