Need a homeowner saw to replace my junk....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think the 445 would be a great saw for the occasional user. I run a J-Red 2150 pretty close to the same saw only 5 cc bigger. Its never missed a beat and is pretty much my go to saw. The Husky 350/450 are dead on reliable.

My problem with 54 to 59 cc saws is they don't run all that much better than a 50cc saw, but they are almost just as heavy as a 65cc saw and only a little bit cheaper.

If you are looking for bargains, go for a better grade 40cc saw. Keep the chain sharp and tuned well, and for an occasional user, I would think you'll be real happy. I have a 40cc Ryobi and have buried the 18 inch bar just to see how it would handle it. I will say it won't win a race, but It wasn't bogging. I just bought another one only in the Sears Craftsman pro yellow. Its the same saw only with the Intenz bar. They are selling fot $115 to your door with a 1 year Sears remanufactured warraunty. I would like to try one of the 40cc Echo's too. I see them selling for good prices on E-bay

Yes but with the skills that you have you could probably make the OP's Poulan run pretty good.....

What are the condition of the saws you have? Do they have compression? Do they have spark? Does the fuel systems need cleaning?

I mention this because you mention money is tight. Money is tight for me too. That is why I got on ebay and found 4 carb kits from the same seller for the same price I would of had to pay from the local dealer. I'm going to go through and psi/vac check, clean the fuel system an re-kit the carbs on 4 of my saws. These saws currently do run. I just want to make sure that they'll stay running this summer so I can cut wood instead of work on saws. I'm sure the diaphragms are hard so they do not respond like they should.

Another thing is a sharp chain. A new saw will bring you a new sharp chain until it gets dull. Then the new saw will cut like your old saws. Learn how to tell when a chain needs to be sharpened. Also, I plan on buying a chain grinder from Northern Tool. It will be the best ~$130.00 I will spend on fire wood.

If you really want a new saw, buy it...... Just letting you know what I'll be doing to get my old saws ready for cutting.

I don't have $300.00 in all of my saws because of the way that I’ve obtained them. Trading other items, I've had saws given to me…..or just finding them at a very good price.

I'm sure some look at my saw line up and say that I have nothing but junk....well it's my junk and my junk cuts wood very well.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'll look into the Makita for sure. My wife raided my spare money so who knows how much is left........

I'm going to pick up an ad bulletin this morning and search crags list a little more.

It's refreshing to see a forum treat newbies politely ebmven though the same question has been asked a million times.

Thanks again and by all means keep the opinions flowing!

...Another thing is a sharp chain. A new saw will bring you a new sharp chain until it gets dull. Then the new saw will cut like your old saws. Learn how to tell when a chain needs to be sharpened...

best habit you can develop is - after using your saw, clean it up and touch up the chain. this forces you to stay current on the saw's condition. by touching up the chain i mean take your file and give it one or two strokes on each cutter. not hard strokes but easy. that keeps your chain sharp unless you've rocked it. that's another story. plenty of threads on here about how to hand sharpen a chain. go for it.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'll look into the Makita for sure. My wife raided my spare money so who knows how much is left........

I'm going to pick up an ad bulletin this morning and search crags list a little more.

It's refreshing to see a forum treat newbies politely ebmven though the same question has been asked a million times.

Thanks again and by all means keep the opinions flowing!

She raided your stash of cash?! How could she? :)

I locked my stash up in the gun safe behind a bunch of ammo so she would not find it. Now I have a MS 441. :)

You gotta do what you gotta do. If you don't have the resources for a $400 saw then obviously you'll have to look cheaper.

My old Craftsman 42cc 18" saw did everything I asked out of it for 12 years before it gave out on me. I only paid $125 for it in the late 90's so it was money well spent and I was able to upgrade to a nice Husky when it gave up on me. Check your local craigslist ads, I see lots and lots of random saw deals. that come and go constantly, your area is likely similar. I saw more than a few Husky 455 Ranchers go for around $200 and they were literally in new condition...alot of times people go out to the local hardware of box store, pick up a $400 saw in a box so they can cut up a single tree that fell and then it sits for a year or two till they decide its in the way. Many times these things have had less than a tank of gas run through them, but they go fast so you've got to be ready to move when you see it. Also check local tag sales and estate sales and this is the sort of thing that you mgiht stumble onto a nice barely used saw for short money.

Also check all the home depots within a reasonable driving distance. They sell off their ex-rental Makita 6401 20" chainsaws, usualy around $250-275 in my region. These also tend to go fast, but its often a great deal. Give it the once over when you check it out, make sure they let you start it and run it till its hot and make sure it doesn't have any obvious issues...often they'll throw in an extra chain or two while you're there. I never got my hands on one becuase no HD's within an hour's drive of my house rents tools, but the places I spoke to were generally pretty anal about the care and many don't get taken out too often.

