Myths and facts of EPA Wood Burning Stoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrebug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've read with interest a lot of good comments recently regarding high efficiency wood stoves. However there are some myths that I'd like to debunk from a MFG point of view.

Let me try to dispel some of these myths:

1) Wood burning appliances no matter what their brand and model do not produce BTU's. Wood has BTU. The more wood you can put in there the more BTU you will get out. If one complains his new wood stove is not heating enough, it must be because the unit was not sized appropriately or the fuel is inadequate (see below)

2) A pound of wood is worth about 8,000 BTU at 15% humidity. Wood burns best between 15% to 20% humidity. Above that it is considered ‘wet’ and its BTU output is considerably reduced. This is because the first phase of combustion is to eliminate moisture out of the wood. Therefore all the initial caloric energy (heat) has to boil off water first.

3) Smoke condenses at about 250f. Therefore, because wet wood takes longer to reach gas combustion (visible flames) you will see a lot of smoke until you can get past the 250f limit. The longer it stays below that range the more creosote formation.

4) Efficiencies are measured in EPA wood stoves with the ‘stack loss’ method. That is, whatever heat is lost in the flue is deducted from the total heat output. Ie. An 85% efficient stove means 15% of its heat is lost in the chimney. This is not bad; you need that 15% to create a draft. Old wood stoves (pre-EPA smoke dragons) were typically in the 40% to 50% efficiency range. To provide enough heat for the house they had a large combustion chamber (more BTU) and a high air to fuel ratio. That is they burned fast.

5) A wood stove is basically a carburetor. You have fuel and oxygen. You also have a third component – Heat. These three factors must be balanced carefully to provide best efficiencies and burn time. Too rich creates too much smoke and loss of efficiencies. Too lean and the fire burns out of control and burn time is reduced drastically.

6) Suggestions on raising the fire with a fire grate actually reduces heat output and affect efficiencies. A grate takes a great deal of space meaning less wood can fit in the stove (less BTU). A grate serves no purpose whatsoever in an EPA stove since the primary air intake feeds oxygen directly to the logs and the secondary air channels feed oxygen to the top re-burn tubes.

7) Trying to extract more heat from EPA wood stoves with heat reclaiming devices (flue type or water coils etc…) actually degrades the performance of the unit. The unit will take longer to reach optimum temperature and will not stay as long in the ‘sweet spot’ of secondary combustion. This will cause a cooler fire chamber, more smoke, more creosote, incomplete combustion and poor draft.

8) Your worst enemy is the ‘old guy syndrome…’ Son, you can’t tell me how to burn wood, I’ve been doing it before you were a glint in your dad’s eye… will only make matters worse. The reason your whole way of burning wood must change is the same reason we went from carburetors to fuel injectors or venting old gas appliances versus new gas appliances. The more efficient the unit, the more you have to respect their parameters. It’s a trade-off and you win at the end anyway.

9) Start your fire with small dry kindling and get a small intense fire going immediately to get your draft established. Then keep adding bigger and bigger dry pieces of wood until the biggest is no bigger than 6” to 8” max. Small splits offer more surface area for gases to escape and charcoal phase to begin. A big round log takes longer to get to temp, moisture has to follow the grain and can only evaporate at either end therefore slowing combustion and increasing creosote.

10) Wood stoves are tested and certified for safety by UL. Any attempt at removing parts, drilling holes, modifications etc… immediately voids the UL safety certification and if your house burns down you don’t have insurance.

11) Wood burning appliances no matter what their brand and model do not ‘draft’. It’s a black square box made out of metal with no moving parts. I cant repeat this often enough, a wood stove does not ‘draft’. If you have drafting problems or smoke in the house look at the following: Poor chimney design (this is a whole topic on its own), barometric pressure, temperature differential, length of chimney, house under negative pressure, wet wood and many other factors but almost never a wood stove problem.

12) If you really want to be entertained, there is nothing quite like a chimney fire. Let’s hope it’s not at your house!

In conclusion, the difference between a new EPA high efficiency wood burning appliance and the old one is the new appliance controls the combustion a lot tighter. Both will output the same BTU per pound of wood. However, the old one will burn a lot faster and waste over 50% of its energy in the chimney. The new EPA stoves on the other hand will control and optimize the combustion for a clean, efficient and long lasting burn.

