need help deciding on hurricane saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volunteer

Reaction score
My Sunday School class is putting together a chain saw crew to start traveling to storm areas to help people out. My question is what size/brand saws would we need to acquire? I was thinking about MS390 or Husky 365. I already have 018c and 025 and was wanting to get a bigger saw also. I will aquire a total of approx 6 saws. Recommendations will be appreciated.:confused:

Volunteer said:
My Sunday School class is putting together a chain saw crew to start traveling to storm areas to help people out. My question is what size/brand saws would we need to acquire? I was thinking about MS390 or Husky 365. I already have 018c and 025 and was wanting to get a bigger saw also. I will aquire a total of approx 6 saws. Recommendations will be appreciated.:confused:

the 365 would be a good alround choise

There is a man in my church who has been going down there and said that we would be well served with one big timber saw and multiple mid sized saws. Since this would be occasional use can I justify the expense of an Stihl 440? I am thinking of a 390 w/ 20" bar and a couple of 250's?

Husky 365. Especially if some of the help are casual saw users. Easy to start
plenty of flexible power. Good performance/dollar value. Also its Not going to
wear you out. A great do it all saw. For that price range you might want
to consider a 357XP...lighter, same HP class; just have to keep the RPM's up.

I gotta agree with Dan here. If they are qualified to run saws in an emergency situation, then they have the experience to know what saws to buy. Ask any pro who has worked in storm cleanup about the scads of unqualified 'help' falling off ladders, cutting themselves, falling out of trees and other such assorted acts which do nothing but increase insurance rates for us pros.

I was talking with DDM Dave yesterday and he was telling me about all the stupid things being attempted by homeowners and unqualified 'pickup truck hacks' who were cleaning up after last week's ice storm. Every idiot with a Wal-Mart Poulan thought he was a tree man. He watched a lawn guy fall out of a tree from 20' after attempting to start a chainsaw while trying to sit in the tree with no rope or saddle.

Spoken like a true pro & business owner.
PPE's & Liability & Experience vs. Situations have to be considered.

...but unfortunately this is sometimes analogous
to talking about the virtues of abstinence when a young couple is planning
a night out in the corn field.....

In these types of situations sometimes there simply isn't time or money
to wait & pay for the pro's. Stuff is going to get cut.

Advice on bad situations, PPE's and Saws from the Pro's can be valuble stuff during these
times. Might even reduce the numbers of injuries.

Volunteer said:
My Sunday School class is putting together a chain saw crew to start traveling to storm areas to help people out. My question is what size/brand saws would we need to acquire? I was thinking about MS390 or Husky 365. I already have 018c and 025 and was wanting to get a bigger saw also. I will acquire a total of approx 6 saws. Recommendations will be appreciated.:confused:

If I needed six saws to clean up storm damage and was thinking Stihl or Husky, I'd go with something like two good hand saws, three 350s, and a 372xp/385xp/MS460/MS660 (maybe a used 288xp or 046?). A 3cu in saw with a 16" bar would be better for limbing than a 4cu in saw with a longer bar and can still buck wood a little over 2' in diameter. One larger saw might be needed to get the wood safely on the ground and buck the larger stuff.

IMHO, a MS390 or 365 is going to be heavier and more expensive than needed for most of the work and not quite big enough for some. No sense spending extra $$ and wear out the volunteers carrying around heavier saws than needed for the job.

Don't forget six pair of chaps, six eye/ear/head protection helmets, a half dozen extra loops of 16" chain for the 350s, an extra bar, a couple of file guides, a couple air filters, a few dozen 3/16" files, a dozen 7/32" files, a dozen raker files, a dozen gallons of bar oil, a bunch of 2 gallon gas cans, etc. Perhaps you could get a business to donate some consumables to the church if you buy all the saws and chaps from them?

vharrison2 said:
Good on you, the people still need help. A ms200t is a great little saw.

Yes, a great saw, but I wouldn't put a 200T, 192T or any other top handled saw in the hands of other than an experianced crew. They are only supposed to be used "in tree" by pros... Way too easy to get injured with these.

I did hurricane clean up myself. Most of the people i worked with bought Poulans or Homelites. I know the only reason they bought cheap saw was because they only needed to use them for a few weeks they did not need saws that would last for 25 years. They were not looking for 500 dollar saws. The guys that i worked with during the clean up did not have 500 for a saw. But they could afford a 100 dollar saw (Poulan or Homelite). If you guys can move up to larger saws i would recomend a 136/137 Huskie or a 170 top 210 Stihl. They will not burn through oak like a 365 but they will get the job done and they will not cost a huge amount on money.

Make sure you get safty gear and know how to use it. There is a lot of dirt in the wood, you will need extra chains and files. Learn how to file a chain before you get there. All i did for about 2 days was sharpen chains for people who did not know how. If you can't use a file Oregon makes an electric sharpener call a suresharp (I think) it does a pretty good job for a 45 dollar tool.
Rob

I agree with much of what has been said in prior replies....

Stay with the non-pro line of saws for you non-pro (assumption) workers, and just add a "bigger saw" like a 290 or 310. It's all they need for anything they can handle, and yes, let the "pro" go the real big or tricker stuff.

I recently fixed up some older saws (free) for the local fire dept who headed off to the storm areas. They left them with local groups when they returned. The biggest problem they encountered was getting more chains and getting them sharpened. Much of the debris is dirty and blunts chains very quickly, particularly on the hands of the inexperienced. In addition to the required safety gear, take a LOT of chains and files. Go you one of you local saw shops, tell them what you are doing, and ask if they will donate used chains to the cause. Most shops have mountains of old chains that are perfectly good. They might even give you a break on the saw, and "teach" a little sharpening technique.

