need bigger saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12guns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, what's the next step up from an 026? I will be buying a stihl, probably used. I know several of you think some models are superior to others (aside from pro vs. non-pro) . So if i'm looking for more power, bar length no longer than 18", where should I start? Do I need to jump several steps to be satisfied? Not that I need the pro, but that is my preference.

I sold my 026 to help finance a 361, not sorry in the least. It's not a big jump but I'm glad I made it. If I had to have only 3 Stihl saws, 009 (flame away) , 361, 064/066. I own an 009,361,064.....................and about a dozen others.

44 or 46. skip the 3xx series, and save some money, imo just don't trade in the 26, sell it outright, you'll get more for it that way. Always get a little bigger than you think you'll need, and you won't be running it as hard. an 044/ms440 with an 18" bar and chain will definately put a smile on your face cutting firewood.
-Ralph

Thanks guys, that's kind of what I wanted to hear. I will be keeping the 026, it's my first saw, and runs like a champ. 044 is sounding pretty good. I'll have to compare weight/power. Keep em' coming!

044 wins...

ok, the 440 takes the cake...it wieghs virtually the same as my dad's 290, w/ considerably more power. Sounds like a winner to me...Is there any reason to jump up to the 460?

Not for cutting 18" firewood, although I think the 460 is the best saw made.
-Ralph

If you are young and husky the 044 is a great saw; but, at my age and build, the 360 Pro is one super saw. I bought one in superb condition on ebay for $330. And it has a great feel and lots of chain speed with an 18" bar. Its been replaced by the 361 which gets rave reviews, but, if you can find a used 360 Pro in good shape, I think its a good 'compromise' in that its more powerful than the 026 and not as heavy as the 044/046 variety. Plus, I think the larger saws are better suited to a 24" bar or greater.

I'd go for the 361. Run a 20-24 inch bar and full skip. Blows though just about anything and you arms feel fine at the end of the day.

Lakeside53 said:
I'd go for the 361. Run a 20-24 inch bar and full skip. Blows though just about anything and you arms feel fine at the end of the day.

I should read the original post properly. Used saw : hard to get a 361. Get a 360Pro.. You love it and feel right at home after an 26 (which I still love even though they get the ???? bashed out of them on this site :) . BTW, I assume you have the older 26, with the full 3.4 hp, and not the later type reduced to 3.2 to met epa?

yeah, my 026 is old. Great saw. I'm not a real big guy, about 6', 190 lbs. weight really doesn't matter, however I did have lower back surgery for two badly ruptured discs a couple years ago. All is well now, back feels great. The more active i am, the better i feel...

begleytree,
are you saying the 460 is way over kill for 18" firewood? I assume that's what you mean.

I'm still leaning to 044 used...With an 18" bar, It'll pretty much rip wood as fast as i'll ever need it to.

also, can a person order full skip chains pre-made? Where?

no 12guns, thats not what I'm saying. I meant that while I don't think there's a better saw made than the 460, I don't think you'll be able to tell much difference between the 440 and the 460 for your application. The 460 really shines with a muffler mod, whereas the 440 has a pretty open muffler in stock form.
Just don't think you'd really notice the power difference as much as you'd notice the weight, and price.
The 440 would be a screamer in your firewood, and you'd keep some hard earned cash in your pocket over the 460.
A 440 running an 18-20" B&C, with an 8 pin sprocket, running 3/8 full skip would be all you ever dreamed of in your application.
You wouldn't be out cutting all day, you'd be done quicker, with less fatigue verses a smaller or larger saw, and your smile wouldn't wash off.
-Ralph

or you could buck up and get a 460 with a dual port muffler cover and never need anything else for anything (bucking, firewood or felling)
you will love either one, it just depends on how much overkill you want to need. With an 18" bar a 440 is way more than enough and a 361 would probably be the realistic choice for your needs (firewood). All of these would last you a lifetime for cutting firewood. And the 361 would be by far easier to use(size+weight).
honestly, you should get a new 361.
just an opinion

Last edited:
12guns said:
I'm still leaning to 044 used...With an 18" bar, It'll pretty much rip wood as fast as i'll ever need it to.

QUOTE]

It's very easy to over rev a 44 with an 18 inch bar. I like the combination (and use a 16" on my 361 most of the time), but make sure it's buried in the wood at full throttle.

Over reving????

Lakeside53 said:
It's very easy to over rev a 44 with an 18 inch bar. I like the combination (and use a 16" on my 361 most of the time), but make sure it's buried in the wood at full throttle.
Over reving with short bar?
I don't think that is possible if the carb is properly adjusted out of wood, with the short bar setup in place.

361, 460 and 660 are sold with 15" bar as standard over here in Norway - the 440 isn't offered at all.

Last edited:
You don't need a full skip chian on an 18" bar on an 044. If you're cutting firewood, probably hardwood, why would you do it? The full comp. chain will be faster. I wonder also why you'd limit yourself to an 18" bar? Why not a 25"? My MS390 isn't half the saw of the 044 but it rips great with that combo in mixed hardwood and pine. Same application as you. Anyway you're saw your money, plenty of used 044s to be had on Evil Bay and sometimes here, people bid them up like crazy though.

Latest posts

Back