Need help picking a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man thats why I always look for a used saw. I just cant drop that kind of cash on a saw. I can only imagine how little a perfect new saw would get used because I wouldnt want to dirty it up LOL. But im just a firewood horder at best, maybe an occasional tree fell for a friend.
OP what are you leaning towards? Theres many of choices in the range you are looking in. Have you narrowed it down?

I have some what. right now in this order ms261 699.99, dolmar 5105 550.00 if i can get the 5105 have to call the saw shop today, husky 555 634.00 or 550xp 700.00. The ms291 55cc at 3.8hp and 12.3 pounds is a good price at 499.99 but plastic.
So this is my list I know i'm splitting hairs but love them help i'm getting and just want to get the best saw i can for my hard had money. So thats why im hear to get real world info about what is good and bad about these saw. like skeans was saying about the air filters letter dust past on the dolmar and the stihl. Thanks guys!!

I wouldn't sweat the filtration too much for our woods Shawn. All of the saws you have considered will be adequate. Sometimes all it takes is a tiny smear of grease to seal things right up. I don't even do that with my saws. My bikes yes, my saws no.

Forget the 391. It's probably a decent saw, but won't run with the snap of a pro saw. Buy an echo 590 if you want that kind of a tune. It is built like a proper saw.

The beauty of the echo cs501p is its light weight. Stay light. A 3.8hp, 12.3 pound saw is heavy for it's power. I don't believe you are looking for that?? And it's not as much the weight even as the state of tune. Do you want a ripper or a lugger?

Here's a Husky 555, 562, & a Stihl 260 all lined up height and weight feel the same heck the handle angles are look the same. Maintenance wise vs use the Stihl has only been used for slashing mainly and been the most labor heavy of the saws.
0f84c62605268d2caf0769c62a49bb10.jpg
574c32edcb2fd7abc66e5c2639678688.jpg
440b14ebe0415a88bb72338a7293bf3a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I wouldn't sweat the filtration too much for our woods Shawn. All of the saws you have considered will be adequate. Sometimes all it takes is a tiny smear of grease to seal things right up. I don't even do that with my saws. My bikes yes, my saws no.

Forget the 391. It's probably a decent saw, but won't run with the snap of a pro saw. Buy an echo 590 if you want that kind of a tune. It is built like a proper saw.

The beauty of the echo cs501p is its light weight. Stay light. A 3.8hp, 12.3 pound saw is heavy for it's power. I don't believe you are looking for that?? And it's not as much the weight even as the state of tune. Do you want a ripper or a lugger?

I total agree with you that's why it at the end of my list. plus the 291 doesn't come with the travel case or the extra chain. so after spending 85 bucks on that its a total of like 100 buck to move up to the 261. that's a no brainer !!!

Once you have run a rockin' little 50cc saw with a 16" bar on it you will seldom pick up the bigger saw. Unless you need it. Which for most is seldom✌️

Sorry man, I don't play with toys any more... j/k

Fwiw, the 372XP is the smallest saw I've run, in terms of displacement, weight etc... to me it doesn't seem like a big saw.

I called the local Dolmar dealer during the week and they have a 5105 so I went and checked it out. They are a nice saw and have inboard clutch and rim sprocket and stuff that I like.

Buy it. (If you want)

That is the highest performance new, non-electronic mixture-controlled 50cc saw available.(I think). If it's anything like the 420 it will have a smooth, broad power curve. Nice.

I want one too, but alas I really have no need. I hope Dolmar doesn't go all electronic on us. I need some time. The stratos are coming...which is another complication for no reason.

Watch the tune. You may have to remove the limiters on the high mixture screw. Ideally the dealer should set it up to give you some room to work with on that screw.

The stupid EPA ...

And yes, the shopping comment was for you.

Try to get at least one spare chain and files (rounds AND a flat).

You are almost there! Woohoo!