If you want more heat get a bigger stove.

Your best friend is a wood moisture meter and a straight up chimney (that’s what she said!)

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Good one. Real thorough. A good read. We manage to derail the EPA agenda here with the Heatmor 200 Outdoor Wood Boiler. I'm a proponent of the LABL Society. (Load A Bigger Log.)

Thanks for taking the time and effort to write that up. Maybe it will edjumacate some people.

1) Wood burning appliances… do not put out BTU's. Wood has BTU…
Why then, are they given a BTU output rating?

2) …Wood burns best between 15% to 20% humidity. Above that it is considered ‘wet’ and its BTU output is considerably reduced...
Exactly how much is “considerably” anyway?

4) …An 85% efficient stove means 15% of its heat is lost in the chimney…
Is that with the stove set on high, low, or somewhere in between? Any wood? Any moisture content? Any size fuel load? Or just the wood and quantity they tested it with?

5) A wood stove is basically a carburetor…
Hmmmm…… I would classify it as more like the engine the carburetor is bolted to.

6) Suggestions on raising the fire with a fire grate actually reduces heat output and affect efficiencies. A grate takes a great deal of space meaning less wood can fit in the stove (less BTU). A grate serves no purpose whatsoever in an EPA stove since the primary air intake feeds oxygen directly to the logs…
Wow, that’s quite an assumption on your part. I know I can remove the brick from the bottom of mine (no longer needed with a grate) and easily build a grate that would not raise the fire one iota. The primary air feeds oxygen directly to the logs? How does it do that?

7) Trying to extract more heat from EPA wood stoves with heat reclaiming devices… will cause a cooler fire chamber, more smoke, more creosote, incomplete combustion and poor draft.
Let’s come back to this in a minute.

8) Your worst enemy is the ‘old guy syndrome…
OMG… I’m my own worst enemy!

9) Start you fire with small dry kindling…
Naw, I’m stickin’ with an accelerant…

10) Wood stoves are tested and certified for safety by UL. Any attempt at removing parts, drilling holes, modifications etc… immediately voids the UL safety certification and if your house burns down you don’t have insurance.
And we have another insurance expert. Funny thing, I’ve made several wood burning appliances from scratch (no UL certification at all), modified a few others, my insurance “guy” was fully aware… and I’ve always had insurance. How can that be?

11) Wood burning appliances… do not ‘draft’… I cant repeat this often enough, a wood stove does not ‘draft’.almost never a wood stove problem.
I’m totally confused… #7 says if I modify my stove with a heat reclaiming device it won’t draft properly… and now you’re saying a stove doesn’t draft at all. Really, I’m totally confused.

12) If you really want to be entertained, there is nothing quite like a chimney fire...
Cleans-up the inside of the chimney real good too.

:D Ya’ know? Sometimes I have way too much fun for my own good. :D

Spider I know your EPA stove gives ya fits, why not just donate it and we'll get the welder out to make you happy? :D

Man I love my EPA stove, second one (non cat) variety and once I learned how to burn them correctly I cut my wood consumption in half. I enjoy processing all that wood to a degree, but there's a shortage of cartilage in some pretty critical joint's these days.

Wow, that’s quite an assumption on your part. I know I can remove the brick from the bottom of mine (no longer needed with a grate) and easily build a grate that would not raise the fire one iota. The primary air feeds oxygen directly to the logs? How does it do that?

Look at your stove. Mine has an air inlet at the front. The air is piped in from the outside--under the house. If I accidently block that, the fire won't burn very well. The only grate is for cleaning ashes out, and is closed during burning.

Look at your stove. Mine has an air inlet at the front. The air is piped in from the outside--under the house. If I accidently block that, the fire won't burn very well. The only grate is for cleaning ashes out, and is closed during burning.

Having you outside air supply is a real good feature. I like you better all the time, P.

Why then, are they given a BTU output rating?

:D

Well... you do have to put some wood in it, then burn it, then calculate the various parameters.

BTU output is a result of the life cycle of the fire. For the EPA testing the heat output is low since its with cribbed softwood in small QTY. For the 'real' life BTU output rating we burn real cordwood.

