My style of carving

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I don't carve figures but I do shape & carve all my projects. This one I took a square of Norfolk pine, made the two triangles, & fit a koa shelf in. My second time using boiled linseed oil as a finish. I put 11 coats with two to four days in between. I really like the look & feel of it.
20221018_162921.jpg20221018_162947.jpg20221018_163007.jpg

Looks great ,Jeff. My table you sent me has curvy legs.

Thanks Jerry. I think one big difference between then & now was that I just left things as they were then, now I shape them but try to keep the natural look. This kiawe table is an example. I took a lot off the base but kept the natural curves.
Good to see you made it through that hurricane relatively unscathed. I couldn't believe it maintained its strength that far north. I have the same John Deere saw you do. I like it, also.
20221020_120135.jpg

Thanks Jerry. I think one big difference between then & now was that I just left things as they were then, now I shape them but try to keep the natural look. This kiawe table is an example. I took a lot off the base but kept the natural curves.
Good to see you made it through that hurricane relatively unscathed. I couldn't believe it maintained its strength that far north. I have the same John Deere saw you do. I like it, also.
View attachment 1025961
Those natural curves are the best in my humble opinion, as a carver myself it is more than difficult to do a better job than nature or natural, we can do more contrived shapes but those from nature will outshine us in the right beholders eye. We did get hit hard for so far North, it`s the ever increasing warming of the ocean at our doorstep that contributes to these nasty storms. That 56 has surprised me since I built it and a logger friend wants me to build him one just like it, he now runs a Jonsered 2260 and its a nice saw,we replaced the module on it when the original went out.

Those natural curves are the best in my humble opinion, as a carver myself it is more than difficult to do a better job than nature or natural, we can do more contrived shapes but those from nature will outshine us in the right beholders eye. We did get hit hard for so far North, it`s the ever increasing warming of the ocean at our doorstep that contributes to these nasty storms. That 56 has surprised me since I built it and a logger friend wants me to build him one just like it, he now runs a Jonsered 2260 and its a nice saw,we replaced the module on it when the original went out.

I agree on the superior shapes nature gives us. I always set aside interesting pieces of wood.

Latest posts

Back