need help from some Stihl experts out there...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcmchong

Reaction score
I have an old Stihl 010av and the problem is that the oil that lubricates the chain is flowing out too fast. I see the oiling hole where the oil is being pumped out and it is a fairly good size hole... probably about 1/8" in diameter. Is there a reducer or restricter part that goes over that hole? If there is can you please provide me with a Stihl part number? I stopped by my local Stihl dealer and they were not able to find anything in the parts diagram. I did just replace the filter and the small plastic sleeve and this didn't help either.

Have you tried some thicker bar oil?
If that doesn't work, find a spring and push into the delivery hose, effectively reducing the ID.

trying thicker bar oil...

Thanks for the insight.. I didn't realize that there were different grades/viscosity of bar oil. I am using off the shelf Home Depot bar oil. I'll try the spring idea. Not easy finding a spring that small with that perfect fit.

Thanks.

I don't have a solution, but I have an 08S and that thing really slings the bar oil as well. I just figured they really wanted to keep things lubricated back in the day.

Most of my saws actually have a little brass insert in the end of the delivery hose to squeeze it into the crankcase.
This thing also reduces the ID of the hose, as it looks like a tiny little cup with a hole in the bottom. So, another way to address that problem would be to punch/drill a little hole into a 'pen cap' and stuff it in. Just thinking out loud.

Back