Need a bit of feedback....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking at a used truck and don't know a lot ....
Would like some quick feedback from you folks who are in the know.....
89 Ford 450 Super Duty 178k (shows 78 but Im assuming)
Overall good appearance
New clutch
New tires
12' electric dump
$4900.....initial thoughts....good bad or ugly?

Get someone who knows a lot to to look at it with you. What motor? Can't tell ya if it's any good without looking at it in person.

I'm thinking it would be helpful to know what engine. A 1989 should have either a 7.3 diesel or a 460.

I do understand...inflation is a killer...My last ride was only 2k and I've only got 10 years out of it..... of course my tractor was 2k and that was 28 years ago. Never considered using them for parts, but I guess it would be a future consideration.:):)
Thanks for your input

BTW.....I hate everybody can't live in NC ,but I thank the Lord I do!! :dancing::dancing:

So you want to buy a $5,000 truck? Really?,,,
In my opinion, a $5,000 truck is bought as a parts truck. But I do not live in NC,,,,,,,,lol,
Jeff :)

Everybody has to start somewhere. I shudder when I remember my first truck, but it got my foot in the door even though it cost me more to keep it on the road that first year than a much better used truck would have cost! The two happiest days of owning that truck were the day i bought it and the day I sold it.

i have run both the 460 likes to eat starters by the week if you dont put a gear reduction one on it. they are 50 dollars on the net.
they get the same mileage but here gas is considerably cheaper at the pump
if your capable of fixing on your own buy one to get started
if you cant swap starters or work on glow plugs you will get frustrated with the fixing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For that price, if that's what will work for what you need it to do (which it must be a good fit or you wouldn't be considering it) I'd say grab it up.

Any square body truck with a big block and a 4 speed will make a great first chip truck. They are cheap, simple and reliable. Old Fords are as tough as trucks come and I've had ALOT of 70's and 80's trucks. Personally I'd rather have a 460 then a 7.3 from that era. Those naturally aspirated diesels were reliable engines but don't pull any harder then a big block does. The F450 or F Superduty as they called them is really no different from a cab and chassis F350 besides that you won't find them 4x4. The pickup frames are smaller then can and chassis frames.

I'd buy it. You need to start somewhere and you probably won't find another one with 78k actual miles for any less money.

Years ago, I had a 1985 Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 with a flatbed/5th wheel hitch and a 351 under the hood. I used it to pull my log trailer. I never was able to load so much wood on that trailer that the truck couldn't pull it. I remember one time....one of my guys ran the chip truck out of gas on a gravel road outside of town. It was a huge, heavy 1979 Ford dump truck, completely full of chips, pulling a very heavy chipper. He didn't realize it was out of gas and thought he was broke down (don't ask me why...who knows?) so I drove out there in my 85, hooked to it and pulled it down the road to a place we could check it out.....never even spun a tire or put it into 4low. That was a load!

IMG_2630.jpg IMG_2631.jpg IMG_2633.jpg IMG_2661.jpg IMG_2662.jpg IMG_2664.jpg IMG_2666.jpg Thank you for your replies. Went to drive the truck today and there was no tag. Going to get with owner tomorrow and try again. I really appreciate your input. Learned a long time ago it's to get as much info as possible and then sort through and make a decision. Probably going to be hitting you folks up a lot more in the future. I could of retired a couple of years ago but was not inclined to in anyway. Now I'm thinking about it more and more. Starting to try to gather retirement toys. This truck, if I get it, will be another one of those retirement toys.

Latest posts

Back