Need a 50cc or 60cc pro saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of great 50 and 60cc saws. Echo will be coming out with a 501p in the US soon and it is a really neat 50cc saw. Husky 545 and 555 is overlooked to often for the 550 and 562. Dolmar has some great saws. But in reality you 590 has the 60cc covered I would look towards a lighter 40-50 cc saw. Dolmar 421, echo 501p, dolmar 5105 husky 545. See if you can go test some out at local dealers. Any of those saws should last you years and be able to handle tons of work. Just make sure you have a check list of needs like AV, inboard clutch for easier chain swaps ect.
So far I just buy saw and work. None of guys I work with do any side work or seem to have interest. Would like to have 590 modified. I'm single father who works or has 1yr daughter everyday.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Muffler mod your saw and it will run with/close to any of the top 60 cc saws.

If you still want a second saw I'd then go for a 50 cc so you have a lighter limbing saw. 545/550 would be my first choice only because the 261 version 2 costs more.

??? Is changing a chain on a saw with outboard clutch difficult for some folks?
So if money wasn't a factor the 261 would be 1st Choice?

It would have to be the newest 2016 version. The "old" version is not anything special.

Another option would be the Husqvarna 550 or it's jonsered counterpart.

You want the one with this clutch cover.

2-L.jpg

Just stick it into larger hardwood with a >20 inch bar, then the difference will quickly become clearer...

Ran a 360 and a 440 for years. Couldn't stand the balance of a 360 with a 20inch bar and the power was not that impressive. 440 was a much better saw for balance and power.

I'd have to run them head to head. Going off what a few knowledgeable folk around here say, the new 261 is one hell of a saw.

I'm still pondering a 241 as my first Stihl purchase (I did inherit a Stihl leaf blower, it was a great unit). I just have trouble paying full list price for Stihl when such great deals are available on Husky-a new 241 will cost me more than my 550 did.

None of saws I own except are saws I set out to buy. Timberwolf was just great buy. Others I ve bought of websites like offers.com and find half of retail price or better. Just no 261 or husky pro's on it.

There's a reason you won't find pro saws on there.......you get what you pay for.....

I m single father who is working if not with my daughter at all times. Where can I look for someone who does this work on saws if I cant?

The porting is a different animal. Unless you want a new time consuming hobby, you'd be best off to send the saw off to a precessional. It usually takes a week or three to get it back, so have your backup saws ready to go.

The muffler mod and limiter removal is something you can do. In fact, you can do it faster than you could find someone to do it for you and drive it over to them. It's very simple stuff. A few minutes of research here will get you started. The job itself will take 30 minutes tops.

I'd have to run them head to head. Going off what a few knowledgeable folk around here say, the new 261 is one hell of a saw.

I'm still pondering a 241 as my first Stihl purchase (I did inherit a Stihl leaf blower, it was a great unit). I just have trouble paying full list price for Stihl when such great deals are available on Husky-a new 241 will cost me more than my 550 did.
A ported 241 is very impressive!

Look at the prices and for Stihl and Husky and then read up on a 6100 makita/Dolmar. Bang for the buck they are the best saw you can buy. They rival the class leading husky 562 and are the same price for a 10cc small Stihl. Read the online reviews they are pro quality and big power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have nothing to compare it to, but I love my Makita 6100, bought with advice from this forum.

Look at the prices and for Stihl and Husky and then read up on a 6100 makita/Dolmar. Bang for the buck they are the best saw you can buy. They rival the class leading husky 562 and are the same price for a 10cc small Stihl. Read the online reviews they are pro quality and big power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll vouch for that also! No regrets in buying one instead of a new 560xpg.

Lähetetty minun Nexus 9 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Lots of great 50 and 60cc saws. Echo will be coming out with a 501p in the US soon and it is a really neat 50cc saw. Husky 545 and 555 is overlooked to often for the 550 and 562. Dolmar has some great saws. But in reality you 590 has the 60cc covered I would look towards a lighter 40-50 cc saw. Dolmar 421, echo 501p, dolmar 5105 husky 545. See if you can go test some out at local dealers. Any of those saws should last you years and be able to handle tons of work. Just make sure you have a check list of needs like AV, inboard clutch for easier chain swaps ect.

Can you compare and contrast this new saw with the old? Have they improved the quality; specifically what did they improve? Is the 501sx the same saw? I watched a video of it and it seemed to lag behind the Husky.

Are they replacing/improving the 60cc saws as well? I'd be interested in the 60cc if they're closer to Stihl quality now.

Can you compare and contrast this new saw with the old? Have they improved the quality; specifically what did they improve? Is the 501sx the same saw? I watched a video of it and it seemed to lag behind the Husky.

Are they replacing/improving the 60cc saws as well? I'd be interested in the 60cc if they're closer to Stihl quality now.

501, has a all new cylinder/piston everything else Is pretty much the same as the 490/500. They did shave a bit of weight off too.

590's port pretty well.

Agreed.
And yes it is. I have guys come into the shop and pay me $5.00 just to swap their chain. It is ridiculous and I walk them through it every time but every week they come back. One is our city water department another is a large electrician company. So hands on guys. But hey 5 bucks for 2 min at most. That is good pay, so I should love outboard clutches I
So far I just buy saw and work. None of guys I work with do any side work or seem to have interest. Would like to have 590 modified. I'm single father who works or has 1yr daughter everyday.

you can muff mod your 590 and remove caps while the baby sleeps in no time. Basic tools needed. Tuning is simple but do it at work.

Back