Need help with Poulan 2300, replaced cylinder base gasket and piston ring still wont stay running.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtc16

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My poulan 2300 stopped starting so I found a broken piston ring and a dried up cylinder gasket. Replaced them today and now the saw fires and runs for 1-2 seconds. I start it with my finger on throttle like the instructions say. It just basically fires hard and then dies. Just hoping I could get some suggestions. Hopefully it is just the carb needing tuned but I kind of doubt it because I've tried and lot of configurations trying to start it.

My poulan 2300 stopped starting so I found a broken piston ring and a dried up cylinder gasket. Replaced them today and now the saw fires and runs for 1-2 seconds. I start it with my finger on throttle like the instructions say. It just basically fires hard and then dies. Just hoping I could get some suggestions. Hopefully it is just the carb needing tuned but I kind of doubt it because I've tried and lot of configurations trying to start it.
Sounds like it may not be getting fuel. Clean the carb out very carefully, spray carb cleaner through all the little ports. Dont blow it out with high pressure air. Check your fuel line to see what condition it is in.

Alright thanks. When it ran I cleaned the carb by spraying seafoam while running it, but i'll take it apart and clean it. Could be the fuel line I may have damaged it while taking the saw apart. When I bought the saw it started and ran perfectly. I dropped it off my car and the problems started after that... Hoping its not the crank seal because I've never separated the cases before. I'll keep messing with it. Thanks.

Alright thanks. When it ran I cleaned the carb by spraying seafoam while running it, but i'll take it apart and clean it. Could be the fuel line I may have damaged it while taking the saw apart. When I bought the saw it started and ran perfectly. I dropped it off my car and the problems started after that... Hoping its not the crank seal because I've never separated the cases before. I'll keep messing with it. Thanks.
You dropped it and the problems started? look for what is bent or broken around the carb mount intake area. Does it have an impulse line?

I've only worked with it one time and it stopped working at the end of its first trimming job. So I just know it started and ran fine before I dropped it. But it stopped working actually directly after I cut with it the first day. I don't think it has an impulse line. I've yet to get out there and pull it apart again.

Finally got it running. I left the fuel vent off thinking it wouldn't matter. Real dumb but that was the only issue after replacing the cylinder base gasket, piston ring, and fuel line.

Check the tank, my fuel pick up tube had broke on my 2300.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The thing that the end of the fuel line in the tank goes onto. I thought it was called the fuel vent. I guess its a fuel filter or pick up tube as smakdown said. Whatever its called I'm going to replace it if I can find one cheap enough. The saw runs but it sometimes acts like its running out of gas when its not, I assume its that piece on the end of the fuelline.

Yes, the fuel filter usually has a weight in it, so it stays below the fuel level as long as possible.
Wow, I cannot log onto anything on the internet right now, except Arboristsite!!! Talk about weird...

Yea I was calling the fuel filter the fuel vent. I got what I paid for with the 2300 so far I guess. $40 for the saw and I've already put in $55 in parts and a new bar and chain. Its useable right now, maybe a new fuel filter will be the final fix i need.

I'd replace the fuel line. Tygon 3/32" ID costs $1.25/ft at auto parts store like Oreillys. Real easy job on this saw. And you probably have a carb dis-assembly and cleaning to do.

I already put a new fuel line. I don't know what size I got, though. I brought in the old one and we found the closest looking match.

And the fuel line is exposed behind the handle and there is nothing to hook a biner to besides the handle which then pinches the fuel line. And it gushes oil so bad.. Before I found this 2300 on craigslist my onlt top handle saw was a Makita cordless electric 12". The makita is great for smaller stuff and can even do 10-12" chunks but I wanted something faster for dropping larger whole limbs. I went the cheap route and now I got this little green oil gusher.

Back