Need help picking a saw please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Userj8670

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good afternoon all! I have a old Sachs Dolmar 114 but I seem to desire a few more cc' s. I have been trying to find a 133 but can't seem to. I would like to stick with the Dolmar brand but am quite ignorant to saws unlike many of you. I have been reviewing and reading up on the 7900 series and it seems promising.

Parts availability aside, what's the difference between say a 133 and 7900 series from a performance stand point? What's a good price for the 133? 7900 series?

Any help/ education is appreciated !

Jim

Good afternoon all! I have a old Sachs Dolmar 114 but I seem to desire a few more cc' s. I have been trying to find a 133 but can't seem to. I would like to stick with the Dolmar brand but am quite ignorant to saws unlike many of you. I have been reviewing and reading up on the 7900 series and it seems promising.

Parts availability aside, what's the difference between say a 133 and 7900 series from a performance stand point? What's a good price for the 133? 7900 series?

Any help/ education is appreciated !

Jim
Are you looking for a new saw or used?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

What does one of these go for?

Any insight on a 133?

I've actually read and heard a lot of great things on the 7910. It seems like a solid beast of a saw. I had no idea you could turn a 6400 into a 7900, that's bad ass!.

A 7910 is in the $900 range.

The 133 sounds like a monster, and the bore is chrome lined! That's awesome.

52mm bore
40mm stroke

4.5kw so that's 6.0-6.1hp and probably torquey as hell! Weighs over 20 lbs in cut ready setup and was made from 1979 to 1987.

I have a Sachs Dolmar 112, similar specs to the 114, and can say that a modern 50 class saw seems worlds apart in power. I bought a 550xp last year and am more than pleased. I’m curious about the level up step up you are talking, 114 to 133 is nearly doubling power and weight of the saw you currently have, are you intending to attack much larger wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Sachs Dolmar 112, similar specs to the 114, and can say that a modern 50 class saw seems worlds apart in power. I bought a 550xp last year and am more than pleased. I’m curious about the level up step up you are talking, 114 to 133 is nearly doubling power and weight of the saw you currently have, are you intending to attack much larger wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend with a Stihl 460 and it put my 114 to shame. I - being a man - now just can't let that happen. Lol.

The 114 does cut the wood I need to but considerably slower than I would prefer . I make maple syrup so I'm gathering wood all year for burning.

My thought would be the new 7900 series or 133 would be much faster with power in reserve. This way I can "hang" with my buddies saw. Now is the 7900 or 133 a better saw than the other?

I've actually read and heard a lot of great things on the 7910. It seems like a solid beast of a saw. I had no idea you could turn a 6400 into a 7900, that's bad ass!.

A 7910 is in the $900 range.
Yes, 6400, 7300, 7900 are all built on the same crank case. You can put the 7900 cylinder and piston on either one. I looked at the 6400 before I bought the 6100. I couldn't see buying the 6400 when it was the same weight as the 7900.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

133 is going to have parts availability issues. The 7900-series will not have that drawback for the foreseeable future.

I happen to think the 7900-series is a great platform, and it is the only >50cc platform I have retained over the years.

6400 may still have the higher 13500 RPM coil, making a cylinder swap appealing compared to a 7910 with the 12800 coil. And you can recoup some of your cost by selling off the zero-hour 64cc p/c if you swap before ever runnin the saw.

I'd go with the 64xx/73xx/79xx series if planning on using a lot due to parts availability. If newer I'd start with the 6421 and upgrade due to the higher limited coil. The older 7900s have the higher limited coil as well. They are all great versions of the same great saw even in stock form.

Latest posts

Back