My Splitter we run from 751 Bobcat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gensetsteve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This splitter is german about 10 or 12 tonne it came 3phase and needed a around 30 kva genset to run it. I sold the genny to a customer and never had another one come in so i plumbed it to the Bobcat. The cat runs just above idle and works fine. In the uk petrol is around $10 a gallon so small petrol engines are expensive to run. My Bobcat only does a couple hundred hours a year so is under used getting some extra hours on it before its obsolete is a bonus to me. I got a few more pics of my operation if anyone wants to see them.

Here's one my friend and I built for his Bobcat:
LogSplitter.jpg

It has a cross wedge that bangs out for logs at once. The 5" cylinder was from an old Cat front loader. With two men working, you can split five cords in a day with it. It's not a 2-stage pump, but not much stops it.
LogSplitterRam.jpg

Here's what we produced with about four or five solid hours of work, stopping now and then for a beer break:
SplitLogs.jpg

Bobcats Rock!

They both are very nice units, How well does the cross wedge work, is it worth making? I have never used one but have wonderd. What is that S250 GPM?

They both are very nice units, How well does the cross wedge work, is it worth making? I have never used one but have wonderd. What is that S250 GPM?

Wood doctors machine looks good. More powerful than ours . Sometimes ours will struggle but given sensible size wood without too many knots its fast.Two speed valve and one man operation. It complies with current health and safety regs. We have a four way for it but i prefer the accuracy of the single split especially if your machine is fast. I find it useful to hear others views because you dont realise the advantages and pitfalls until you have owned a few

Wood Doctor, you hit the nail on the head when you said Bobcats rock! The 250 is a great machine. I have put several thousand hours on T200's and T250's.

The GPM for the 250 is somewhere around 20gpm, with the aux high flow I believe the gpm is around 36.

I can answer the first question: cross wedge. It depends somewhat on what you are splitting. Huge, snarly logs can sometimes cause fits, even with this monster. I sometimes back off and lust use the front point of the cross to get the split strarted and make two passes to complete it.

You will not double your output with a cross wedge, but it will usually go up by 70% or so and even three men would be kept busy at the helm, clearing as you split. For larger dia. logs, you can sometimes get 16 to 32 nice stove logs out in four to eight passes, and that's when smiles and nods reach our heads.

On the other hand, sometimes four equal-sized logs are two small. Then you adjust the starting point and make two really good logs and two that are kindling size. Nobody usually complains about this because kindling is still nice to have.

So, there are goods and bads to a cross wedge. The important thing is that you need a lot of ram force to make a cross wedge work correctly. This beast has it, even without a 2-stage pump. With a 2-stage, this splitter would likely be even more effective.

I like the description "wood tent" I think that might stick. Heres a better pic i bought for about 1000 dollars on ebay

tent

I like the description "wood tent" I think that might stick. Heres a better pic i bought for about 1000 dollars on ebay

Thats much like the green house Iam thinkin about using, Havent had much responce here about the benifit, or negetive aspect of using the sun rays to help, or hurt the drying process, Eric

Green with envy

WOW After that picture I like the wood tent even better! Plus you have it full of WOOD! :hmm3grin2orange:

NICE SETUP!!

GSS what is that building to the right of your tent pic? Eric

Hi Eric
That is our original poly tunnel. Meant to be for growing things but ended up storing things in it. I posted this photo it also shows our trailer mounted miniveyor ideal for loading trailers once you are bent over you can load from the floor (half the work )
Can anyone tell me how you put the pics in with the text rather than seperate link

Thats much like the green house Iam thinkin about using, Havent had much responce here about the benifit, or negetive aspect of using the sun rays to help, or hurt the drying process, Eric

I would be careful of putting dry wood under glass. but polythene I would think would be fine. Leave the ends open to allow air through.

Back