Lasty check your local hardware stores, Sears and other chain stores. Many stores that do service will also take in used or dead saws, repair them and sell them at a great price. My old saw, lawn mower, leaf blower, gas grill and a few other tools all came from my local sears and were sold as clearance returns. Each one has worked flawlessly for years and years and they were all sold to me at 30% or more off list price with full warranty. Usually a homeowner goes and buys these things to do a single specific job and then dishonestly returns it claiming he is dissatisfied, but really just wanted the free power tool rental.

On very rare occasions you'll find a dealer who has a random new saw that they just can't move for some reason and they might be willing to make a deal on it...thats how I got my Husky 359 for $380 ($550 saw).

Keep your eyes peeled and your cash handy, you'll walk into a deal the minute you stop searching for it. Good luck.

A Vote for Echo

New saw rec -

My Echo CS-440 was my first modern saw to my tired Homelite 150A. I'm a homeowner, and ran 40-45:1 fuel mix for the entire time of my warranty period, 5 years. Started quick, ran great, sipped fuel, cut well enough for me. Now that I have hit the 5 year mark, I muffler modded it - I need to take pics and post on here, pulled the limit caps and retuned in 10" maple. It RIPS now.

I often wonder what my experience would have been with a 50cc saw for those 5 years. I'm guessing, because of my homeowner status, not much different. However, I came across a Shindaiwa 757 for a price I couldn't refuse. Free. The owner of the 757 is a friend who is getting up there in age, and is just simply afraid to run that bigger saw. My deal with him is that if he needs help, I help him. I've not gotten one call from him in 4 years.

Even as a homeowner, I volunteer for a YMCA Camp in WI. I am the lead tree guy at camp, and typically drop 20-30 trees a year for them. This is where my saws get primarily used. I've got nothing but 100% confidence in Echo, the products I have from them are bulletproof.

I have seen those yellow Craftsman Professionals and wondered who made them.

I have heard they are the same saw as the Red Max GZ 4000. I'll find out when it gets here. I hope I can mod it to a conventional bar from the Intenz set-up. I have a 14 and 10 inch bar and a few extra 30LP chains to round out the purchase. If not I guess I'll be looking for a clutch cover from a Ryobi or Red Max.

I'm sure some look at my saw line up and say that I have nothing but junk....

Looks like a nice line-up to me. You should be able to cut everything for a lot of years with that line-up. Your big J-Red probably looks like one of my Oly 284's. I call it my digger. I got it as a runner but someone put a large bolt in the case to replace a bad bar stud. I found a few close to junk old Homelite bars that I Dremmeled the bar slot out of to fit around that big bolt. I grind close to junk chains to run on it. I have a 30 inch and 20 inch bar, and I use it [abuse it] in all the worst conditions. The thing runs great, and I sometimes think I should redo it. I'm using it this weekend to take out a 50 inch maple stump.

I have seen those yellow Craftsman Professionals and wondered who made them.

I have heard they are the same saw as the Red Max GZ 4000. I'll find out when it gets here. I hope I can mod it to a conventional bar from the Intenz set-up. I have a 14 and 10 inch bar and a few extra 30LP chains to round out the purchase. If not I guess I'll be looking for a clutch cover from a Ryobi or Red Max.

I'm sure some look at my saw line up and say that I have nothing but junk....

Looks like a nice line-up to me. You should be able to cut everything for a lot of years with that line-up. Your big J-Red probably looks like one of my Oly 284's. I call it my digger. I got it as a runner but someone put a large bolt in the case to replace a bad bar stud. I found a few close to junk old Homelite bars that I Dremmeled the bar slot out of to fit around that big bolt. I grind close to junk chains to run on it. I have a 30 inch and 20 inch bar, and I use it [abuse it] in all the worst conditions. The thing runs great, and I sometimes think I should redo it. I'm using it this weekend to take out a 50 inch maple stump.

yeah, i agree. you ain't got nothin but junk. i'll help you by letting you send me that 999f or even the 284. just me being my usual helpful self. no thanks required.

Look at the dolmar ps 420 its a pro made saw for a homeowner price. Also their just as good as stihl:msp_smile:

+1 here. But absolutely check with nmurph first and see if his is available still. $170 is as good a deal as you'll find. If you're dead set on a new saw,"I understand", what price point are you looking for?

yeah, i agree. you ain't got nothin but junk. i'll help you by letting you send me that 999f or even the 284.

What? You no like ah my 272?

