need help new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome to the list atv123. Don't know about the JD's, my suggestion is a 346xp if you want a saw in this class. Just bought one myself, delivered for about 350. Have run about 4 tanks thru the saw so far, so way early to form an opinion, but seems to be a real nice cutting little saw.

I'm in the market for a new saw too, and have gotten great advice from the guys here...

Do a search using my user name, Sting, and check out the threads I've started... might be some "food for thought" there for you... You can also try entering the saw model in the search, might get some hits off that too! Good luck!

atv,

Here's a link to Efco's euro website. http://www2.emak.it/database/emak/emak.nsf/wframe_eng.htm

the corresponding saws are the 146 and 152. The specs make them sound like pro-sumer saws, a bit heavy for the power. But the price should be good, and the quality much the same as the 345 Husky, I'd guess.

http://www.chainsaws4u.com has good prices on JD saws, but dont list those two.

I've been toying with becoming an Efco dealer, if you're not in a hurry, email me....

Depending on who's available to service your saw, you might consider echo's cs-4400 0r echo's cs-5000. I run a few echo saws and find they are extremely reliable.

Try this site www.alamia.com

CJ

A friend of mine purchased a 345 w/ 16", .325 this summer over the net for around $230 and he has been very happy with it. About a month ago I touched up the chain for him and took it out back for a test cut or two. I was pleasantly impressed. They appear to be a good little homeowner saw.

I found the Husky 345 for $238 & the Rancher for $298 including shipping. The 345 is 3.0hp & the Rancher is 3.3hp. Is the hp rating the only diff.

Last edited:
Hi atv123, the Rancher you are referring to is a 55, right? A very good saw but it is more of the old generation which isn`t necessarily a bad thing. It has a magnesium crankcase with a seperate jug which the 345 does not have, and it also has more torque than the 345. Where the 345 has the advantage is that it is 1# lighter, has a side chain adjuster, and it comes form the factory with .325 pitch chain which I feel is most apropriate on saws in this range. I actually use a 345 for my 4 wheeler saw and it is a surprisingly good cutter with sharp chain, it`s nice and light, and has excellent anti-vibe, pretty fuel efficient too. My only beef with the 345 for a homeowner saw is that the chain catcher is plastic and may not stand up to many chain throws, but then how often do you throw the chain? What is your primary use going to be? Are those JD models you listed the newest models or are they possibly the older JD Homelites? If they are the JD Homelites, I`d stay away from them. If they are the newest models they would be Efcos which have a very good reputation but I do remember that many of them were a little porky for their displacement. As others have said at different times, where you can get it serviced is an important factor. As lync said, the Echos are very good saws also and it is likely that there are a few dealers somewhere near you. I know a few guys running the 4400s and they are very happy after a few years use. Although I don`t care much for some of the Echo features I believe they may have the best engine compared to the JDs and the 345.

TC165, those would be Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes models, LOL, but that doesn`t make them bad saws, just bad dealers. Russ

The Rancher has a metal crankcase, whereas the 345 is plastic. Under typical homeowner use, the plastic crankcase will serve you fine. Under pro use, you would want metal; if just for ease of servicing.
Given the low cost of homeowner saws and the high cost of labor, most consider them "disposable" in the event of a major failure, such as bottom bearings.

Latest posts

Back