Need input on easy starting saw for friend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struggle

Got stumps?
Reaction score
A friend 83 years young wants to get a new saw that is easy on his shoulder to start and not break the bank.

I suggested a MS211 or Husqvarna 335 I think it is.

Any other thoughts?

He is currently using a 021 now but the case where the bar mounts is cracked and while it works it is leaking oil like crazy I guess.

Easy start Stihl.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/do6ti76YSJ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My uncle has one, and honestly my 83-year-old grandma started it. Slow smooth pull like lifting a 4-5lb weight from your waist to your shoulder.

Easy start Stihl.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/do6ti76YSJ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What size saw? My 94 yr old grandpa loves his stihl ms180 with the easy start thingy ma bob. Would suggest anywhere from a ms180-250.

Wow Brad that was impressive.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you don't have the strength to start a saw, you probably shouldn't be using one.

Wow Brad that was impressive.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you don't have the strength to start a saw, you probably shouldn't be using one.

he never said he didnt have the strength to start on, just one thats easier on his shoulder...

To me it seems the older homelites were easy to start then the new ones, but I don't know.

My 445 is the only pull start machine I've ever owned (including saws, trimmers, DR's, mowers etc..) that both my wife and father can start. It instantantly turned them from hinderers into almost helpers! The only reason I mention it in place of the 435 is that it is a very surprising amount of saw for the money/weight, and in fact has totally replaced my 359 for limbing and small felling. I have also yet to have a problem with the single bar nut, which I hate the look of, but seems quite adequate for the 16" bar.
Probably can't go wrong with any of the excellent suggestions posted so far.
jon

Dolmar PS420! It's a solid pro built saw with great power.

[video=youtube_share;s2Jv9I1jGkk]http://youtu.be/s2Jv9I1jGkk[/video]

I agree the Dolmar 420 is probably the easiest starting saw, it practically starts itself and can be had for less than a MS211C. The MS211C would be a good alternative if you can't get a 420.

My father needed a new saw a year or two ago. His said his old homelite was getting too hard to start. I bought him a 211 stihl with easy start. Any of the easy start saws are...well...easy to start. :rolleyes2: But being the man he is, went out and bought a 362 a few months later. :bang: In hindsight, I realize now, he was just looking for a reason to buy a new saw.

Me and my wife bought her 85 year old dad a easy start ms180, I am NOT impressed with it. I bought my wife a Dolmar 420 and am very impressed with it. Close in price not close in quality, the dolmar is a much better built saw. Whatever saw you choose I would say use good fuel and don't let the saw sit with fuel in it. And also be carefull. PPE!!!

Me and my wife bought her 85 year old dad a easy start ms180, I am NOT impressed with it. I bought my wife a Dolmar 420 and am very impressed with it. Close in price not close in quality, the dolmar is a much better built saw.

There are a few easy start saws out there, but as Andy said when you factor in price vs. quality one clear winner stands out.

I agree the Dolmar 420 is probably the easiest starting saw, it practically starts itself and can be had for less than a MS211C. The MS211C would be a good alternative if you can't get a 420.

To my eyes, the dolmar still looks like you need more of a vigorous pull to start over the video of the easy start stihl. The stihl looked like you could pull out the cord slow and it would still start.

To my eyes, the dolmar still looks like you need more of a vigorous pull to start over the video of the easy start stihl. The stihl looked like you could pull out the cord slow and it would still start.

I agree. The stihls look much smoother where the dolmar still seems jerky. And jerky will be rough on the shoulder! I am not very impressed with the ms180 either, but a 211 or 250 would be ok I think. My cousin has a 250 and he likes it. Ive never used it though.

Latest posts

Back