Need a chainsaw for downed trees on my property

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godzillamax

Reaction score
I just bought a home on some acreage in western WI and need a chainsaw for taking care of the downed trees on my land. At most I will probably need to cut 4-8 downed trees per year. Most of the trees on my land are 6"-12" poplar or birch, with some oak or maples that can be a larger in diameter. While I would love the quality of a professional grade power saw, they are probably more saw than I need and are also out of my price range. I was hoping to spend between $300-$400.

I've narrowed it down to the Stihl MS290 farm boss with an 18" bar, or a Husqvarna 450 with a 20" bar. I can get the Farm Boss in a 20" bar for about $10 more than the 18" bar. Both are priced about the same, $399.

I'm looking for feedback to help me make a decision.

Thanks!

Look for a used pro saw. You will find nice 026s 034s and 036s in that price range and be a lot happier. If you are near Augusta there is a guy there that will be able to set you up with what you need.

as larry said, if you have a tractor supply by, look at the jonsered. you can the the 2255 for $399 and its a great saw. if no tractor supply, then i personally would go with the stihl ms290

Go out a buy a bunch of saws, you are going to anyway, sooner or later, then you can pick and choose. For that size wood I would grab my Echo CS400, all the same features as the Husky plus better air filter and adjustable oilier. I would also grab a Poulan 3400 that I picked up for $40 at a pawn shop and put in $5 worth of fuel line and fuel filter. I might even use my Stihl MS 260 pro, do you see where I am going with the multiple saw route.

Good luck and enjoy your new, or used saws.

I've narrowed it down to the Stihl MS290 farm boss with an 18" bar, or a Husqvarna 450 with a 20" bar. I can get the Farm Boss in a 20" bar for about $10 more than the 18" bar. Both are priced about the same, $399.

Thanks!

If you have a Husky Dealer who will stand behind the saw in case of parts or repair, go with it. Otherwise get the Stihl from a well established dealer. It's a saw that will take abuse like a Timex watch.

Don't fall for the big long bar stuff, a 16 to 18" bar will still cut that occasional tree that's 28" across. Shorter bars handle better and are easier on the saw.

Keep your chains sharp, your mix fresh and your filters clean. Also budget $80 for a pair of chaps, they are far cheaper and less painful than a hospital visit.

Welcome to A.S.!

As noted, don't fall for the 'longer bar is better' thing. The bar and chain should be 'matched' to the saw. A good dealer can help you with this.

+1 on the chaps. Also get one of those hard hat/face shield/ear muff things.

Also, Dolmars are pretty popular in your area - might want to check out those dealers too, and see which saws and which dealers 'feel right'.

Philbert

Check VMInnovations dot com for refurb chainsaws. Good prices on Husqy 455r and 435, PP4218. Forget the "Homelites"- delicate junk, nothing like the real homies.

Some folks really push the "go with a good dealer" thing; serious waste of money IMHO. Learn the basics, including how to use Granberg filing guide, and save yourself a fortune long-term. Good hourly rate for your efforts.

If you want something done right, do it yourself. (Don't remember who said that.)

Seriously, most (not all) dealers look first to the bottom line; if you find one whose focus is on serving the customer, help keep him/her in business. Good luck with that.

If you have dolmar close by seriously think about the 420/421!!! Built like a pro saw and totally sufficient for your needs described.

And I see dealer support as important for you! You obviously have no idea and a quick introduction is worth a lot. Then I have had very good experience by my dealers who I get stuff from although I haven't bought a saw from them.
Think about Stihl chain for whatever saw you get. Available for all chainsaw manufacturers.

Um.... Ex Rental Makita 6401 can be had for $200-300 from Home Depot. 64cc pro saw that has claim to alot of bragging rights.

You hear HomeliteJim mention his Echo CS400 occasionally. With the allotted budget and the kind of work your doing that's what I'd buy. If someone has a saw this smooth in the price point, let's have a look. Heck. I wanna see any saw that idles as good as Jim's.

[video=youtube;tkUWD6nrGws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkUWD6nrGws[/video]

Not only idle smooth they are as powerful as any in its class. Here is a video I shot last year firewood cutting, I use the Echo for limning duty but cut some rounds for the camera, I can stall it out when buried but I am a 260 lb gorilla and can stall out my 5 cubic inch CP70.

[video=youtube;qGSmofO_FQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSmofO_FQY[/video]

I would've thought the 450 should be less money than the 290. The 290 should compare more to a 455 or husky460. If they really are the same price, you would be getting a more powerful (and HEAVIER) saw in the 290.

For a few dollars more...
You could get a saw with much better construction in a husqvarna 545, only modestly above your target price.

This is really not a lot of cutting. 4-8 trees, 6-12" in diameter? A refurb 435 would cost about $180, and would be much more saw than you need for this amount of cutting. People will talk about the "small clutch", but how much clutch do you really need for at max eight 12" trees a year? A decent bow saw would handle a sub-foot tree every 2 months. The safety margin will also be much better with a small saw with a short bar. Stay safe

I just bought a home on some acreage in western WI and need a chainsaw for taking care of the downed trees on my land. At most I will probably need to cut 4-8 downed trees per year. Most of the trees on my land are 6"-12" poplar or birch, with some oak or maples that can be a larger in diameter. While I would love the quality of a professional grade power saw, they are probably more saw than I need and are also out of my price range. I was hoping to spend between $300-$400.

Thanks!

I'd go with that Echo seeings how spending $300 to $400 on a Stihl or a Husky just seems like such a waste for the quanity of small diameter trees. If your going to be harvesting firewwood off this property that would be a different story but it sounds more like a seasonal clean-up

Latest posts

Back