My Splitter Build (heavy on photos)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Seeing as we lost a lot with the hack attack I'm starting my splitter build over again.

This is the start of my build, I bought a Dodge K car rear axle and brought it home from the junk yard.

Dodge%20K%20Axle.jpg

Then I stripped it down.

k-axle-03.jpg

Then I drilled out one end of the support tube so I could split the axle in two parts and shorten it up.

k-axle-04.jpg

Here is the axle mocked up with the springs.

k-axle-07.jpg

Painted spring hangers in place and ready to go.

k-axle-08.jpg

JT

I didn't have a beam long enough so I had to splice two together and they were not even the same height beams so I had to cut one down and add a cap back to it.

beam-01.jpg

Building up the beam

beam-04.jpg

Starting to fit up the cylinder and wedge.

beam-07.jpg

Wedge is done.

beam-09.jpg

Getting the supports in

beam-12.jpg

Adding the reaction plate and support for it.

beam-15.jpg

Finished the attachment structure for the beam.

beam-17.jpg

Enjoy
JT

Getting started on the frame

splitter-01.jpg

Adding my retractable roll around wheels

splitter-03.jpg

Adding the beam support structure to the frame

splitter-07.jpg

Beam upright in the working position

splitter-09.jpg

Another view

splitter-13.jpg

JT

Where did you come up with the engine? I like that series of engine as it is based on the quantum flat head. To bad they don't make it anymore.
I get them as samples from Briggs when I build equipment for them. Actually this one is an Intek model that was made in the Rolla MO plant and is 190cc with overhead valves. They have been replaced by the W series engines. They still make the Quantum in both Poplar Bluff MO and Murray KY.

JT

Ild' forgotten how nice it looks! Nice work now get 'er done! Nice shop too by the way, I'm envious.
dave
One of my projects for this winter is the finish the beast and paint it John Deere Green to match the engine. I have been overwhelmed with work lately and hope to get a break soon so I can finish up the splitter.

JT

Nice work; but, I am not sure I understand the design. Is it a vertical splitter only? It looks like the motor and frame are in the way for horizontal splitting. Am I missing something? Are you going to add a lift to get the rounds up for vertical splitting?

Nice work; but, I am not sure I understand the design. Is it a vertical splitter only? It looks like the motor and frame are in the way for horizontal splitting. Am I missing something? Are you going to add a lift to get the rounds up for vertical splitting?
Yes, it is for vertical splitting only. I built it for a comfortable work height for me. I will have a hook that can be connected to the wedge to lift heavy rounds up and on to the work table. I've used some horizontal splitters in the past and got tire of chasing the splits for re-splitting. Also I don't like to lean over the splitter to work.

JT

Back