Need a felling Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl and Husqvarna power specs are pretty darn accurate. You can tell by running the different saws that what they say for power translates to what one would expect in the wood. /QUOTE]

yes, and as our favorite Nord points out, there are independent, european, test labs, that have substatiated the numbers. most of those from H, S and D are pretty much dead-on. some claim that those numbers can't be trusted; that they lack credibility. if the labs are inflating the values, wouldn't you want your OPE to be tested and have an inflated number attached to it? i think the reason that echo doesn't submit to testing is, in-fact, the poor
P2W ratio of their US equipment. i am not blasting echo. i own an echo edger and it is a great little tool. i am sure their saws are very durable and perform adequately for a majority of people who buy one. but i don't think their performance is on par with S, H, D when it comes to power.

I own Stihl, Husky, Echo, Efco, Dolmar, Solo and Shindaiwa saws and know first hand how they peform. When tuned right with a good chain Echo doesn't take a back seat to any of them, no matter what the numbers do or don't say. If these numbers are to be trusted explain why the 3.2 hp 260 and the 3.8 hp 290 cut at about the same speed. This world is corrupt and big hp numbers on the 290 sells saws for Stihl, most likely thier highest profit saw. Same thing over in the snowmobile world, Polaris is alway rated No 1 with the most power yet out in the snow thier looking at my SKI Doo tail lights. Polaris used to have 70% of the snowmobile market , now after putting out low quality junk they're down to less than 20%. Stihl has been doing the same except for thier Pro saws which are just fine. There's a long list of companys doing the same thing, why bother buying a good brand name any more when the most of them have cheapened up thier products and sent it over to China. Steve

Last edited:
I don't think anything you buy will be bad. You are cutting what, 20" trees? called it "Felling"?

Nuf said. Just buy a saw and don't cut yourself.

Complete your Echo line up. You could be the first guy on AS to have the whole current line up! :greenchainsaw:

:hmm3grin2orange:

I just read the entire thread. What the F*** is wrong with people?

That is a good question.

You (THE ORIGINAL POSTER) RUN a lawn care business and need to have a saw to "fell" some trees. since I don't think you are talking about using a bucket truck, or a skidder, I figure you must mean some celan ups, and occasional clearing and whatnot.

The reason I said, you RUN a lawn care business, it is implying that you have employees, and therefore won't be the one always running the saws.

I would get a saw from a local dealer, one that doesn't cost much at all, and take all of the money you saved, and buy a whole bunch o' chains. Cheap ones too, don't get good chains, just sharp ones. Semi-Chisel, safety chains, razor sharp, that's about it.

Get the Echo, I like the Efco idea, they are strudy, but not as common. I work on a lot of saws, and I will tell you that most of the smaller lawn guys who have employees that use their stuff run Stihl 290's, Husky 455's, and some Echo's. The reason??? They are nearly disposable, chains can be bought at Home Depot, and most of the saws other than the Stihl can be charged on a Store Card from the big stores when money gets tight.

The advice given in this thread was truly great, and I really think you are possibly the biggest bag of douche I have ever come across on this forum. I have met some of the nicest people in my life right here on AS, but you sir are not nice.

Good luck with your search, no I really mean it.

That is a good question.

You (THE ORIGINAL POSTER) RUN a lawn care business and need to have a saw to "fell" some trees. since I don't think you are talking about using a bucket truck, or a skidder, I figure you must mean some celan ups, and occasional clearing and whatnot.

The reason I said, you RUN a lawn care business, it is implying that you have employees, and therefore won't be the one always running the saws.

I would get a saw from a local dealer, one that doesn't cost much at all, and take all of the money you saved, and buy a whole bunch o' chains. Cheap ones too, don't get good chains, just sharp ones. Semi-Chisel, safety chains, razor sharp, that's about it.

Get the Echo, I like the Efco idea, they are strudy, but not as common. I work on a lot of saws, and I will tell you that most of the smaller lawn guys who have employees that use their stuff run Stihl 290's, Husky 455's, and some Echo's. The reason??? They are nearly disposable, chains can be bought at Home Depot, and most of the saws other than the Stihl can be charged on a Store Card from the big stores when money gets tight.

