Need help picking a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn39

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Been going through threads on your web site and decided to join. Joined because I'm in need of a new larger saw. I was really into the Dolmar 5105 for a while and then was told getting parts in Canada is hard. So I then started really looking at the new ms261cm because of the great power to weight ratio. So I'm just looking for a saw to clean up around the yard and keep the wood pile stocked up and then go out with the atv and snowmobile club and clear trails before each season.

What can you guys tell me about the Dolmar? Should I just go with the 261. the 261 has great features like encapsulated bar nuts, good power to weight ration etc. the Dolmar in 550.00 and the 261 is on sale right now for 699 with a wood pro kit included.

I will not be porting it or anything like that so if we could just keep it to stock saw info that would be great.

I feel the Dolmar might be better as well because I can tune it my self where the 261 I have to take it in if anything goes wrong.
thanks for all you're info and help in advance

At $699 for the 261 I’d consider the ms362 for about $50 more. Think you’ll get a kick out of it

Welcome to AS Shawn, now it it's "your site too :D.
I agree with what lonestarstihl said.
It would also help to know what size wood your cutting and how much you cut to keep your woodpile stocked up. Everyones needs are different and knowing them will help give us a better idea of what to recommend. I also suggest running any of the saws you are considering if possible before buying them as not everyone buys them all to try them out :innocent:. I would also think there are other factors that I would not even think of that may be important that people from your local may help out with.

Well I cut soft and hardwood. Cut any wood I can get. Most wood I cut is I guess 6 inch to 12-14 inch. I cut enought to take camping and keep the fire pit in the yard going. If I had to put a number on the amount I would Guess a cord or two a year. Plus the cutting I do during trail clean up. I was thinking 50cc would be more then enough because I'm never in a big hurry when cutting.

The 362 is not 50 bucks more in Canada. They are asking 969 right now not being on sale.
Do you guys know if it is hard to get parts for the Dolmar?

Well I cut soft and hardwood. Cut any wood I can get. Most wood I cut is I guess 6 inch to 12-14 inch. I cut enought to take camping and keep the fire pit in the yard going. If I had to put a number on the amount I would Guess a cord or two a year. Plus the cutting I do during trail clean up. I was thinking 50cc would be more then enough because I'm never in a big hurry when cutting.

The 362 is not 50 bucks more in Canada. They are asking 969 right now not being on sale.
Do you guys know if it is hard to get parts for the Dolmar?
That's 50cc or even 40 cc territory if you ask me depending on how much you cut of each size. Being your a young guy the extra weight shouldn't pose a problem and the extra power will be nice when needed, and make cutting a bit more fun, and when equipment is fun to operate I am more apt to use it ;).
But with the cost of saws up there and the amount you are cutting at present a 40cc saw would do you just fine as it may add a little time to the cut, but if you are cutting a 1/4 cord at a time how much time would you really be losing, not much.
I lean more to husky saws, but own many stihls as well as a few dolmars too, and I don't like the offerings in the husky lineup for 40cc. I have two 241's I do a lot of cutting with and enjoy running them, but I've not ran the 421 dolmar(I have watch guys cut with them and they cut well), but they look like a great option.

Seeing that your a mechanic and that your not needing this saw to work with it every day I don't see dealer support being the most important thing as parts for all these saws can be ordered, but the stihl parts are the hardest to get if you don't have a dealer.
The dolmar parts should not be a problem to order.

I will also say both husky and stihl have great farm ranch saws in the 50cc class, the ms251 and the 450 rancher. These saws would easily take care of any cutting you are doing and much more for many years to come(I've seen 445 ranchers cut well over 200 cord) if properly maintained and running non ethanol fuel, and they are much cheaper than the pro saws. For your needs I can't see advising a new pro saw, I could cut all the wood you are talking about cutting in a couple hrs with either of those two saws and have fun doing it.

I don't think the Dolmar magnesium 50cc saw is available up here anymore (EA5000?). The aluminum one is (DCS5121). The mag saw is the "hot" one. The aluminum one is probably a very good saw too. Without a doubt the best of the 50cc "ranch" saws. Although a couple of models of Echos might be close.
I wouldn't worry about parts.
The 43cc Makita (Dolmar for crap sake!) is a fantastic saw. DCS4300 or something like that. It is the Dolmar 421.
The Makita nomenclature sucks bad! And it also sucks that they are not bringing their best 50cc saw here. What's up with that??!!

Anyway, I would seriously consider Dolmar in the 40-60cc range, although you got it right looking at 50cc for your uses I think.

Echo has a promotion on right now and you can buy a CS501P for 549.00...

I own a Dolmar 420 and that is one heck of a little saw. It is virtually the same as the Dolmar 421 and the Makita EA4300. It would be perfect for clearing trails and such. The perfect camping saw. Don't underestimate this saw!

If you can find a Maruyama MCV51 that is exactly the same as the hot 50cc Dolmar. Bloody confusing when companies buy companies and companies put their names on other company's stuff and such.

The pro Stihl and Husky saws up here are electronically controlled gizmos now. Stupid. And expensive. If money doesn't matter buy one. They will be the lightest and most powerful in their class. They better be for the price they want. And we are splitting hairs on the lightest and most powerful thing.

