Need a new Saw Please help Husqvarna Fans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biglurr54

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I purchased a 2004 Husqvarna 359 off Nmurph a few years ago and love the saw. It cut everything I threw at it and it didnt break my back using it all day. I messed the cylinder up trying to hold the piston in place to pull the clutch so I could replace the drive sprocket. I hate my self so much right now.

I cut around 10-12 cord a year. 1/2 in the woods 1/2 log truck loads.

Needless to say my log length wood comes this week. I have no saw. And its going to be single digits here.

My options are to have the 359 rebuilt- $300
A local hardware store has a new 359- $???
they also have a 372 XP - $679.99

My husq dealer has:
372 XP -$699
562 XP- $699
555-$599
550 XP- $599

Im open to a good deal on a used saw as well

All the new saws are out of my price range right now but my family needs heat. So I can work some extra hours and get the money if i have too.

Which saw is the most reliable work horse, comparable to the 359, and best deal?

Other suggestions.

You would not expect, but my choice would be the 372XP :innocent:

Self overhauling the 359 is not an option?
This does not cost $ 300

And sell a saw in separate parts also still brings it to $ 200
Isn't it ?

I'd go with the 555 if you want something about equal in weight and power to your 359. Husky 545 would be my choice if you want to try a 50 cc saw. It's basically a detuned 550, but can be had for less money.

Several years ago I bought a Husqv 350 for $25 because the owner damaged the piston and exhaust port while removing the clutch to replace the oil pump. He was dumping the saw because he was just plain disgusted. I cleaned up the goobered exhaust port with abrasive paper, maybe I raised the port a little) restored the damaged piston ring groove with a sharpened shard of the old ring, installed a new ring and it still goes today. He gave up too soon and it cost him a good saw. Look it over carefully, fix it and I'll bet you will feel better. Don

Rebuild, rebuild, rebuild! You can have it running by the weekend. Plus it fits your budget.

Aftermarket Meteor kits are available from several sponsors here and elsewhere online. You can have one to your door for under $150. Like Clint said, you can bolt on a new 357xp P/C for $200ish. Some people have may have a used top end for you as well.

i'm wondering how you held the piston in place? it wasn't the old dummy gilbert, screwdriver through the exhaust port was it :eek: i hope not cause that really naws at the exhaust roof. those clutch require no stop. just get a punch on the clutch shoe and giv'er a wack. IIRC i have actually never came across any 346/357, 550/562, that i couldn't get the clutch off with my scrench as a punch and my axe as a hammer with no piston stop. works great and no damage. post up a pic of the damage. it might qualify for a redneck tidy up and you'll be on your way :D

If you need a saw right now, I'd buy the 372 for $679. That's a good price. Then get the 359 rebuilt as a 357xp when you have the time and money.

Since you are upstate NY, visiting Spike 60's shop may be a good idea (Ashokan Turf and Timber). His prices usually are very good, both on new saws and on OEM top ends.

The 555 is the direct replacement for the 359, and a little lighter and stronger. Despite the model number, it is 60cc.

Yeah, I'm curious as to where he is also. Not all that easy to get log load delivered right now in many places either. ;) If you're not that far from Ulster County, take a ride over.

Wouldn't suggest the 545/550 for log load cutting, especially going down in size from what you are used to with the 359. Also, the 555/562 will take the same bar and chain as you are running on the 359.

Yeah, I'm curious as to where he is also. Not all that easy to get log load delivered right now in many places either. ;) If you're not that far from Ulster County, take a ride over.

Wouldn't suggest the 545/550 for log load cutting, especially going down in size from what you are used to with the 359. Also, the 555/562 will take the same bar and chain as you are running on the 359.
Isn't the 562xp a large mount? The 359 is small mount.

Back