My three new 50cc class saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platoon Daddy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased an Efco 152 18in bar, traded for a husqvarna 450 with 18in bar and bought a Makita 540 with a 21in bar. I'm extremely pleased with the Efco...not happy with the husky at all, and have yet to receive the Makita...I know that the Makita is in essence a Dolmar, but could anyone tell me a little more about this saw please? Would it be "happier" with an 18in bar? I'm curious about the performance etc. It's primary function will be bucking/felling oak trees larger than 15in for my firewood operation. I'm also considering doing some trading (with the husky and a couple smaller stihls) for a 60ish cc class new stihl...I'm not seriously influenced by the saws that carry the "pro" title given the huge increase in price...I dont earn a living with a chainsaw and I try to have enough saws in the same class so as not to over use any one saw exclusively (that's my excuse for buying numerous saws lol)...your thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 278967

Respectfully,

Platoon Daddy

I like to run my saws with more power and less bar if that makes sense..? on a 50cc saw you'll likely be very happy with 16-18in bar and 3/8 chain. If you run 20in bar drop your pitch to .325 instead of 3/8. I have a 520i (same as 540 just 1-2mm less bore diameter) and have been very pleased with 18in 3/8 combo. The only reason guys would go any longer than 18in on a 50cc saw, is to avoid bending over as much.

How big do the diameter of your trees get? if you're looking at 16-20inch diameter I would get a 60-70cc class saw and run a 24in bar. it will make bucking and felling much easier. Not to say you can't buck and fell your trees with a 50cc its just easier on the saws if you get something with a little more power that will take the abuse a little better. 50cc's is perfect for the top half of any tree but the bottom half is better done with a little bigger saw. just my opinion, but if you like it you might consider trading that 450 off for a 6400/6401/6421 dolmar/makita. They run a mean 24inch bar and can be upgraded to 79-84cc's (basic top end swap - 1hour), should your needs ever increase and need more power...

also not to rain on your parade but...
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/227664.htm

I found a Makita dcs 330 down here for $80 can we do a 7900 swap on it ? Haha jk about the swap yeah Efco is notorious for poor support. If you're interested in 60cc Stihl find a fried 290 or 310 and buy a Baileys BB kit. For a Stihl clamshell that's about as close to plug and play as you get. For the average guy couple hours in labor and you're up and going.

I found a Makita dcs 330 down here for $80 can we do a 7900 swap on it ? Haha jk about the swap yeah Efco is notorious for poor support. If you're interested in 60cc Stihl find a fried 290 or 310 and buy a Baileys BB kit. For a Stihl clamshell that's about as close to plug and play as you get. For the average guy couple hours in labor and you're up and going.

I've found a couple used 7900's this last year for $300-$400 in pretty good shape! If you don't know where to look for a torched carcass you end up spending $200-$300 on a 64cc farmboss... No thanks... they are a good idea if you can find a $25 torched saw and put a 49mm top end on but other than that... they are a PITA to work on, and only put out moderate power for the size and have zero upgrade-ability... If I were the OP I would find a good 60-70cc saw in the classifieds here or CL or ebay... whatever... and then ditch the 450 and possibly the efco too...

I agree with staying away from the farm boss but he said he wanted a Stihl but didn't want to pay for a pro. That'd be the only option left. Best bang for your buck is Husqvarna 365 they can be had at a great price and are upgrade worthy. You're not too far from Clinton and I do believe there's a Dolmar dealer in town. They're light and they run with the best of them. You're mostly Oak and Locust in your area it'd be worth the money for a "pro" saw. Plenty of saws to be had you're not real far from Stumpy give him a call he may have something laying around.

You're buying 50cc saws for felling and bucking oaks over 15"? That's just about where i want to put the 50cc down and get something with some grunt. :)

You're buying 50cc saws for felling and bucking oaks over 15"? That's just about where i want to put the 50cc down and get something with some grunt. :)
Seriously? 15" is 40cc territory. My 42cc Craftsman will do that without breaking a sweat.

Yes im serious. 15" is just about where my 50ccs bar is fully buried and if i have a choice ill grab the bigger saw for. If nothing else, it has the double felling spikes that are really sweet for cutting notches. Doing the back cut from one side alone is a plus. For bucking it doesn't really matter that much and i go with the small stuff because its usually done at the same time as limbing. But just for bucking (say a trucload of wood) i'd go for the bigger saw again.

I should find a nice 35"ish tree and drop it with the 180 and a 14" once, so i can appreciate bigger saws more after that.

Lol - my perspective must be distorted because I run plastic Poulans that can easily pull an 18" bar. I don't have any pro saws, but from what I read here with those you need at least 80cc to pull an 18" bar! Never did quite understand that.

Ahh, I'm just kidding, but sometimes we get a little carried away around here. 15" really isn't anything, and I really wouldn't consider using more than my 42cc, 18" plastic Poulan for that.

So you''re the one who bought the DCS 540. If it is the one off the bay, earlier this week that one was in excellent condition. Seller works for Stihl and had good things to say.

My 540s came through with 18" bars, and run sooooooo much better after a slight muffler mod and retune that its hard to believe. Prior to, they were sluggish, slow revving, and modest power. After opening the muffler and retuning there is no problem burying the bar (3/8 .050) and tearing through dry cherry. My 401s reacted similarly after a MM, but for smaller wood.

From the 540 I would suggest that you make a larger step up to a Stihl 440 or Husky 365/372.

The Makita 540 is a far better built saw than any of the others you mentioned.
It will pull a 20" bar nicely and give you many years of good service.
I really liked the one I had and would still have it except for the plethora of 50cc saws I own, and the fact that another guy wanted it worse than I did.

The only problem I can tell you about, inherent to the 540 is the oiler pickup tube will shrink over time (unless it already has the upgraded one) and leak bar oil everywhere. The upgraded part is around $10.00 and the installation is simple after you get the clutch off.

The 540 won't be quite as fast as the newer hotrod 50cc saws but you will be very pleased with it.

Mike

Seriously? 15" is 40cc territory. My 42cc Craftsman will do that without breaking a sweat.

Yes im serious. 15" is just about where my 50ccs bar is fully buried and if i have a choice ill grab the bigger saw for. If nothing else, it has the double felling spikes that are really sweet for cutting notches. Doing the back cut from one side alone is a plus. For bucking it doesn't really matter that much and i go with the small stuff because its usually done at the same time as limbing. But just for bucking (say a trucload of wood) i'd go for the bigger saw again.

I should find a nice 35"ish tree and drop it with the 180 and a 14" once, so i can appreciate bigger saws more after that.

There a member here that runs a 15" b/c on his 60 cc class saw so don't laugh to hard :taped:

Back