My TOP TEN advice list for Stihl, Inc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the story with the 280? I haven't seen one in person yet. Is it supposed to be a pro type saw like the 260pro or more like the 290-310 series?

Like the 290/310/390 series, the 270 and 280 are in the mid-range saw class (according to Stihl literature). More plastic components. They are not a pro saw, like the 260 and up more serious series. Yah, the Stihl numbering is pretty crazy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

170/180: occasional use saws
192/200: occasional use saws
192T/200T: arborist saws (top handle models used mainly by pros)
210/230/250: occasional use saws
260: pro saw
270/280: mid-range saws
290/310: mid-range saws
361: Bullet proof pro saw (arguably the best saw they make)
390: mid-range saw...
440 and above: Pro saws for burly lumberjacks with steel balls

Last edited:
MS200 occational use saw ????????:confused:

:cheers:

Its right there in my Stihl catalog. Under Chain Saw Specifications on page 33:

Occasional Use Weenie Saws: MS 170, MS 180C-B, MS 180C-BE, NEW! MS192 C-E, MS 200... etc.

Yah, I did a double take whan I first saw that one. But it is there. However, in the same catalog it also lists the MS 200 with the Professional Chain Saws on page 26. So I guess its a hybrid professional occasional use saw.

Marketing for you! :spam: They ballucks'd it up! :givebeer:

This is only confusing for people who do not know what they are looking at. The ms200 is an adaption/variation of the ms200t, they basically added a conventional rear handle to the arborist top-handled model, definitely a pro-level saw to any knowledgeable sawyer. My guess is that chart you're referring to on page 33 was loosely organized by cc's...........

If you need a chart to tell the difference between pro & consumer saws then you should probably stick to the saws near the top of said chart on page 33.:givebeer: :dizzy:

The USS* Weenie MS 200 in my catalog is rated at 1.6 kW (2.1 bhp).

USS: United States Stihl... for you ex-swabbies out there.

That adds up, it is listed at 1.7kW/2.3hp here.

...it might just be the spark arrestor, but I don't really know.....

Last edited:
Incredible intelligent post as always Tom. Man I would like to see the kind of people buying saws from you ;) Do they have mouth, nose, 2 eyes and 2 ears like the rest of us?

Yup they have ears, noses, mouthes and many have multi million homes, hint, they don't care about saws, least of their concerns. See Peter I keep trying to tell you not everyone cares about saws or filtration, vib systems or anything else about them. If it runs and cuts thats good enough. You will realize that one day and then understand how it works.

I admit I was teasing Sawtroll in that long post about the 372. I never took it to work, don't want all that dayumm oil in the back of my truck,LOL

... I admit I was teasing Sawtroll in that long post about the 372. I never took it to work, don't want all that dayumm oil in the back of my truck,LOL

I am not that easy to tease, :greenchainsaw:

..you could have fixed that a long time ago, if you wanted to....:givebeer:

I am not that easy to tease, :greenchainsaw:

..you could have fixed that a long time ago, if you wanted to....:givebeer:

Who was he going to send it to? No reason he should have to work on a brand new $600 saw....

Given the fix may be something simple, that is not the point here.

My guess is that chart you're referring to on page 33 was loosely organized by cc's...........

Nope. The 'master' chart is organized by usage type. Occasional use models, then mid-range models, then pro models. Within each range they are listed by model number, low to high. The 200 is way at the top in the occasional use section. Clearly a mistake on their part.

Latest posts

Back