My TOP TEN advice list for Stihl, Inc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naaaaaaaaaaaa I'm gonna the top off it and show what isn't there, the rest of the saw. That with oil puking out the bottom should be more than enuff proof to makem buy those Stihls like wildfire. It may sound like a low idea but hey I paid 600.00 for it, its mine so I'll do what the hell I feel like with it, ownership is a beautifull thing,LOLOL

Just don't waste that Stihl bar oil, go get some pullon oil from wally's world.

$600? Wow:dizzy: :dizzy:

Maybe he's got something then--call it the Stihl pos series. Should be easy to upsell then. Oh wait though, we need a term that would distinguish the homeowner from the pro saws, huh. :chainsaw: :cheers:

That's the best you can come up with???? lolol

Stihl has it figured... occassional use, mid-range, pro.. Which are you??

Just don't waste that Stihl bar oil, go get some pullon oil from wally's world.

$600? Wow:dizzy: :dizzy:

Ha, I'm gonna thin that oil with kerosene to make it leak even more and faster, might need to call the EPA for the oil spill,LOLOL

Stihl has it figured... occassional use, mid-range, pro.. Which are you??

Exactly...... if people don't like a particular model, don't buy it. Go for what suits ya and fits your hands. Don't know why everyone expects any saw company to tweak their product line to their particular desires. Or worse yet imitate another saw company's product line. Differences and choices are good. If every color of saw were all the same, what the he!! good is that?? There are things to like and dislike for me in EVERY saw. I go for the one with the least dislikes and highest durability.........

I here all this talk about wich saws need to be dropped, but what I think we need is a thread about wich models should be brought back. I mean husky resurected the 372 didn't they? How about a 2008 model 056 magII or an epa friendly homie 750. Even the old sp81 macs with updated anti-vibe. Of course this is just in MY fantasy world, but I figured while we are wishin in one hand and posting in the other, that I'd go ahead and see what happens. I'll check my shed in the morning, but I'll bet that my wishing hand will still be empty.:greenchainsaw:

I here all this talk about wich saws need to be dropped, but what I think we need is a thread about wich models should be brought back. I mean husky resurected the 372 didn't they? How about a 2008 model 056 magII or an epa friendly homie 750. Even the old sp81 macs with updated anti-vibe. Of course this is just in MY fantasy world, but I figured while we are wishin in one hand and posting in the other, that I'd go ahead and see what happens. I'll check my shed in the morning, but I'll bet that my wishing hand will still be empty.:greenchainsaw:

Not a bad idea...definately worthy of starting a new topic.

I'm really surprised the 290 is so well liked, I know Stihl sells a boat load of them every year and I just don't know why.

Wait maybe I do. Stihl has one of the best marketing departments in the world and I find it very similar to Harley Davidson. The reasoning behind this markiting is, if you can sell the name, you well sell the product, no matter how good or bad that product is. It becomes more of a cultural thing more than anything else, just look at lower income Caucasian, they love HD for no other reason than cleaver marketing. I think most people in the US who buy Stihl products do so solely based on the name.

I'm sure the 290 is a fine saw in it's intend market, but as someone who does his homework before making a purchase, and doesn't buy something because it has the right name on it, at 13lbs and 3.8 bhp I'll pass.:cheers:

Last edited:
What "marketing". Customers don't have a clue about stihl marketing... which is al most non-existent anyhow.. Most 029/290 sales are "word of mouth" - referals from friends or people they trust...

Lake, you have not seen the spashy late nite ads on TV? A hot babe comes out with this deep cleavage that is so huge, she takes out a 290 from between them and says, "Now come on boys, come on down and buy this Stihl MS290 POS chainsaw from me. Call me, right now."

I have to agree with you though. I have yet to see any particular Stihl saw marketing hype at all. Nor do I remember any, for any saw that they make. As for marketing, that seems to be limited to an occasional calendar on a wall or a background banner at hotsaw events on TV. Of course, I do not read Chainsaw Today or Hot Throbbing Chainsaw Girls magazines. Maybe I am missing something in the otherwise over-hyped and advertized American media? :cheers:

I think a 290 without an air filter would get you by for quite a few years. If your worried about the vibrations, I think the number of posts you make bashing the 290 is a lot more detrimental to your arthritis, than what you would get using a 290.

LOL! :greenchainsaw:

I'm really surprised the 290 is so well liked, I know Stihl sells a boat load of them every year and I just don't know why.

Wait maybe I do. Stihl has one of the best marketing departments in the world and I find it very similar to Harley Davidson. The reasoning behind this markiting is, if you can sell the name, you well sell the product, no matter how good or bad that product is. It becomes more of a cultural thing more than anything else, just look at lower income Caucasian, they love HD for no other reason than cleaver marketing. I think most people in the US who buy Stihl products do so solely based on the name.

I'm sure the 290 is a fine saw in it's intend market, but as someone who does his homework before making a purchase, and doesn't buy something because it has the right name on it, at 13lbs and 3.8 bhp I'll pass.:cheers:

Right!

Latest posts

Back