Neal Murphy nmurph Saw Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmbrian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I felt it was finally time to write a review on the Husqvarna 346XP I recently purchased from Neal Murphy. He goes by nmurph on this site. I'll just say that it was, bar none, the WORST online purchasing decision and experience I've ever had.

I was recently in the market for a chainsaw and a lot of people talked highly of his work so I decided to purchase one of his saws. The first saw I received worked for a little while and then all of a sudden the side nuts rattled free from the saw, the side came off, and the chain flew off of the bar and back towards me. It then just hung there from the side of the saw. I was in a pile of tree rubble at the time and wasn't able to retrieve but one of the original nuts that came off. I went to the nearest Ace store and they gave me a new nut but apparently it wasn't the right size? Anyways, it ended up stripping the bolt that leads from the case so the nut could never be fastened all the way down.

I wrote the Neal about it and asked what we could do. Needless to say he was very quick to reply to me when he wanted to sell the saw but it was like pulling teeth to get him to return my emails once there was a problem. After lengthy discussions about what to do he asked me to mail it back to him and he'd take a look. After more pursuing him to actually communicate with me about what could or couldn't be done he decided to fix the saw and send it back. This actually entailed what amounted to a new case from what I understand. I told him all along I would assume partial responsibility if there was anything I may have done to ruin it. He just said he'd fix it and mail it back which he did.

The new saw ran flawlessly for about 10-15 hours and then, as I was simply chunking up a tree, it just stopped. I tried to restart it a few times and nothing happened. All I had done at this point is put fresh gas and bar oil in it. I was, of course, a bit disillusioned that this saw was having issues so I decided to take it back to the saw shop here in town before I wrote Neal about what the problem might be. I figured if it was something simple I'd just have it fixed and move on. The saw shop told me the piston and cylinder were shot along with the clutch. Here are the last two emails Neal and I then exchanged. I wrote him and asked:

Hey Neal

I had the saw out 6-7 times and it was working like a champ and then all of sudden it just stopped as I was chunking up a tree. I tried to restart it and it wouldn't start up again. I thought maybe it was just hot or something so I quit for the day. Later that night I tried again and still nothing. I tried new fuel, a new spark plug, etc and it wouldn't start up so I took it back to the chainsaw shop to see if they could figure it out.

They tell me the piston is scored and the clutch is gone. The repairs and labor are going to be $340 if I have them do it. I really don't know how to proceed from here. I thought it was all good to go after having it out 3-4 times without any problems but this is obviously some kind of internal issue. I've done nothing more than change fuel, bar oil, and clean and sharpen the chain areas so how any of this new stuff happened is beyond me. How do want to proceed from here?

I wrote him the above email, he didn't answer so a day or two later, as had been the scenario since the problems first began, I sent it to him again. He then answered me with this:

I'm sorry, but I don't have any culpaility in this situation. You bought a used saw, which by your own admission performed without a problem for multiple times in the woods.

Regards,
Neal

So he basically washed his hands of the problem and said "Too bad....so sad."

At that point I was curious to know exactly what happened so I took the saw to yet another saw shop here in town and asked them if they could break it down for me. They tore it apart and this is what they found. I've attached pictures so you can see what happened.

Apparently a clip on the piston head broke, fell off into the cylinder, and was ground between the piston and the cylinder wall in effect destroying the saw. I asked if there was something I could have done to cause this issue and the repair guy said "No way. This is caused by either a faulty clip or improper installation of the clip."

I know you guys speak highly of him but I think others need to know what happens when things don't work so well with Neal. He was quick to reply before I bought the saw but when the issues hit I literally had to treat him like an 8 year old just to get him to reply to my emails in a timely manner. He just simply wanted to ignore the problem in the hopes I'd stop writing to him about it.

