Need a little mechanical help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuleyJ

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
:deadhorse: I have done several searches on this little eager beaver 2.0, and it seems that everyone else has had a different problem than this. It will only run when I squirt mix into the carb then it acts like it is not getting fuel (dies when it has burned through what you put in.) I have dismantled this thing twice, changed fuel line, H and L are 1 1/8 turn out, new plug, checked clearances for spark, cleaned fuel tank and filter, and cleaned every spec of dust off. I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it out with carb cleaner, but not put a carb kit in as I am new to the saw mechanic thing and I am a little skeered. I am sure this is the problem and have checked into a carb kit but no word yet. Is there possibly something I am missing that is not related to a carb kit? Or something else I should do while I have it apart again? Thanks.

I know you said you replaced the fuel line, but did you check the impulse line? I am not famaliar with that particular model, but if the impulse line is cracked, it will not prime.

Also, chances are if you took the carb apart, it will need new gaskets or a new diaphram. I would clean it using either spray carb cleaner or a bath style carb clean and clean it good. Clean out the passages with compressed air.

You should be able to get a cheap carb kit through online dealers. Even local dealers should be able to get you a carb kit.

??

Freakingstang said:
I know you said you replaced the fuel line, but did you check the impulse line? I am not famaliar with that particular model, but if the impulse line is cracked, it will not prime.

Sorry, like I said I am new to this and am not farmiliar with the impulse line, whats that??

Impulse line is built in on this model saw. when you remove the carb. it is the small hole in the carb. base gasket. Tom

MuleyJ said:
Sorry, like I said I am new to this and am not farmiliar with the impulse line, whats that??

The Impulse line uses crankcase pressure to prime the carb. Sometimes it is a seperate hose and sometimes it is built into the carb base. Apparently as Tom said, it is built in on this model. Disregard my note about replacing the impulse line, as it apparently isn't there. lol

BUT, The impulse port on the jug could be plugged. With the cartb off, put a bit of white grease or vaseline on the port (enough to plug the hole) the pull thte rope, if the vaseline is disturbed, you have pulse otherwise the port is plugged. Happens on string trimmers fairly regularly. Did you have tha carb COMPLETELY aprt, the needle could be stuck in the seat too.

Needle

I did have the needle out and cleaned everything with aerosol cleaner. There was a little discoloration on the needle tip but the saw had not been run since I don't remember when.

I don't remember seeing the impulse port though, is it a fairly small port? I don't have carb right here but i will look a little closer at that tomorrow. If the impulse port is plugged what's the best way to take care of that problem? Thanks

Last edited:
Pull the carb off and clean out the impulse passage on both the carb and the saw. Cut or order a new saw to carb gasket. When you reassemble it be very careful that the carb, gasket, and saw mount up in line. Check the needle assembly and make sure that the lever is set up high enough. Also check the fuel filter in the tank to make sure it is not full of crud, pull the fuel line hook up out the back of the tank with a gentle twisting action. Make sure to line the fuel line up between the little cast tabs in the bottom saw housing casting or it will get pinched. Do not try to use a longer fuel line than what it came with as that can lead to kinking. Fussy saws to rebuild but can be very nice little saws. Good luck.

Compress air is the best way to clear the impulse holes. Do not use carb cleaner or brake cleaner on the crankcase as they can degrade the crank seals. If you need to use a spray can use WD-40.

Carb numbers???

Got the numbers off the carb but I can't match it on any of the sites I have been on. The carb says ZAMA M7 2YP. Which kit do I need?

Latest posts

Back