+1 here. But absolutely check with nmurph first and see if his is available still. $170 is as good a deal as you'll find. If you're dead set on a new saw,"I understand", what price point are you looking for?

As of now, price point is zero :(. My spare money was converted to not spare and is gone :(. I'll just have to tinker around with the Snapper+. I have an idea of why mine wasn't running quite right. The other saws I have no idea.

Thanks for all the help. And I never did receive a response from the source I was told to PM :( not about the Makita, I ran outta money before I could PM him :(

I'd find something of that Old Ladys and take it right to the Pawn shop to replenish that stash cash for sure.

I know the question has been asked a thousand times and the frequent posters will roll their eyes but I'm asking anyway.

I have a Snapper+ with 18" bar (nothing more than a red Poulan). Last weekend we had to cut down a sugar maple in my father in laws front yard. Lots of tying off and several guys lulling limbs away from the house. There were five gas saws there. Two pollens and three homlites. All five saws acted up and would. Reliably run....... Made for a very long and tiring day. The tree was topped out with an old electric Remington......

This lead me to look for another saw. The two brands I'm was considering are Stihl and Husqvarna. Stihl is out because the prices are out of budget. I want at least a 18 inch bar and enough saw to pull it.

I've ran across the factory refub husky saws on eBay and was intrigued. Researched them and found my way here. Searches lead me to a member that sells them but I have yet to receive a price quote on them.

The saw I'm looking at is the 445 refurb. From what I read most of the refurbs are returned units from Lowes and can barely be picked from a new saw.

Has anyone used one? I don't mind a little tweaking to get them to run right. I just want something hat will be more reliable than the junk I have.

The saw won't see heavy use so a pro model is not needed. Just the occasional downed tree and family duties :)

Thanks for any help.

Before I'm told I need to support a local dealer that would be fine if my income hasn't dropped substantially. I'm like most people and live paycheck to paycheck so a local dealer that wants $500 for something o can get much cheaper (and I can afford) online is simply going to mis out. I can maintain my equipment myself. Sorry is this sounds rude.

If you can ind a Dolmar Dealer in your area look at the Dolmar PS 510 for around $325 you can't beat it. (52CC 3.2 HP)

If and when I need to replace my junk, I'm definately going to tell the doctors to replace it with professional equipment.
If I go with a used saw it'll more than likely be a pro model.
I'd find something of that Old Ladys and take it right to the Pawn shop to replenish that stash cash for sure.
If she had taken the cash and bought a purse than we would be at odds. Work has slowed way down and unexpectedly high utilities are the culprit :(

I know the question has been asked a thousand times and the frequent posters will roll their eyes but I'm asking anyway.

I have a Snapper+ with 18" bar (nothing more than a red Poulan). Last weekend we had to cut down a sugar maple in my father in laws front yard. Lots of tying off and several guys lulling limbs away from the house. There were five gas saws there. Two pollens and three homlites. All five saws acted up and would. Reliably run....... Made for a very long and tiring day. The tree was topped out with an old electric Remington......

This lead me to look for another saw. The two brands I'm was considering are Stihl and Husqvarna. Stihl is out because the prices are out of budget. I want at least a 18 inch bar and enough saw to pull it.

I've ran across the factory refub husky saws on eBay and was intrigued. Researched them and found my way here. Searches lead me to a member that sells them but I have yet to receive a price quote on them.

The saw I'm looking at is the 445 refurb. From what I read most of the refurbs are returned units from Lowes and can barely be picked from a new saw.

Has anyone used one? I don't mind a little tweaking to get them to run right. I just want something hat will be more reliable than the junk I have.

The saw won't see heavy use so a pro model is not needed. Just the occasional downed tree and family duties :)

Thanks for any help.

Before I'm told I need to support a local dealer that would be fine if my income hasn't dropped substantially. I'm like most people and live paycheck to paycheck so a local dealer that wants $500 for something o can get much cheaper (and I can afford) online is simply going to mis out. I can maintain my equipment myself. Sorry is this sounds rude.
Kudos to you for maintaining your own stuff. Now, since you maintain your own stuff, you should be able to make your Snapper run reliably. ANY saw will run consistently if it's tuned right and has no underlying problems. On the flip side of the coin, ANY brand of saw will run poorly/cut poorly if it isn't tuned and sharpened correctly. So, fix the saw you have now, save a few hundred bucks, and then decide if you need another saw for your limited use.

If and when I need to replace my junk, I'm definately going to tell the doctors to replace it with professional equipment.

If I go with a used saw it'll more than likely be a pro model.
...(

My previous post was meant to be a joke :)laugh:), but if I have explain it...........................:bang:.

Latest posts

Back