So here I am stuck, after mailing it back and forth and buying new chains and a larger bar, with a $450 paper weight. Neal won't do anything about it even though the issue was completely HIS doing. He either used a faulty clip or installed in incorrectly and has now just walked away from the problem with my money and couldn't care less about it now. This speaks volumes to his character and integrity as a businessman. I was forced to go out and buy yet another chainsaw to do my work on our land. I was able to pick up a used MS310 for $250 and it's been a champ for the past 30-40 hours I've put on it. No problems whatsoever. Don't risk buying a saw from him. It's just not worth it in the long run.

So buyer beware. If you buy a saw from him pray there isn't any problems. If there are he'll simply pocket your money, claim it's not his problem, and leave you with nothing.

For the other guys on the site. Is this worth fixing? The local shops want $340ish to do the work but I can almost get a brand new saw for that. Doesn't seem worth it. Should I venture on my own and try to repair the saw myself?

I'm really thankful that I didn't sell a chainsaw to you . . . .

My experiences with Neal have been excellent.

Your cylinder looks salvageable to me. There's some marks but they are below the upper transfer ports.

A new piston and you would be back in business. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Neal is very well thought of on this site. Are you sure there's not more to the story?

first of all this is a BS thread,,, we all know the he would take care of a problem if it was his fault,, a bar nut coming off and you blame him for it???? BS,, that is operator error then the 2nd one you said you ran it for 10-15 hours with no problem and then it croaked?? that sounds to me like operator error too,, you bought a used saw,, so its a used saw,,, there is no new saw warrenty,,, we all buy used saws with no warrenties,, thats just the way it is,,,, especially since you used it for 10-15 hours worth of cutting,, sounds like you need to learn how to take care of your equipment,,,this is just my 2 cents which means nothing

i just looked at the pics,,, you said it was because of the clips coming out caused the damage,, looks to me both clips are in the piston

I dont know him, but you knew what you were buying when you bought a USED saw. You shouldnt have been a cheap ass, and just bought a new saw if you wanted a warrentee.

He already fixxed the saw the first time. By the way, you should have made sure your bar nuts were tight before running the saw. And you also FORCED the nut on enough to cross thread it. Maybe you shouldnt own a power saw!

To me it seems he went out of his way for you, you should be greatful.

If I read correctly, You ran the bar nuts so loose on the first saw that they literally CAME OFF. Is That Correct?

THEN you tried to install a 'hardware store' nut that Didn't Fit, resulting in a stripped bar stud?

And nmurph took care of that problem, but you're unhappy with the results, because the fixed saw blew up?

Am I reading correctly so far?

If one does not tighten and or check the tightness of the bar nuts, that is 100 % user error, plain and simple.

The bar nuts would come loose and fall off a $50 used or a $1000 brand new if they are tightened correctly.

That is the end user's responsibility all day long.

Not what I expected to read. Was the first saw delivered with the bar and chain attached?

i just looked at the pics,,, you said it was because of the clips coming out caused the damage,, looks to me both clips are in the piston

You can see the side with the scoring, 1/2 the clip is missing.

That cylinder is salvageable since the damage is below the ports. A new piston will get you back going. That clip breaking and the rest staying in is just bad luck.

I told the guy to send me the saw and I'll fix it. 100.00 problem solved......this bull#### goes away. I hate threads like this......I'd rather fight with Bradly. :laugh:

You can see the side with the scoring, 1/2 the clip is missing.

i stand corrected,,, i apologize,,, my reading glasses are dirty,, i hate getting old :bang::bang::bang:,, i see half the clip is missing now,,, but still,, sh** happens,, put a new piston in and go on

I told the guy to send me the saw and I'll fix it. 100.00 problem solved......this bull#### goes away. I hate threads like this......I'd rather fight with Bradly. :laugh:

or dss,,duh,,terry etc,,etc,,etc :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Threads like this are why I'm glad my county doesn't do "public" divorce court anymore. They did away with divorce court in the literal sense back in the early 80's.

Back in the olden days here, a couple would have to go before a justice of the peace, and there would be a comment period from family and friends.
That way people could say "Yes your honor, I did see so-and-so beating his wife" or "Yes your honor, I did see Miss ***** at the tavern in the company
of another gentleman." Most of those proceedings would turn into a train wreck, like this thread is going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back