My Stihl dealer refused to sell me a part!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Called in my order just about 3 days ago, just gave them the part number, and my phone number. Had a voicemail today that my part was in, so after work went to pick it up. Dealer pulled my part and it was in a small brown manilla shipping envelope so he wanted to open it to verify it was the right part.

When he did..... He stuttered and stammered, then motioned to the owner to "C'mere NOW!" Then the owner says, Sorry Bub can't sell you this part!

The part in question? Stihl's very own Limit cap removal tool!

He told me that the tool, if sold to an individual could bring down upon him an EPA mandated THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLAR FINE!!! :dizzy:

Anyone else heard of this, or is my dealer just being overprotective? (can't blame him nowadays!)

And, anyone know where to get a "Black Market" limit cap tool?

Thanks!

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

I just use a small hemostat and put one jaw inside the cap and the other outside and clamp it down....then pull. Works like a charm and they are still usable.

I bought one last year from my stihl/john deere dealer. He handed it to me and asked what it was used for ,serious :dizzy:

thats like saying you cant buy a drill bit to drill out a muffler either

I think he's overprotective I'll bet I could get one tommorow if the dealer had it

Called in my order just about 3 days ago, just gave them the part number, and my phone number. Had a voicemail today that my part was in, so after work went to pick it up. Dealer pulled my part and it was in a small brown manilla shipping envelope so he wanted to open it to verify it was the right part.

When he did..... He stuttered and stammered, then motioned to the owner to "C'mere NOW!" Then the owner says, Sorry Bub can't sell you this part!

The part in question? Stihl's very own Limit cap removal tool!

He told me that the tool, if sold to an individual could bring down upon him an EPA mandated THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLAR FINE!!! :dizzy:

Anyone else heard of this, or is my dealer just being overprotective? (can't blame him nowadays!)

And, anyone know where to get a "Black Market" limit cap tool?

Thanks!

Next time I suggest Taking Off Your
I Luv Husky hat!

its true, guys want to buy things like this from us all the time. its illegal as a dealer to sell these kind of tools to consumers, it could result in the EPA fin this dealer talked about or more realistically, the line of power equipment getting pulled from that dealership. companies are funny nowadays, *shrugs* just the way it is

Had a Stihl dealer refuse to sell me limiter caps once. I went 3 blocks away (where I work now, but didnt then) and he went in the back and brought me one, said I owed him 60 cents.

Right tool for the job

Too bad they wouldn't sell it to you but sometimes having the right tool for the job is over rated. My limiter removal tool works just fine! :)

They'll sell you the rev limiter caps though, right? Or are they off limits too?

attachment.php

Last edited:
its true, guys want to buy things like this from us all the time. its illegal as a dealer to sell these kind of tools to consumers, it could result in the EPA fin this dealer talked about or more realistically, the line of power equipment getting pulled from that dealership. companies are funny nowadays, *shrugs* just the way it is

I Think I brought 2 off them from U on e-Bay

I have access to any Stihl tool or part in production. But sometimes its just necessary to tell them to KMA and make the tool myself. I like it better that way. Fabricating tools can be very fulfilling.

I have access to any Stihl tool or part in production. But sometimes its just necessary to tell them to KMA and make the tool myself. I like it better that way. Fabricating tools can be very fulfilling.

:agree2::agree2:

The place I work at we sell dealer only tools to people we know only. Lot of our accounts have their own mechanics and we sell them whatever they need. If some guy just came in and wanted the limiter cap puller I'd tell him no. Who knows who he could be. If you sell to everyone word will get around and you can get busted. There are dealers who have been cited because of rumors alone.

Latest posts

Back