My very own super score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
Reaction score
Well i went for a big drive on Sunday to pick up a Dolmar 115i. Always wanted one and could not say no for the price for the condition it is in. Also it was real close by to my main destination. Over 130 New old stock chainsaw bars. Some are real old and no doubt hard to come by now days. Mix of everything. McCulloch bars, Solo, Atom, Oregon, GB, Shindaiwa, Komatsu Zenoah, Oleo Mac. About 40% are hard nose bars and 60% sprocket nose. I spent an hour or so today just sorting them into bar mounts to see what I have.

Best part is the bloke selling them is doing so on behalf of his mother because his father passed away recently. His dad ran a small engine repair business and the huge shed which he ran the business from was a treasure trove of chainsaws and parts and mowers, blowers etc etc. Rows and rows of parts bins with NOS parts for Husky, Sachs-Dolmar and most any brand too. There were several Husky's that were in very good condition except for needing a new top end. I had my eye on a minty 66. Also a little Shindaiwa that looked like it was brand new but was missing the rear handle. Boxes and boxes of McCulloch parts and other brands also.

I was planning to be there 30 minutes or so to pay for and collect the bars. Ended up talking to the owner and reminiscing about his father and the business and he kept showing me things and i kept looking through parts bins. I was there for 3 hours and it felt like i had only scratched the surface. Best part is he is waiting for me to come back soon and go through everything and make him an offer on what i want to buy before he offers anything for sale to anyone else. Christmas has come early. Can't beat that! :) :rock:

I will be posting photos when i get a chance as i will need a hand to identify some of the bars that i have no clue about. Most of the ones that are not needed will be going up for sale.

Honestly the best part of the day was getting to know his father a little bit through what he was telling me as we went through the shed and looked at parts and saws and things. I would have had a great day if i had gone home without the bars. :) I have arranged to go back in a few weekends time. It is a 6 hours round trip but i really feel it is worth it. Going to go through the saws and saw parts this time. I really appreciate him letting me have first dibs before he puts the rest up on ebay or whatever he decides.

Here are some pics. I have roughly sorted them into bar mounts. Some i know as i use them on my saws but some are from much older saws than what i usually work on and use.
The Atom hard nose bars in the last pic are both Husky large mount. Long one is a 24" 3/8" 058 so i will keep one for my saws as i run that size. Short one is 13" 3/8". There must have been smaller cc saws using that mount because i cannot see a reason to put a 13" bar on my 372XP or 7900? :dizzy: Then there is a 10" Solo bar with the husky large mount?

I have picked out approx 7-10 bars that i will keep for myself but the rest are up for grabs. I will try to get a better list of what exactly i have in the next day or two.

upload_2014-11-19_0-54-39.jpeg upload_2014-11-19_0-54-52.jpeg
upload_2014-11-19_0-55-4.jpeg

Oh and heres the Dolmar 115i i got the same day. It's a bit dirty in the pics because i had put 2 tanks through it to give it a workout. Like many of these models of Dolmar it leaks a bit of bar oil when sitting but unlike my 111i, it seems to stop after only a small puddle had formed. I retuned it by ear in some logs after checking compression and checking it all out. Cuts really well with the 64DL 3/8 full chisel carlton chain i had laying around. The bar it came with needs dressing really badly. The Dolmar chisel chain needs a grind too as the leading edge was slightly bent down on all the teeth. Makes sense because the fellow told me how well it was cutting through railway sleepers! :dizzy: Not something i would try with a full chisel chain! It's not going to win any awards for handling and balance but i was bucking and felling with it for a couple of hours in hardwood up to the length of the bar (16") and it performed really well. Noticeably more power in the cut than my Makita flavoured 111i.

upload_2014-11-19_1-14-5.jpegupload_2014-11-19_1-14-12.jpeg

Any 044 or 064 saws ? What about 288 xp saws ? I might be in the market let me know. Parts for 288 also let me know .
Ty Chris

Nah nothing like that as far as i know. I will be going through it all in much more detail in a few weeks. As a small engine and mower repair shop he understandably has old parts for mainstream homeowner models and not the pro models unfortunately.

I went over the notes i took on the parts and saws that i looked at and the husky saw that needs a new piston and maybe cylinder was a 266 and not a 66 like i thought. I was trying to look at everything and not spend too much time on just one saw of one part of the shed.

So what is a 266 like to run? Worth going to the trouble to repair? Easy to work on? I hope the parts i need are easy to find if he doesn't have them in the husky parts bins in that shed.

Great, thanks for the info Jonathan. Saw looked real low hours. As if someone had it and straight gassed it after a few hours or something. Maybe he used it as a parts saw to fix another as the son said he had done this before to get a customers saw up and running for them. Was missing cylinder top only i think, but I will make him an offer on it and the other stuff i had my eye on when i go back.

I picked up a Dolmar 5105 that seems to have been straight gassed within a few tanks, if that. It always amazes me how quickly a saw can be taken out of action.

Yeah i saw that one when you posted the pictures. Looks real new. Seems paying a decent price for a new saw doesn't automatically mean people understand the most basic instruction on how to use it without destroying it. :rolleyes:

I have 2 of them they are a real nice strong running saw for 50cc.

Yeah i saw that one when you posted the pictures. Looks real new. Seems paying a decent price for a new saw doesn't automatically mean people understand the most basic instruction on how to use it without destroying it. :rolleyes:

I have 2 of them they are a real nice strong running saw for 50cc.

PPE can only protect so much.........LOL

Back