Need advice on breaking down 42” oak round

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran into a red elm the same size as this tree. I bucked all the big rounds to 18" lengths and then noodle cut from there. Sometimes I needed halves, then quarters, and then sixths when I reached the bottom. The idea was to make lengths that I could either lift and carry away or split.

Gasoline is cheaper than paying a chiropractor to treat a strained or wrenched back. Crane and MoonDoggle know what they are doing, and as Cody said, the noodles work in a chicken coop (or in a horse stable). Two thumbs up!

Glad to see they also know how to do things in St. Joe, Missouri. Good Pics, Driver!

Last summer we even used them instead of mulch around her flower beds and in the flower pots.

Here's another simple tip. Dry noodles cut with a chain saw can be saved and lit with a stick match to start a fire in a wood stove. No newspapers are even required. I saved about 30 gallons of them packed in a barrel last year to do exactly that. Add a few log splitter chips or twigs. It worked for me.

Whether you are splitting with a machine or by hand always split "up" the tree. As the tree stood, if you can still determine the difference between splitting up or splitting down, always split UP. It will always split cleaner and easier this way.

Whether you are splitting with a machine or by hand always split "up" the tree. As the tree stood, if you can still determine the difference between splitting up or splitting down, always split UP. It will always split cleaner and easier this way.

If I'm splitting the lowest part of the trunk, I split from the top down, either way it can be ugly pieces. Same with a crotch, I'll split the from the top down to take the limbs down, and then flip it to finish off where the tree splits. One needs to just learn how to read the grain when splitting, not always an easy thing to do. I'm still amazed at how some rather large pieces will split easier than thought, and I'll get a small crotch that wants to put up a fight.

Back