My Stihl dealer refused to sell me a part!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They'll sell you the rev limiter caps though, right? Or are they off limits too?

HA! Funny you should mention that because the day I ordered the "Tool" they actually had the caps in stock. So I picked up four of them just to have around. Grand total of about $2.50 for the four of 'em.

I really don't have a problem with using the drywall screw method, just wanted to do it the 'right' way first.

HA! Funny you should mention that because the day I ordered the "Tool" they actually had the caps in stock. So I picked up four of them just to have around. Grand total of about $2.50 for the four of 'em.

I really don't have a problem with using the drywall screw method, just wanted to do it the 'right' way first.

Well, they were able to help you out after all.

My interpretation of the right way to get them out is by any means necessary. There's nothing like having wood to cut but your freshly modded saw's peaking at 15,800 and you have no way to get it to run richer.

Threads like this make me want to burn an extra tire or two to balance things out. epa sheesh!

Its called welcome to EPA Phase III...................

I don't blame him for not wanting to sell it to you.

Well, they were able to help you out after all.

My interpretation of the right way to get them out is by any means necessary. There's nothing like having wood to cut but your freshly modded saw's peaking at 15,800 and you have no way to get it to run richer.

Yeah, no doubt they helped me out! I'd of course much rather have the spare caps and not have the right tool for the job VS the opposite.

I just thought it was odd that a $3 tool could cause such a panic at the dealership! :dizzy:

Exhibit A:

attachment.php

Small pair of needlenose, and gentle pulling alternating from a few different positions extracted them for me with essentially no damage. Needlenose used here being smaller than your typical ones, but not real hard to find.

I saw Stihl's description of the tool in the manual and couldn't believe how complicated they were making this.

only thing fancy is that it has left hand threads, so will tend to unscrew the needles. A RH drywall screw would turn the needle in towards the seat, and theoretically could bottom the needle and damage the seat. (I saw that situation on some motorcycle carbs, needles were in and broken off and carbs were junk).

But it would have to be only 1/4 turn out from the seat for contact to occur and I don't think even EPA advocates would have a saw running 1/4 turn out from seated.....

It does work slick though, I think I paid $7.

The place I work at we sell dealer only tools to people we know only. Lot of our accounts have their own mechanics and we sell them whatever they need. If some guy just came in and wanted the limiter cap puller I'd tell him no. Who knows who he could be. If you sell to everyone word will get around and you can get busted. There are dealers who have been cited because of rumors alone.

:agree2: This makes very good sense! :agree2:

This is crazy, but when you think about the amount of hydrocarbon and other pollution coming from just one saw being more than that produced by a late model truck, it kind of hits home (THALL referenced this in another thread recently). I remember being an asthmatic kid in Chicago in the '60's, when even the PCV valve was a new innovation. Talk about some stinkers. Rush hour on the Dan Ryan was worse than a Superfund site. It was so hard to breathe back then, and the EPA has been responsible for cleaning up the air a whole lot, but respiratory ailments among kids are still on the rise, so we have a ways to go, the main problem now being coal plants, diesels, and 2-strokes. My asthma went away years ago, but respiratory disease is still very common, and it is a direct result of air quality for the most part. So they squeeze us for wanting our saws to run right, while coal plants belch millions of tons of radioactive (that's right), sulfurous, and other combustion by-product laden smoke into the air every year. I guess the saw owners' lobby is not strong enough or rich enough to be heard in Washington.:mad::mad:

This is crazy, but when you think about the amount of hydrocarbon and other pollution coming from just one saw being more than that produced by a late model truck, it kind of hits home (THALL referenced this in another thread recently). I remember being an asthmatic kid in Chicago in the '60's, when even the PCV valve was a new innovation. Talk about some stinkers. Rush hour on the Dan Ryan was worse than a Superfund site. It was so hard to breathe back then, and the EPA has been responsible for cleaning up the air a whole lot, but respiratory ailments among kids are still on the rise, so we have a ways to go, the main problem now being coal plants, diesels, and 2-strokes. My asthma went away years ago, but respiratory disease is still very common, and it is a direct result of air quality for the most part. So they squeeze us for wanting our saws to run right, while coal plants belch millions of tons of radioactive (that's right), sulfurous, and other combustion by-product laden smoke into the air every year. I guess the saw owners' lobby is not strong enough or rich enough to be heard in Washington.:mad::mad:

Life would be tough without them radioactive, sulfurous, belching power plants, almost as tough as life without muffler modded chainsaws. I work at the largest coal fired power plant in the USA, for now anyway. PS you forgot to include arsenic.

Back