For both test, you have to weight the wood, measure its moisture content and follow a lab protocol.

Again, the stove did not produce the BTU but the wood did. The bigger the stove, the more BTU output...

Exactly how much is “considerably” anyway?

Wood <5% Moisture Approx 8,600 BTU/Lbs
Wood <20% Moisture Approx 6,200 BTU/Lbs
Wood <50% Moisture Approx 4,000 BTU/Lbs

A BTU is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 pound of water by 1oF. Heat from one match stick is about one BTU.

I’m totally confused… #7 says if I modify my stove with a heat reclaiming device it won’t draft properly… and now you’re saying a stove doesn’t draft at all. Really, I’m totally confused.

You can search with Wikipedia for what draft is. Short answer: temperature differential between air molecules.

If you have a 100% efficient stove it means it means all the heat stays in the house and no natural draft can occur since there is no heat that can escape the flue.

The chimney is the engine that drives draft.

The purpose of the stove is to have a controlled combustion and exhaust unburned volatile gases and water vapour.

If you reclaim too much heat from your stove, there is very little heat in your chimney therefore a very weak draft.

Well... you do have to put some wood in it, then burn it, then calculate the various parameters.

BTU output is a result of the life cycle of the fire. For the EPA testing the heat output is low since its with cribbed softwood in small QTY. For the 'real' life BTU output rating we burn real cordwood.

For both test, you have to weight the wood, measure its moisture content and follow a lab protocol.

Again, the stove did not produce the BTU but the wood did. The bigger the stove, the more BTU output...

You may not have done it on purpose, but you started a fight. I hope you stay in it till the end. There will be good info in the insanity to come.

And we have another insurance expert. Funny thing, I’ve made several wood burning appliances from scratch (no UL certification at all), modified a few others, my insurance “guy” was fully aware… and I’ve always had insurance. How can that be?

What one does with his own stuff is entirely up to them... For my part, i'd rather play it safe.

Spider I know your EPA stove gives ya fits, why not just donate it and we'll get the welder out to make you happy? :D

Naw... I wouldn't call it "fits". It's gonna' keep us plenty warm enough, that much I can tell by the heat it cranks out when it gets up to temp.
I'm just gonna' haf'ta get used to a "different" routine, and get used to a couple things that are an inconvenience (in my opinion).

I'll tell ya' what... as much work as it was to get that thing moved into the basement, lined up with existing "stuff", set at the proper height, etc., etc., etc... well, I'll be workin' with it a bit before I throw in the towel. If push-comes-to-shove, I'll get the welder out this winter, start from scratch, and do another install next spring. I will say this, the wife likes to take the reflector off the door when she's down in my "man cave" with me (yeah, I let her down there once-in-a-while) and watch the fire... makes her kind'a in the snugly mood, if ya' get my meaning. And at our age, with kids still at home... If nothin' else, that's probably worth a couple inconveniences.

I will say this, the wife likes to take the reflector off the door when she's down in my "man cave" with me (yeah, I let her down there once-in-a-while) and watch the fire... makes her kind'a in the snugly mood, if ya' get my meaning. And at our age, with kids still at home... If nothin' else, that's probably worth a couple inconveniences.

You lettin' the cat out the bag now, man. Evr'y body gonna go get 'em a burner. Hehe.

There's a formula this gorilla can understand: Caveman + Cave Woman x Fire = proliferation of the Human race. I can dig it. Firing it up now, Family Style.

You can search with Wikipedia for what draft is. Short answer: temperature differential between air molecules.

If you have a 100% efficient stove it means it means all the heat stays in the house and no natural draft can occur since there is no heat that can escape the flue.

The chimney is the engine that drives draft.

The purpose of the stove is to have a controlled combustion and exhaust unburned volatile gases and water vapour.

If you reclaim too much heat from your stove, there is very little heat in your chimney therefore a very weak draft.

Uh, nonsense. It's not a TEMPERATURE difference, but a PRESSURE difference, caused by the difference between the weight of a fixed area column of gas in the flue and the same height & area column of ambient gas.

Y'er also crossed up on some non-zero moisture-content of wood being optimum. Not so. Less is more.

Latest posts

Back