Myths and facts of EPA Wood Burning Stoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get it. Heat from a non-epa stove feels different than heat from an epa stove? Heat is heat. They all throw it out.

You are correct. Wood burning produces 3 kind of heat: radiant, conductive and convective.

For all intent and purposes we refer mainly to radiant & convective. Radiant is infrared emissions. Unlike convective heat it does not heat ambient air but any surface it strikes. For example, when you come in the cold and let yourself warm in front of the fire you mainly feel radiant heat. It strikes your skin and penetrate deeper 'warming your bones'. That's one of the reason people like wood burning.

Convective heat is typically achieved with stove air shields, air mate (heat exchanger) and a blower and much like a furnace it heats ambient air.

It may be heresy on my part but I have a very inefficient fireplace. We also like the flames, crackle & pop of an open fire. Nothing better on a cold Saturday afternoon for taking a nap on the couch.

My very efficient EPA Osburn inserts downstairs heats the house while my inefficient fireplace upstairs provides entertainment value.

Last edited:
I sure would trade you!! I was born and raised in Montana (western side, Bozeman) and I sure wish I could go back in time and kick my butt for leaving. I would like to see Canada again someday, hopefully on my way to Alaska to live. Right now I am stuck in this corn-holer state, where I am about the only one who goes outside I swear. The rest sit inside watching the boob tube. What part of the backwoods redneck inbred Neb you visit?

Bozeman is where the Gibson Acoustic Guitars are made, now those are fine. Bozeman got a character all her own IMO. Must be low humidity, You can't make acoustics just anywhere. The finest, too. (And expensive.)

It seems I have this stove figuered out

It has a 8” deep box below the door, the full size of the stove, after this fills up with wood coals, I just keep feeding it with wood on top of the coals, it burns in a slow manner with no smoke. And gives out more then enough heat. Every so often, take the coal shovel, scoop out from under the coal remove the ash and it keeps going. Great stove :rock:

I have a question. You say your insurance company is OK with your wood stove, even though, to my understanding, that it has been heavily modified, or at least, slightly. How do you know this...Have you ever lost your house to a fire and had a modified or homemade stove installed in it? Did your insurance company pay to rebuild it?
I'm not saying that your set up isn't safe. I hope you have great success in your quest to a better heating device. After all, without experimentation or thinking outside of the box...what would anybody have today?
Please don't come down on someone for giving a simple reminder. Maybe we aren't all insurance experts, we're just looking out for one of our own. I hope that none of us ever has to find out how good there insurance company really is.

Well, I've said this before... Insurance companies are regulated by the state, and in some instances by local government.
The simple answer is... go ask your insurance agent; if there's any question, the company will send someone out to have a look at what you have.
Out here in the county where I live, it has to be negligence on my part before they can deny me coverage. As long as the install meets, or exceeds all local codes (such as clearances)... I'm good to go. Modification, or even homemade... as long as they had a look at it (they may require inspection by a third party, or they have the right to require it) and can't prove later negligence on my part... I'm covered. Heck, i can even do my own electrical and plumbing work.

Now if you live on one of the two left coasts, or east of the Mississippi, or west of the Continental Divide... you're probably screwed! (but, I'm just guessin', I don't know that as a fact 'cause I ain't an Insurance Expert)

Last edited:
The stove I have in my house is a wimpy 20 x14inches and heats my 1200 sqfoot house to 80 deg when its -20 outside. with its try to get 2 small split chunks of wood in it 1500 deg firebox.
Go ahead touch that box. burns 6 to 8 hours holds the coals another 12 or 14. ya my home is warm and I only use 2 cords of wood each year could be 3 on a bad year, but its not like sitting in front of a grand ol FIRE.
My dad grew up in the high plains of eastern Colorado. There was very little wood available for heating or cooking, so they gathered cow chips for fuel.

So I guess you could heat your home on bull####.

You are correct. Wood burning produces 3 kind of heat: radiant, conductive and convective.

For all intent and purposes we refer mainly to radiant & convective. Radiant is infrared emissions. Unlike convective heat it does not heat ambient air but any surface it strikes. For example, when you come in the cold and let yourself warm in front of the fire you mainly feel radiant heat. It strikes your skin and penetrate deeper 'warming your bones'. That's one of the reason people like wood burning.

Convective heat is typically achieved with stove air shields, air mate (heat exchanger) and a blower and much like a furnace it heats ambient air.

It may be heresy on my part but I have a very inefficient fireplace. We also like the flames, crackle & pop of an open fire. Nothing better on a cold Saturday afternoon for taking a nap on the couch.

My very efficient EPA Osburn inserts downstairs heats the house while my inefficient fireplace upstairs provides entertainment value.

Fyrebug, if i may ask, you represent several insert manufacturers, correct? My internet research leads me to believe the Osburn 2400 may be perfect for me, affordable, efficient, stylish, what can you tell me about my chosen model good or bad? Heating about 1600 sq. ft. upstairs only.

Fyrebug, if i may ask, you represent several insert manufacturers, correct? My internet research leads me to believe the Osburn 2400 may be perfect for me, affordable, efficient, stylish, what can you tell me about my chosen model good or bad? Heating about 1600 sq. ft. upstairs only.

Hi Rej, I dont represent different MFG. SBI makes 7 different brands, one of which is Osburn.

Osburn is our flagship line and we put the most quality/feature set in it. The 2400 is one of the biggest non-cat insert available on the market. So you want to make sure it will fit in your fireplace. It's a heating beast so I wouldn't worry about heating your area. As with most high-efficiency inserts, make sure to use a 6" stainless steel liner and it will provide you with years of use.

Were you thinking of getting it from a local dealer?

Well, I've said this before... Insurance companies are regulated by the state, and in some instances by local government.
The simple answer is... go ask your insurance agent; if there's any question, the company will send someone out to have a look at what you have.
Now if you live on one of the two left coasts, or east of the Mississippi, or west of the Continental Divide... you're probably screwed! (but, I'm just guessin', I don't know that as a fact 'cause I ain't an Insurance Expert)

My earlier comments on modifications and insurance is partly due to the fact i've never had a happy experience with insurance companies. If they can find a excuse for not covering a claim, they will do so.

Hi Rej, I dont represent different MFG. SBI makes 7 different brands, one of which is Osburn.

Osburn is our flagship line and we put the most quality/feature set in it. The 2400 is one of the biggest non-cat insert available on the market. So you want to make sure it will fit in your fireplace. It's a heating beast so I wouldn't worry about heating your area. As with most high-efficiency inserts, make sure to use a 6" stainless steel liner and it will provide you with years of use.

Were you thinking of getting it from a local dealer?

Found a place in OK, not exactly local, still researching.

Gassification is the coolest thing going. I wonder though whether the ROI makes it more novelty than reality.

I bought a gassification boiler. Absolutely the best money I've spent in a while. I use dry, I mean very dry wood (8% to 14%) and it burns clean. Because the wood is so dry I do have to be carefull not to load right up initially. Computer controlled, 1/2 load, light, and walk away. After first 5 minutes no smoke,none,nada.

Latest posts

Back