Need help with a Dogwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We bought this tree, and planted it in the front yard, back earlier this year and watered it like the instructions said to, and all was good, then it got hot.....real hot, and all the leaves trued Brown and fell off, then as the hot temps went away some of the end s started getting green again, now its all brown.
Is it dead? Or should I wait till next year and see what happens?
Here's a couple of pictures

Tips, they "had" buds starting on them last month
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Here's the whole tree
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

And no the rope is NOT too tight, I made sure of that on a daily basis.
were stumped and my wife wanted this in memory of her mom who died in march

the buds are brown like everything else on the tree, after the leaves fell off some green sprouts weer starting to come up they got about 6" long then grew the buds, but then everything turned brown.

Thanks for th info about not haveing to stake it, I only did that cause of severe summer storms and what ever nor' Easter rolls through

well. cant hurt to wait may not be true, some nurseries warranty their trees, if your tree is under warranty, contact the nursery you got it from and see what they say about a new tree

You can scratch the trunk with your fingernail, and slightly bend a small twig. If its hard and has no Cambrian or the twig snaps easily and is dry and brittle,those are not good signs.
Can't hurt leaving it tell spring, it could maybe bounce back, or just sprout from the base, if the roots are still good.

well. cant hurt to wait may not be true, some nurseries warranty their trees, if your tree is under warranty, contact the nursery you got it from and see what they say about a new tree

No warrenty we got it from Lowes on a clearance, it was FULL of laves when we got it too :( I think I'll wait till Spring and see but I AM gonna try what beastmaster said, before I started the Job I have now I was a Groundskeeper with the City as I can almost remember a little
I've had the job doing structural maint for 6 years now, stil classified as a groundskeeper, still have my pesticide registration card, but like the grass plants and other things I can't even remember how to mix roundup without reading the can.

Latest posts

Back