Need a homeowner saw to replace my junk....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cartman308

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know the question has been asked a thousand times and the frequent posters will roll their eyes but I'm asking anyway.

I have a Snapper+ with 18" bar (nothing more than a red Poulan). Last weekend we had to cut down a sugar maple in my father in laws front yard. Lots of tying off and several guys lulling limbs away from the house. There were five gas saws there. Two pollens and three homlites. All five saws acted up and would. Reliably run....... Made for a very long and tiring day. The tree was topped out with an old electric Remington......

This lead me to look for another saw. The two brands I'm was considering are Stihl and Husqvarna. Stihl is out because the prices are out of budget. I want at least a 18 inch bar and enough saw to pull it.

I've ran across the factory refub husky saws on eBay and was intrigued. Researched them and found my way here. Searches lead me to a member that sells them but I have yet to receive a price quote on them.

The saw I'm looking at is the 445 refurb. From what I read most of the refurbs are returned units from Lowes and can barely be picked from a new saw.

Has anyone used one? I don't mind a little tweaking to get them to run right. I just want something hat will be more reliable than the junk I have.

The saw won't see heavy use so a pro model is not needed. Just the occasional downed tree and family duties :)

Thanks for any help.

Before I'm told I need to support a local dealer that would be fine if my income hasn't dropped substantially. I'm like most people and live paycheck to paycheck so a local dealer that wants $500 for something o can get much cheaper (and I can afford) online is simply going to mis out. I can maintain my equipment myself. Sorry is this sounds rude.

Have you looked at local classifieds like craigslist. AS has a lot of good used saws in the classifieds. Refurb saws can be a gamble.

I've lookedthrough the classifieds and didn't turn up anything promising locally. I'll keep an eye out.

I'll also research echo. 5 year warranty sounds inciting ;)

I've lookedthrough the classifieds and didn't turn up anything promising locally. I'll keep an eye out.

I'll also research echo. 5 year warranty sounds inciting ;)

Craigslist and ebay has some, and yes people have had bad luck with both but they also never start a thread about the saws they have bought on there and didn't have any problems with.

You really can't go wrong with something like a husky 350 off ebay. It is the first saw I got when I was in your position and mine is 12 years old and was abused by the original owner, but still will not quit. There are a lot of mixed reviews about them on here but it is a great saw in my opinion especially for the money. I got mine for $150 and I would say you could get one cheaper than this on ebay. It is now my lowner saw but I have no worries cause if it comes back toasted I can make a 346xp out of it :msp_sneaky:Good luck man!

As far as prices go, if you can afford a Husqvarna 445 at $300 retail, the equivalent Stihl is also $300.

I have found that my local dealer will bargain a little on the price of a new saw. They know you need oil for both the bar and for the fuel. not to mention you will go to the dealer for service work and other accessories.

I would recommend a used saw. Something in the 50+ CC range will pull a 18 bar better than 45 cc.

If you can not buy used save the pennies and wait a couple months to get the saw you need/want rather than buying now and having to settle for a smaller saw. This is what I did and am very happy with the MS 441 I saved up for. I am not recommending the MS 441.

In your case a MS 290 or Husqvarna 455 rancher would be great saws at the $400 price point.

Last edited:
IMHO buy the biggest saw you can find/afford.
This is no replacement for displacement.
Also IMHO, if you buy a bigger saw the bigger wood will come.
I prefer Huskys, but there are alot of Stihl fans here.
I would get a used pro saw, the classifieds here are great.
Watch some of these threads about guys that stumble upon a whole truckload of saws they may be open to sell one of them.

Good Luck!

The Husqvarna 455 Rancher and Stihl MS290 are equal saws in weight and performance. Check Craigslist and you can easily snatch either for around $200. Both are great saws and have plenty of power to pull 20" bars all day long.

Like some others have mentioned....check out Efco..they are top notch just like stihl and husky and dolmar/makita and come with a 5 yr warranty. As far as an efco 152 is concerned...it will smoke a husky 345/350/445/450/455 models and the stihl 029 farm boss or equivalent performance wise. I consider it a poor mans high performance saw! Performance wise its equivalent to a husky 346xp pro model and weighs about the same to 11.4 lbs. I use mine with 16" 18" 20" .325 bars with no problems. It can also pull pull 3/8 pitch chain a little bit better than husky 346 because it has what they are calling linear torque.....high torque at low throttle for finesse cutting or to get that last little bit carefully with out getting your chain in the dirt...others you more less have to go full throttle 100% of the time. Chainsawr World's largest inventory of Chainsaw Parts is the cheapest priced efco dealer. $365 plus free shipping for an efco 152 w/5yr warranty. Also you dont need a local dealer...you can get parts online at many places. Baileysonline.com and the above mentioned place are both AS sponsors. Also the US distributor is wooster power equipment in wooster ohio....they will also sell online.

If you are mechanically inclined at all, the older Husky 50/51/55 series were very popular and very dependapble. Go local with Craigslist first, you can then see it, do compression test etc (vacuum test if you are really over the top on your pre-buy inspection).
Pulls 18" well enough for your listed duty and has a magnesium case.
From my signature, you might notice that I am slightly biased however.

Don't forget pawn shops, just remember to talk down the price as mark up on a saw is about 70%. You will get more bang for your buck with a used saw.

There is a good looking Makita 540 on the clasifieds here for $170

http://www.arboristsite.com/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=603

I would be on that like white on rice.....if I needed a saw of that size.:msp_scared:
Nice find Stephen for the OP!!!....rep sent

You got to be nuts if you don't buy this saw!!!

Seller....(nmurph)....is SUPER respected member of the AS site!!
No way he would screw you over!!!....
This saw is just right for what you are looking for...
Quality saw at a very good price...
Saw has 150+ lb. compression...clean...no breaks...and price is right...
$170 + shipping. I don't see how you could do better.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I found a husky 350 on ebay that was less than 2 years old and locked up from being straight gased, let the neighbor borrow it. When I got it it wasnt all that bad. The cylinder cleaned up nice and I put a new piston and rings in it. Moddied the cyclinder some on the exhaust side and the muffler some. With the new piston, rings and saw I have less that $140 bucks in it and it will rip thru some wood. Sometimes I guess you can get lucky and get something good on ebay.

Latest posts

Back