People keep recommending "farm" saws. IDK, I have run a couple of different sized Husky Ranchers and I personally wouldn't own one of those. Once you've run a hot pro saw they seem pretty boring. Like really boring.

If you want a laugh search "the hot crazy matrix". Watch the short video, get a laugh, and decide if you want to work in the fun zone or the marrying zone.

HA!

I wouldn't really worry about parts availability. Good fuel and routine maintenance and a good saw will serve you well for many years. A good 50cc pro saw will definitely put a smile on your face. Get what you want and don't over-think it. I have stihl, echo and husky saws. Some over 10 yrs. old and I've only ever had to replace one clutch cover at about $30.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I am an extremely satisfied MS362C-M (2nd generation :p) owner. I've had this saw for less than a year but it completely won me over. If you can afford it, buy it and it's all the saw you'll ever need bar working up in trees or cutting down really large stuff. My only tip: 20" is the longest bar I'd run, but I am personally very happy with an 18".

Regarding Dolmar/Makita parts and service availability. It has always been a major issue here and the reason Dolmar's are so rare despite being generally excellent saws: no dealers, with the few saws available generally being odd ones at rural shops.
In recent years the problem has solved itself through Internet: you can buy a saw from Germany and have the same dealership send you spares when needed. I am sure there are several Dolmar dealerships in the US that will be happy to sell you all the spares you'll ever need.

I am an extremely satisfied MS362C-M (2nd generation :p) owner. I've had this saw for less than a year but it completely won me over. If you can afford it, buy it and it's all the saw you'll ever need bar working up in trees or cutting down really large stuff. My only tip: 20" is the longest bar I'd run, but I am personally very happy with an 18".

Regarding Dolmar/Makita parts and service availability. It has always been a major issue here and the reason Dolmar's are so rare despite being generally excellent saws: no dealers, with the few saws available generally being odd ones at rural shops.
In recent years the problem has solved itself through Internet: you can buy a saw from Germany and have the same dealership send you spares when needed. I am sure there are several Dolmar dealerships in the US that will be happy to sell you all the spares you'll ever need.
Being a member of this site helps too. Many good dealers and sponsors here to get you anything you need.

Hello all. Been going through threads on your web site and decided to join. Joined because I'm in need of a new larger saw. I was really into the Dolmar 5105 for a while and then was told getting parts in Canada is hard. So I then started really looking at the new ms261cm because of the great power to weight ratio. So I'm just looking for a saw to clean up around the yard and keep the wood pile stocked up and then go out with the atv and snowmobile club and clear trails before each season.

What can you guys tell me about the Dolmar? Should I just go with the 261. the 261 has great features like encapsulated bar nuts, good power to weight ration etc. the Dolmar in 550.00 and the 261 is on sale right now for 699 with a wood pro kit included.

I will not be porting it or anything like that so if we could just keep it to stock saw info that would be great.

I feel the Dolmar might be better as well because I can tune it my self where the 261 I have to take it in if anything goes wrong.
thanks for all you're info and help in advance
MillerModSaws has 2 ported 5105s up for sale that you may be interested in. He's also a dealer that could help with parts if ever needed.

I don't think the Dolmar magnesium 50cc saw is available up here anymore (EA5000?). The aluminum one is (DCS5121). The mag saw is the "hot" one. The aluminum one is probably a very good saw too. Without a doubt the best of the 50cc "ranch" saws. Although a couple of models of Echos might be close.
I wouldn't worry about parts.
The 43cc Makita (Dolmar for crap sake!) is a fantastic saw. DCS4300 or something like that. It is the Dolmar 421.
The Makita nomenclature sucks bad! And it also sucks that they are not bringing their best 50cc saw here. What's up with that??!!

Anyway, I would seriously consider Dolmar in the 40-60cc range, although you got it right looking at 50cc for your uses I think.

Echo has a promotion on right now and you can buy a CS501P for 549.00...

I own a Dolmar 420 and that is one heck of a little saw. It is virtually the same as the Dolmar 421 and the Makita EA4300. It would be perfect for clearing trails and such. The perfect camping saw. Don't underestimate this saw!

If you can find a Maruyama MCV51 that is exactly the same as the hot 50cc Dolmar. Bloody confusing when companies buy companies and companies put their names on other company's stuff and such.

The pro Stihl and Husky saws up here are electronically controlled gizmos now. Stupid. And expensive. If money doesn't matter buy one. They will be the lightest and most powerful in their class. They better be for the price they want. And we are splitting hairs on the lightest and most powerful thing.

People keep recommending "farm" saws. IDK, I have run a couple of different sized Husky Ranchers and I personally wouldn't own one of those. Once you've run a hot pro saw they seem pretty boring. Like really boring.

If you want a laugh search "the hot crazy matrix". Watch the short video, get a laugh, and decide if you want to work in the fun zone or the marrying zone.

HA!

I want to be in the fub zone!! I want a good saw not a plastic saw. Being a tech I dont like to buy cheap. I want good saw that some day I can pass down to my boy.

I wouldn't really worry about parts availability. Good fuel and routine maintenance and a good saw will serve you well for many years. A good 50cc pro saw will definitely put a smile on your face. Get what you want and don't over-think it. I have stihl, echo and husky saws. Some over 10 yrs. old and I've only ever had to replace one clutch cover at about $30.

Thanks. I think thats great advice

Latest posts

Back