My TOP TEN advice list for Stihl, Inc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's only $$$$... Stihl NW has a handfull of P+C kits left... Sell your pistion.. buy the kit...

I just got my new fuel tank and air box frame ($20 on evil-bay).. and new crankcase/crank... ,bearings... complicated swap for a laptop... ;)

Last edited:
Thats funny how this turned into the "290 bashfest 2007" thread. :fart:

I think that AS in general is a giant forum dedicated to bashing the Stihl MS290. If anyone posts anything about a 290, the Husky dog teams come running along towing their sleds and start picking them apart. Then they get bashed again by the supersized StihlHead beer drinkers, and then by the WitldThang lovers.

Amusing though, as I really do not get THAT much better performance out of my 361 than the 290 (certainly not when compared to the price difference), and the weight difference is not really noticable. And I run it with a 20 inch bar all the time (over 4 years now), which seemingly is a sin in the Eastern USA and Europe for some reason. I have west coast long bar disease I guess? Dunno, it runs FINE and I get that German zing running it, even though it is a boat anchor only worthy of being a door stop. :bang:

Amusing also that this is Stihl's best selling saw, even with all that bashing. Seems the bashing has little effect, or like the anual Playboy centerfold searches on many a college campus, all the anti-???? demonstrations do is get more publicity and then more women turn out for photo shoots. I have yet to stop using my 290 becasue I was told that it is too heavy, too underpowered, too bulky, has too much plastic, makes me look stupid using it, it is a HOMEOWNER SAW (point point, how dare you use THAT in a professional capacity), or that it makes me gay. I mean, you would think that the thing was a 170 or something.

Personally I think that if you want to trash a Stihl saw line, go after the 210/230/250 line. The 250 is about the same price as a 290 and they tend to self-destruct. The clutch housing basically does a melt-down and the oil pump housing warps and the tank melts open. I have seen a Hell of a lot of these melted and fried units come up on Ebay, and it has happened to me on a 250 that I had (sold as parts on Ebay a few weeks ago; I got a whopping 99 cents for the melted-through body). Run them too long and they are toast. Run a 290 all day and it keeps on going.

Oh well. The 361 is the Beloved Jewell of AS, while the 290 is the Evil AS Saw to be scorned. Some things will never change I guess.

Last edited:
Good post.. but I've seem more 290's burned up than 250's - it's not running them hard - it's dipsh?tnewbie users running them with the brake ON. Both saws can overpower (with a lot of stupid effort) the clutch if it's oiley...

Ebay is a bad place to take a sample of dead saws... it's the only place they end up with a market, so it's distorted.

Good post.. but I've seem more 290's burned up than 250's - it's not running them hard - it's dipsh?tnewbie users running them with the brake ON. Both saws can overpower (with a lot of stupid effort) the clutch if it's oiley...

Ebay is a bad place to take a sample of dead saws... it's the only place they end up with a market, so it's distorted.

Amusing. I see few DOA 290s. Gobs of 250s. On mine a clutch spring broke. It thrashed it. I would not think that someone would try to run them with the brake set. Though they sure sell a lot of saws on Ebay with scored pistons and cylinders. Raw gas specials. Though thinking about it... I would assume that in your line of work, these morons would actually be an asset? :laugh:

I have found that Ebay is a great place to buy broken, dead and parts chainsaws. I would avoid it like the plague if you want to buy a good working chainsaw. :taped:

Unfortunatley the morons are usually really pissed off -first -"this POS wouldn't run and just smoked". Second.. when they get "genty" shown the problem.. Then there is the other guys that have figured out the brake was on, take it off, then come in and try to act "innocent". sure... Thinking about it, probably no more than 1 per month... most can be recovered for not too many $$.

Ah ha!

So Lake, the way I see it is that this is a case for selling "Homeowners" professional saws, and "Professionals" homeowner saws. Professionals know that they should leave the brake off when they are cutting, and thus can use more delicate cased saws. Like bycicle racers and their fragile composit frames. Homeowners should only use more expensive saws with metal around the clutch area so they can take the heat when they are cooked.

Now all we need is oil mix injector tanks that have a kill switch in them when the tank is empty, and we can cut down on scored pistons as well. :newbie:

Last edited:
So Lake, the way I see it is that this is a case for selling "Homeowners" professional saws, and "Professionals" homeowner saws. Professionals know that they should leave the brake off when they are cutting, and thus can use more delicate cased saws. Like bycicle racers and their fragile composit frames. Homeowners should only use more expensive saws with metal around the clutch area so they can take the heat when they are cooked.

Now all we need is oil mix injector tanks that have a kill switch in them when the tank is empty, and we can cut down on scored pistons as well. :newbie:

seem like you had a nice crop of wacky weed this year..:popcorn::)

How is the saw or clutch or the housing burned up with the break on? Are people really stupid enough to hold the throttle wide open without the chain turning for such a long time? Or does the clutch heat up that fast?

How is the saw or clutch or the housing burned up with the break on? Are people really stupid enough to hold the throttle wide open without the chain turning for such a long time? Or does the clutch heat up that fast?

Just a few really stupid people.... Everyone that stands on my side of the counter sees guys that don't understand about the chain brake...

seem like you had a nice crop of wacky weed this year..:popcorn::)

If I did smoke that stuff, which I don't, it would not be cured after harvesting yet. Several months to go... or so I was told.

Basically? I am just naturally crazy. However this will be my new 'logical' response to people on AS who ask me why I dare to use a non-professional saw such as the POS, boat anchor, homeowner-only, completely useless MS 290 to cut with in a prefessional maner. Especially since I have a perfectly good slick and just broken in 361 on hand.

Cannot drive the Vette every day, eh?

No need to say your sorry Sawtroll, if thats how you feel then thats how you feel. I will say these saws seems to be getting the best of you ole boy, why such the hate over a saw family you don't use, don't own, surely Stihl hasn't forced you to buy one so why the hate. You calling them a POS is hate my man and there's no need for that. Chill ole feller. Tomorrow during our sale I'm gonna sell alot of those POS's as you callem and the people that buy them are gonna lovem, how do I know, cause I've already sold thousands of them. I'm also gonna take my leaky 372 tomorrow at the sale we're having just to show folks the great Husky quailty of none. With oil pouring out the bottom of it thats one POS thats gonna make me alot of sales and yet I still don't hate that saw, in fact I kinda like it, its serves it purpose quite well. See Sawtroll hate is a bad thing. Learn to love all saws, they all have a purpose, even if its leaking oil to sell another brand. Hate is a terrible thing ole feller, chill man.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Incredible intelligent post as always Tom. Man I would like to see the kind of people buying saws from you ;) Do they have mouth, nose, 2 eyes and 2 ears like the rest of us?

I got one for you...How about a REAL filtration system on the 460? They SUCK!!!:notrolls2: Stihl has got to know how bad the 460 and 440 filtration is. Especially if you are using them to cut and buck timber day in and day out.

... surely Stihl hasn't forced you to buy one so why the hate. You calling them a POS is hate my man and there's no need for that. Chill ole feller. Tomorrow during our sale I'm gonna sell alot of those POS's as you callem and the people that buy them are gonna lovem, how do I know, .....

I don't hate any saw really, but I may have used the word anyway...

What you sold was 2-MS310's-1-MS260-2-MS290's-1-MS210-1-MS250-1-MS460-1-MS660 and 4-MS361's in chainsaws - I am really happy to see that the real saws outsold the others by 7 to 6 - actually I am a bit surpriced......:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back