One time thing, I would get a bunch of reconditioned Poulan Pro 295's. Have them fitted with 16" bars and .325 semi chisel chain. Take a couple extra oilers and have at it. I've found them to be quite durable for the money and have not seen the oiler problems claimed. Have a pretty good power to weight ratio, and are light enough that most people can handle them. If a member of your group is experienced get at least a 5 cube saw with a 28-32" bar for the big stuff, I mention a bar this long because in storm downed trees you may not have the best chance of getting to both sides of the trunk. Bring plenty of plastic wedges because you are going to pinch ALOT. Get helmets and chaps, go into this with the idea you will walk away from an iffy situation.

While I'm not a professional, I have spent a fair amount of time in and out of trees. I worked for a tree service company when I was 18 for about a year and a half. I use my saws for firewood.

I own two 365 husky's. They are great saws and I love them to death, but I don't know if I let someone that is unexperieced use them. They are a fun saw with a 18" bar and can be used with bars up to 32" per Husky's specs, although I have only had a 28" on mine on a couple occasions.

The 350 or 351's are a great all around saw that will get the job done. Unless you are cutting some serious trees, I would stick with mainly these. I have not used the 359xp, so I can't comment on that one. Good luck and thanks for volunteering to help out.

Steve

Have a class on safety and really teach them about the dangers of rotted trees the propper cuts for different situations and have them provide a safety monitoring group to assist others.

You will save more than you would have otherwise and the subject of "Who's insurance plan is this group riding on" and "How do you start this" never come in to play.

Spend the money on safety gear from a sponsor and distribute that. How many pairs of chaps, wedges (and you learn when to use them) GOGGLES and gloves could the fund purchase? You might get Prudential to foot the thing, you'd be saving them untold thousands of dollars.

Maybe a sponsor would provide a safety kit bundle you could purchase. If these guys barely can get a saw, do you really think they have the moneys left to protect themselves?

The Church has always excelled at well defined support roles for the needy. Learn basic saw maintenance, these are skills the volunteers take back with them. Anything happens in your neck of the woods you have a functional support group established. So, it's an investment in people and new skills.

Teach a man to fish...

I live here in the hurricane affected area, had to stay and work thru the storm. I have seen more chainsaw injuries and punctured feet from nails in the last 4 months than I have in the last 15 years practicing emergency medicine (10 of those at a major trauma center). I've seen 2 people sent to the OR with deep, dirty lacerations to their knee joints, probably will have pain + problems for life. People are falling out of trees, off of roofs, and having things land on them.
Please don't let anyone handle a saw unless they are properly trained and experienced, especially if you are going into Orleans or St. Bernard Parish, b/c the medical resources available to help you or a well-intentioned but severely injured volunteer are few.
You'd probably find alot of tremendously grateful people in need in the lower ninth ward or St. Bernard who would rather have you help remove drywall or clean up other flood mess.
And THANK YOU!!!! for your help, everyone needs it right now.

Hurricane saws

Thanks for all of the input guys. The Tennessee Baptist Convention provides training for chainsaw crews and most of the men in my class have worked with chainsaws for years. You cannot go into these areas unless you are certified from the TBC and you must have PPE (goggles, gloves, chaps, etc). It sounds like we may only need one big saw ie Stihl 390, 440 Husky 359,365,372 etc. and alot of smaller sizes Stihl 21-26? How would the Rancher 455 do in this situation? It also sounds like we need to take a bucket load of chains and a way to sharpen them in the field. We are wanting to buy a covered trailer to outfit all of this equipment and also to carry an ATV for hauling limbs. Keep the good ideas coming!!!!!

What kind of trees are you to expect a 390 is not that big an 044 would cover most anything I guess unless there is really big wood. Definatly alot of chains. Rember the smallest possible bar to get the job done cheaper chain price less to file better for inexpierenced users. I dont know how much you wish to get accomplished with an atv. If you are into mostly 10-18inch wood 025s should be sufficent.

Volunteer said:
How would the Rancher 455 do in this situation?

It would do fine, but its ~$40 more than the 350 and 2.2lbs heavier. If I were looking to spending more I'd go $15 beyond the 455 to a 353. I have one and love it.

These ought to give you an idea on pricing and specs of Husky saws.
http://www.baileys-online.com/husky.htm
http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm
http://catalog.getsaws.com/browseGr...://www.alamia.com/index.asp?PG=50&ID=126&EM=1

Bailey's also has great prices on their narrow kerf ArborPro bars and .325 narrow kerf WoodsmanPro chain loops. They have a store in Jackson, TN so you could probably look the merchandise over before you buy.

first of all i commend you on your intentions. people helping people is a lost art anymore.
do any of your helpers have any saw experience? it is a great thing you all are doing but dont add to the problem with injury.
make sure you have the proper PPE and use it correctly.
have you thought about stopping at your local saw shops to see if they have any used saws in good working order? good working order meaning all the safety features are in place and working. you may get them donated to you for your good deeds.
try, if you can, to stay in the saw range for the active firewood cutter(stihl 260 or the husky 365). leave the bigger stuff for the pros. this will also reduce the risk of injury. try to identify all of the hazards before you cut and don't let anyone play hero.
be careful and thanks for your helping hearts. marty

Latest posts

Back