Myths and facts of EPA Wood Burning Stoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temp difference is press difference.

Ooo...Ooo...Oooo... I want in.

Not really. Warmer air expands causing it to expel some mass from the top of the flue... so less mass in the flue, less weight in the flue... less pressure in the flue.
But what if the height of the flue was infinite so the air could expand without losing mass... no matter how hot the air became the weight in the flue would remain constant... hence, no pressure change.
Temperature is the mechanize by which the flue loses pressure, but it isn't the pressure difference.

Just sayin'.

Why doe's warm air expand? Greater pressure. Is not air still air? only difference is temp, wich changes press. ( expands)

Naw... I wouldn't call it "fits". It's gonna' keep us plenty warm enough, that much I can tell by the heat it cranks out when it gets up to temp.
I'm just gonna' haf'ta get used to a "different" routine, and get used to a couple things that are an inconvenience (in my opinion).

They just don't burn like old school stoves, I had fits with mine until I got my head wrapped around how the air intakes supply the fuel, they definitely demand a little more tending to until things are up to temp and running right.

Hey if it comes to it and you feel like building a new one next year, you can always re-install that door for the Mrs!:msp_biggrin:

Air does not expand because of pressure, it expands because of temperature (inflicting artificial pressure will increase temperature, put that's not what we're talkin' about).
If a gas is a sealed container and the temperature increases, then pressure will increase due to the gas trying to expand.
If the container is not sealed the pressure is a direct result of the amount of mass remaining in the container and the force of gravity affecting it... less mass, less pressure.

Fyrebug

quote "Again, the stove did not produce the BTU but the wood did. The bigger the stove, the more BTU output"

Well no and yes.
Through a 6" chimney pipe this does not prove to be quite true.
You can only ask a 6" pipe to exaust some % more than a smaller stove can.
At some point a bigger rated stove just = more residue in the chimney.

A no brainer that 2 small stoves at 1/2 the btu rating of one big one are much more efficient cleaner better burning stoves than the big one.

JMO

Air does not expand because of pressure, it expands because of temperature (inflicting artificial pressure will increase temperature, put that's not what we're talkin' about).
If a gas is a sealed container and the temperature increases, then pressure will increase due to the gas trying to expand.
If the container is not sealed the pressure is a direct result of the amount of mass remaining in the container and the force of gravity affecting it... less mass, less pressure.

Your making my point. If you heat up anything it expands creating higher press. If something is wide open you can only acheive min press diff either neg or pos, for it is open the mass will disperse into the lower press area's.
I thought this was fyrebugs fight? I have had too many whisky's to fight. I give, and don't care.

Why then, are they given a BTU output rating?

Exactly how much is “considerably” anyway?

Is that with the stove set on high, low, or somewhere in between? Any wood? Any moisture content? Any size fuel load? Or just the wood and quantity they tested it with?

Hmmmm…… I would classify it as more like the engine the carburetor is bolted to.

It's cuz you pour your engine oil on your beautiful stacks!!!!

Hahah, just givin ya ####! Ur ok in my book!

Well, I didn't think of it as a fight...
But if'n you're gonna' have another whiskey... well then, I 'll have another also.
But I gotta' tell ya, my bottle is gettin' worrisome low.

Are you John Wayne? How come you talk like a cowboy? Aren't you from way up in the Nort? Hahaha. Foolin' We talk like cowboys too.

Ha, mine too,may have to dip into the tequila. Then I may be ready for a fight. And lose.

Fyrebug

quote "Again, the stove did not produce the BTU but the wood did. The bigger the stove, the more BTU output"

Well no and yes.

A no brainer that 2 small stoves at 1/2 the btu rating of one big one are much more efficient cleaner better burning stoves than the big one.

JMO

What's the science behind that??? All of our stoves and furnaces (big combustion chambers) exhaust on 6"... The Max Caddy is 85% efficient more than many of our smaller stoves... Juss saying.

Fyrebug

Well no and yes.

JMO

Not true. This depends on the efficeintcy of the stoves. My stove is very efficient like lets say 85%. Now if you have two smaller stoves that are not as efficient, lets say 20%, then the larger stove will be more efficient, by 65% versus the two smaller stoves. Now lets consider that a larger stove like mine can be loaded with lots of wood, then controlled and kept at a fuel efficient stage much longer then a smaller stove. Like a car with a 1 gallon gas tank is not going to be as efficient as the same car with a 25 gallon tank. You use more fuel on the initail start up, and getting it up to speed than you do driving down the highway. Same is true for a stove.

Good grief... it's a sad day when a bunch of guys are discussing burning firewood at 10PM when they could create their own heat with their lovely right about now...

If I had one of them I would be doing some "exercising" about now. However, alass, no such luck for me. Oh and its only 8:30 your clock must be broke!! lol

Latest posts

Back