Ya it was a nice saw. just worrie about parts. They are the only dealer around that sell these saws. I also worrie that if Makita can get there sales up on there saw they just might stop selling and making parts for there gas saw and just stay with battery saw. I know stihl is not going out of bisness any time soon and with the 261 10-15 years down the road I will still be able to get parts.
The Dolmar and Stihl are only a 100 buck apart. So for a 100 buck more you get a saw that is sold every town there is in canada where with dolmar it wait for online or drive to edmonton eveytime I need a part. We are planning on buying a acrage out side of edmonton.

What saw do you own right now and use?

That 100.00 also gets you a case and extra chain and a couple of other little things too, right?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

As far as what I own and use. I use my little Dolmar 420 the most, followed by my jonsered 590 (s). Then my ms362 after that.

When you buy any good saw and use it as a hobbyist you will need no parts at all for many, many years. Other than chains...

That 100.00 also gets you a case and extra chain and a couple of other little things too, right?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

As far as what I own and use. I use my little Dolmar 420 the most, followed by my jonsered 590 (s). Then my ms362 after that.

When you buy any good saw and use it as a hobbyist you will need no parts at all for many, many years. Other than chains...

The Dolmar is 639 with case and extra chain and the stihl is 734 with case and chain.

To me, the 100.00 is meaningless. Close enough.

Either saw will be awesome. Unfortunately I have not run either, so I can't comment on the nuances of each.

Tough choice. Of course we'd like one of each. Ha!

The Stihl costs more because it is a Stihl, not because it is better in any way whatsoever. The Dolmar is really good quality too.

The only thing I could say is the paint job on my Dolmar seems to chip more easily than the paint on my Stihl. I would say that neither one compares to the finish on my 30 year old jonsereds. Neither one is as easy to tear down either. Sad.

I think if it wasn't for the electromcgadgetry on the Stihl that you would have already bought it.??

I don't mistrust Dolmar one bit. I do mistrust electromcgadgetry. Just me.

Seriously, I don't think either saw is a bad choice. Nor would be a Husky, jonsered, or echo.

You might have to flip a coin......

ahh, best 2 out of 3? Ha!

To me, the 100.00 is meaningless. Close enough.

Either saw will be awesome. Unfortunately I have not run either, so I can't comment on the nuances of each.

Tough choice. Of course we'd like one of each. Ha!

The Stihl costs more because it is a Stihl, not because it is better in any way whatsoever. The Dolmar is really good quality too.

The only thing I could say is the paint job on my Dolmar seems to chip more easily than the paint on my Stihl. I would say that neither one compares to the finish on my 30 year old jonsereds. Neither one is as easy to tear down either. Sad

I think if it wasn't for the electromcgadgetry on the Stihl that you would have already bought it.??

I don't mistrust Dolmar one bit. I do mistrust electromcgadgetry. Just me.

Seriously, I don't think either saw is a bad choice. Nor would be a Husky, jonsered, or echo.

You might have to flip a coin......

ahh, best 2 out of 3? Ha!

I agree the 100 buck is nothing but will get me some saw chaps.
The other thing is the Dolmar comes with the heated handle bar for that cost, that im sure I will never really use. but cool feature. I think I know what im going to do but will think about it over the weekend.

So you can get a heated handlebar Dolmar 5105 with some goodies for 639.00 brand new with a two year warranty (I think) and you left the store without it?

You are making this hard on yourself.

The heated handlebar is nice. That is a Cadillac saw.

So you can get a heated handlebar Dolmar 5105 with some goodies for 639.00 brand new with a two year warranty (I think) and you left the store without it?

You are making this hard on yourself.

The heated handlebar is nice. That is a Cadillac saw.
Ya Im going to go pick it up tomorrow after work. Have decided I want a carb I can work on my self! The Dolmar also has all The stuff I want a saw to have. Ligt weight with good power. In board clutch with a rim sprocket etc.

I think i would rather have the .325 chain over the 3/8 just for limbing and being not so grabby or jumpy.

Latest posts

Back