The advice given in this thread was truly great, and I really think you are possibly the biggest bag of douche I have ever come across on this forum. I have met some of the nicest people in my life right here on AS, but you sir are not nice.

Good luck with your search, no I really mean it.

Its actually just me and my girlfriend in the business. As i can easily handle the jobs, so why hire more people that may tear up my equipment. Thanks for the douche comment as well ill take it with a grain of salt from you. But thanks for the honest info, i still really havent made my mind up on what im going to be getting.

Last edited:
Its actually just me and my girlfriend in the business. As i can easily handle the jobs, so why hire more people that may tear up my equipment. Thanks for the douche comment as well ill take it with a grain of salt from you. But thanks for the honest info, i still really havent made my mind up on what im going to be getting.

You are so rude, condescending, and beligerant that I predict your business will be arse up within two years. If you talk to people that are offering you help like this then how do you treat your customers?

You are so rude, condescending, and beligerant that I predict your business will be arse up within two years. If you talk to people that are offering you help like this then how do you treat your customers?
If they smart mouth me i usually bid really high but do a terrible job. It just depends on their character whether i rip them off or not.

Wow...

I gotta tell you that I really hope you buy something other than an echo. I have them and run them and would be more than happy to recomend them to anyone other than you...you are rude and I believe that you are just looking for a fight. You asked for advise...they gave you their advice...advice is one mans opinion, if you don't want it don't take it...My advice is buy a craftsman saw probably 30-40 cc and fit it with a 28" to 30" bar and have a ball... all the other opinions that made sense to me didn't seem to fit you so let's try another approach. What ever you do do not buy an echo, those of us that are happy with them will be grateful. Just saying...

the way i look at it and this is just me personally. why spend 1000.00 on a stihl when i can spend 500.00 on an echo to do the same amount of work. i mean that is a no brainer. i really think it is a status symbal to own stihls. same as all the rich people buying hummers,,caddys, and million dollar homes.

On the status symbol comment...that's BS. For those of us who aren't loggers or firewood dealers, we just cut for our own heat and clean up after the storms and what not, a lot of us go with what works and what we know. I have an 031AV in my garage that's been handed down now to the third generation. Stihl stopped making that saw the year I was born and it still cuts wood. That saw with a 16" bar cut 7-8 cords of wood/year in Minnesota to heat the house. It's what my dad had and it got the job done. Were there better or more powerful tools that would have done it faster? Probably, but if you can get the job done without spending the extra money when the purpose of burning wood is to save on the electric, oil, or propane bill, why spend more?

I've looked for used Husky's, never seen a Dolmar dealer around and the shops selling Echo are hardware stores, not saw/small engine equipment dealers.

I happen to get deals on the used Stihls I own and I work with one shop for one brand of saw for convenience.

There might be better models from other brands in the class of saws I have, but what I have gets the job done.

I think a lot of people get all pissed off because of generalized sweeping comments.

Will other brands get the job done? Sure, or they wouldn't be in business because no one would buy their products, like GM, except when they get a government bailout (that's another story). However, hard to argue that Husky and Stihl still get the best money when it comes to resale and are among the best for parts availability.

When it comes down to it, who freaking cares? It's not your money the other guy is spending. Make your suggestion and let that be the end of it. I see this all the time between Glock and XD owners, both getting butthurt when someone doesn't choose their brand. Grab sack and don't let someone piss on your ego because they bought a brand you didn't recommend.

I'm getting off my soap box now.

[/rant]

I gotta ask, what happened to the welding job listed in your profile? Where does that fit in with your girlfriend and lawn care?

I gotta ask, what happened to the welding job listed in your profile? Where does that fit in with your girlfriend and lawn care?
Well i work during the week as a welder, then on weekends i mow grass with my gf. Just a little extra money thing. If it turns into something big ill keep doin it.

Hi Clay
l_1ad0eadac8ac4e0aa012ddf38d5f7927.jpg

Latest posts

Back