Need help to pick a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32bit.flannel

Reaction score
Hi all,

We are about to purchase a house where the back of the property butts up to the highway. It is several acres away, but the land is all pasture and there are few trees to block it out. It isn't a deal-breaker for us, but I would like to grow a barrier. Here are the factors:

The line of trees will need to span almost 700 feet.

I would like a evergreen so it will continue to perform in the winter.

Living in Northeast Ohio we get very heavy(wet) lake-effect snow in the winter, so it will need to be strong enough to handle that.

There are deer in the area and I know they will eat just about whatever they can. Maybe something that isn't favorable to them.

They use salt on the highway during the winter, so it will need to be tolerant.

Lastly, I would hope for something that will grow tall and fast as possible. The highway is about 10-15 feet higher than our property, they will need to get pretty tall in order to be effective. I don't expect the barrier to really be effective for 5-10 years, but I want to make sure I get the right trees in place so 5-10 years from now I'm not wishing I did things differently.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Nick

Plant two rows of trees, with alternating plantings of Austrian pines & white pines. Space at about 15' apart on triangular spacing. When mature, the white pines should easily fill a 25' gap.

White pines are a little slower growing, but don't suffer from all the disease problems that the faster growing austrian pines will eventually die from. In 20 years, when the austrian pines are getting pretty scraggly looking, just cut them down, and the spacing should be about right for the white pines to still be a tight visual (and sound) barrier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Highway

A__A__A__A__A__A__A__A__A__

_W__W__W__W__W__W__W__W_

I don't know anything,

that said,

spuce, blue or engleman either thrive or die. if they thrive look to thin the row in a few years.

I live in new mexico and it's funny how mesquite (native) and salt cedar (very invasive) love the elevated highway shoulders....

looking forward to this post being dug up in five, ten, and fifteen....twenty.....

Last edited:
Finally my first post!!! I live just north of you in N.E. MI and I too want to build a wall. I ordered 500 blue spruce and 500 red pine a month ago. They will be in saturday and I pick up the tree planter tomorrow. Here the spruce and pine grow fast, 2-3 ft per year. The plan by getting 500 each is to go every other, like- pine -spruce-pine-spruce because the spruce limbs stay low and grow out while red pine shoots up and gives coverage higher up. Eventually the red pine will lose lower coverage but by that time the spruce should have it covered. I have a square 10 acres and plan to do 4 rows on the north and south lines 6' apart. Whatevers left will go on the east lines as the west line is the road. By the way I graduated from UNO in Lima but will never be a buckeye fan lol GO BLUE

Neil

THANK YOU, that makes a good sense (the ASCII picture helps too lol). When you say "15' apart on triangular spacing", is it correct to assume that every tree is to be 15' apart from every other tree, both left to right and the tree in the row next to it?

Plant two rows of trees, with alternating plantings of Austrian pines & white pines. Space at about 15' apart on triangular spacing. When mature, the white pines should easily fill a 25' gap.

White pines are a little slower growing, but don't suffer from all the disease problems that the faster growing austrian pines will eventually die from. In 20 years, when the austrian pines are getting pretty scraggly looking, just cut them down, and the spacing should be about right for the white pines to still be a tight visual (and sound) barrier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Highway

A__A__A__A__A__A__A__A__A__

_W__W__W__W__W__W__W__W_

Latest posts

Back