Need opinions on new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the brave model is the 22 ton one: Brave Products, Inc. - Products

the american I am not sure which model it is, but it has a honda gx 160cc engine (5.5 hp), rated 22 ton, horizontal/vertical, 8"tires.

they both seem pretty close in spec except the american looks "beefier" built, and may have a larger oil tank, I am not sure though because I dont know the model of the american, the tank sure seems bigger looking at it though. the american is $500 more.

Get the American

I bought one this year (with the lift). They were a joy to work with when configuring and it runs like a champ. I'll pass it to my children- it's that well built.

log splitter

I have the Iron -oak log splitter I like it alot , can't say about the american, if I had to do it again I would get the Iron and Oak.

TedMI

100_0079.jpg

I also put on the log cradle , helps alot.

100_0102.jpg

Last edited:
I have had the Brave 26 ton splitter for 6 years and have had 0 problems with it. It has the Briggs Intek engine instead of the Honda and I have been pleasantly surprised with it, I am not saying it is as good as the Honda but I have had no issues at all. The Iron and Oak splitters are made by Brave at their plant in Steator, Illinois. That is the top of the line models and the Brave is the entry level. I have heard the Speeco slitters are good but have had no first hand expericence with them or the American. I would get the one that provides the best customer support after the sale. Enjoy your new splitter!

Steve

I'm 6 feet tall and the 22 ton Huskee is the perfect working height for me. I have split 40 inch bur oak rounds with it. Hard part was getting them to the splitter. Some that fell over got quartered where the lay, lol. I have gotten to where I don't split crotches anymore. It'll do it, but the pieces aren't to my liking. They come out much better if I noodle them.

the brave model is the 22 ton one: Brave Products, Inc. - Products

the american I am not sure which model it is, but it has a honda gx 160cc engine (5.5 hp), rated 22 ton, horizontal/vertical, 8"tires.

they both seem pretty close in spec except the american looks "beefier" built, and may have a larger oil tank, I am not sure though because I dont know the model of the american, the tank sure seems bigger looking at it though. the american is $500 more.

I'd never buy a horizontal / Vertical.
Strictly horizontal. The 2-way has so many design flaws...look at that I&O picture. I'd have that hydraulic filter broke off in about 10 minutes. Why? MURPHY'S LAW.
And NO 4-way capability?? Seriously?

Spend the coin on a horizontal with a log lift. You'll be better off by far.

Well Oldtimer it amazes me that anyone would split horizontal. I find a nice round that is the correct height to sit on as I sit behind the splitter in the vertical. I have unsplit material on one side and as I process the wood I toss it into a pile on the other side. Not much lifting just rolling the big pieces and tossing the little ones. No back strain, and lots of fun. Big rounds are noodled prior to splitting day. Whatever works for you is fine, this is just my way of doing the job.

Steve

To each his own.

I would find that cumbersome and s..............l..............o...........w.
Gimme a 4 way on a horizontal with a log lift. I want the job done fast.

To each his own.

I would find that cumbersome and s..............l..............o...........w.
Gimme a 4 way on a horizontal with a log lift. I want the job done fast.

I'm with you, I can't stand running them vertically. 90% of what I split is done with the Fiskars. For the crotches and tougher stuff, I save it up and borrow a Huskee splitter when I've got a good pile going. I'm more likely to split or noodle the large rounds in half then lift them up on the splitter.

Latest posts

Back